Backhoe Dolly

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
I was thinking of making up a backhoe dolly (BT 602 @ 617 lbs) using an old bed frame (1 1/2 angle x 1/8 thick). Heavy enough or go buy some square tube?

Thanks

Mike.O

Equipment
B2650
Mar 28, 2017
CT
here is mine.....I don't think an old bed frame is strong enough.
Looks good! Im going to make one soon, I'll frame the base out of wood (I'm not a welder). My question is what happens when the cylinders drift? Do you have issues with that, especially the boom/stick? It looks like if the stabilizers drift, it will just rest on the BH frame, so doesn't look like drifting on those would be a huge issue?

Would it be possible to get the BH on the dolly with the anti-drift boom latch secured?

Repair

Equipment
2017 L2501 - 2020 L2501
Apr 17, 2017
Lebanon, TN
Looks good! Im going to make one soon, I'll frame the base out of wood (I'm not a welder). My question is what happens when the cylinders drift? Do you have issues with that, especially the boom/stick? It looks like if the stabilizers drift, it will just rest on the BH frame, so doesn't look like drifting on those would be a huge issue?

Would it be possible to get the BH on the dolly with the anti-drift boom latch secured?

I have thought about setting it all the way down the next time I have it on the tractor.

I'm sure you could have the latch on but I wanted the bucket out for more stability

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Hi Andy - I think you may be OK with the bed frame, depending on your design. It is also easy to make a wooden one. My 4572 weighs about the same and it is on a 2x6 dolly. Definitely was worth the time I spent building it. The boom stays due to friction. I have tied the outriggers up to keep it compact.

Attachments

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
IMG_2586.jpg
You can make a quick dolly with a couple HF Dolly's and some scrap OSB. Under $20 invested and an hours worth of work.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Thanks all. I am having second thoughts about the bed frame idea - I could beef it up but by the time you do that I wonder if its worth it. Could certainly do wood one -already have the wheels and woodworking is a hobby (for about 40 years now). My welding is not so good but this seems like the perfect project to try and improve that, so I lean that way.

I found some heavier material in my stash but I will have to think about how I would put it together.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Don't have any pics of it, but I helped the neighbor build a dolly for his box blade. We utilized several ideas as stated above. He had HF dollies and we connected them with angle iron from an old bedframe. Kind of a cross between Repair's, Lencho's, & bearskinner's.