Baby sitting.....Grandpa Style......

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
My daughter dropped off the kids yesterday and I decided to do a little landscaping. I had my grandson pull this little tree.

It took him about 2 hours with the ripper tooth.

I'm not sure he understood what the ripper tooth was supposed to do at first, so it took a little coaching, but he finally got it.

After lunch we went back outside and he said " Hey Grandpa, watch this!" .....ran to the tractor, and to my amazement, he proceeded to stand on the clutch with both feet and reach under and around the steering wheel to the key, and started the tractor by himself.....

Now I'm gonna have to have the "the talk" about not starting the tractor without me around. LOL

20230603_125610[1].jpg

20230603_125656[1].jpg

Reactions: 10 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Seeing your neighborhood makes not feel so funny having a 50hp tractor on my 2 acres. However, I maintain a 40 acre family estate with it as well. Good on the kid learning how to work with equipment! I have a grandson due in July and can't wait to teach him about tractors and chainsaws and stuff.

Reactions: 5 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My daughter dropped off the kids yesterday and I decided to do a little landscaping. I had my grandson pull this little tree.

I'm not sure he understood what the ripper tooth was supposed to do at first, so it took a little coaching, but he finally got it.

After lunch we went back outside and he said " Hey Grandpa, watch this!" .....ran to the tractor, and to my amazement, he proceeded to stand on the clutch with both feet and reach under and around the steering wheel to the key, and started the tractor by himself.....

Now I'm gonna have to have the "the talk" about not starting the tractor without me around. LOL

View attachment 104174

View attachment 104175
Looking at the neighborhood, (assuming that is your neighborhood) I'll be surprised if the neighbors don't soon start complaining about your "stuff".
Sub-division folks generally do not have proper appreciation for tractors 'n things.

Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Good

View attachment 104174

View attachment 104175
Good to start them early. My son is 28. He was into sports and academics and hunting. He stayed busy and worked hard, just no interest at all in equipment, home maintenance, land maintenance, vehicle maintenance. He says he now regrets not paying attention when he was a kid. He’s moved back to a house on the property and part of that was he’s committed to learning how to care for a house, car, equipment, and operation of equipment to maintain land. He’s not bad at it now that he’s committed to doing it but he’s way behind those who started early.

Reactions: 3 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Looking at the neighborhood, (assuming that is your neighborhood) I'll be surprised if the neighbors don't soon start complaining about your "stuff".
Sub-division folks generally do not have proper appreciation for tractors 'n things.
Hahahah....Yes sir Fried, that is my neighborhood. That tune by Johnny Cash called "I walk the line" comes to mind.

There are rules that I have to "skirt and dance" around for sure. And for the most part I do. For instance, the tractor goes (and the implements) in the garage at night.

That being said, ~18 years ago I installed a 'rock-scape" lawn in the front yard, and an inground pool that covers my entire back yard, because I have always hated pushing a lawnmower. I have no grass whatsoever.

The association has successfully sued 10 or 15 others for various violations, so rest assured, I am within the rules of the By-Laws.

Although technically I am within the parameters of the association, the neighbors have not been thrilled about my "rock-scape look" for about 18 years.

Therefore, I theorize that they are giving me some latitude regarding tractor usage since I told them I was putting grass back in.

I also think that I have "out grown" this neighborhood, and it will be easier to sell this joint if it looks more "Normal" (y)

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hahahah....Yes sir Fried, that is my neighborhood. That tune by Johnny Cash called "I walk the line" comes to mind.

There are rules that I have to "skirt and dance" around for sure. And for the most part I do. For instance, the tractor goes (and the implements) in the garage at night.

That being said, ~18 years ago I installed a 'rock-scape" lawn in the front yard, and an inground pool that covers my entire back yard, because I have always hated pushing a lawnmower. I have no grass whatsoever.

The association has successfully sued 10 or 15 others for various violations, so rest assured, I am within the rules of the By-Laws.

Although technically I am within the parameters of the association, the neighbors have not been thrilled about my "rock-scape look" for about 18 years.

Therefore, I theorize that they are giving me some latitude regarding tractor usage since I told them I was putting grass back in.

I also think that I have "out grown" this neighborhood, and it will be easier to sell this joint if it looks more "Normal" (y)
"Because I have always hated pushing a lawnmower"

There is a wonderful solution to that!
I have a SCAG 48" Kawasaki powered zero turn, that I absolutely love.
It is fast, and a bit like a bumper car ride at Disney World.

Remember: I am rapidly headed for 83, so am very easily amused.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
"Because I have always hated pushing a lawnmower"
Same here. My solution is the L4240 with a 7-1/2' RFM. Most of the obstacles have mulch around them. The rest get touched up with a trimmer. A few small spots get trimmed each time I mow and others range from every third time to three or four times a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

View attachment 104174

View attachment 104175
Your gonna have to hide the key 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

My cousin ran my grandfather's old Ford 8n into his garage when he was around 8yo 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

When he was 6yo he fired up gramps lawn mower 😂🤣😂🤣🤣🤣

My brother had my dad's tractor over to his place when my nephew was around 4. He had enough sense to keep the key in his pocket.

Nephew would go over, climb up into the seat. And then yell for the next couple hours on repeat "Dad!!!!! I Need The Keys!!!!!!!" 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

tsp159

Equipment
B7100D
Feb 8, 2023
Fort Bend Texas
I'm glad you're not the only one rocking a tractor in the tract homes! My neighborhood mostly has the postage stamp sized lots, but mine is a very, very large size due to a very odd layout of the streets and common spaces. My little B7100 looks like an overgrown lawn mower so nobody minds it too much. :ROFLMAO:

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Start them young. No utilities were involved in the planting strip?

Your poor tractor, I’ll bet it gets bored there in town.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Start them young. No utilities were involved in the planting strip?

Your poor tractor, I’ll bet it gets bored there in town.
No utilities, I called Miss Dig a few days ago, and the tractor is well cared for. (y)

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI

View attachment 104174

View attachment 104175
Future construction operator right there. Nice job starting them young! When I was Forman some guys didn't even know how to use a wheel barrow or what end of the hose to hook up to the house.