B8200 questions, Thinking about buying

smullen17

Dec 13, 2010
Glenmoore, PA
Looked at a B8200 with belly mower. It is a gear drive unit. Unsure of hours gauge not working. Tractor started up in cold weather. Engine is smoking at idle, appears to clear up under load while driving or having mower engaged. I am new to diesels. Is this normal, does it need injectors or something more? Also, 3pt hyd are not working. What's invloved? Potential cost. Tractor is reasonable priced but do not want to buy anything past repair or costing too much. Thanks for your help and advice

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
They are good units. Don't know what to tell you about the hour meter, you're just gonna have to take that one on the word of the owner. Not sure why it would smoke under idle. Maybe after you first start it up, but after she is a little warm, it shouldn't have much low RPM smoke. Likely not injectors, would more than likely be valves or rings if she is pulling oil into the motor.

The 3PH only goes down with weight, it isn't hydraulic down, only hydraulic up. You may want to press the lever down, then stand on the arms to see if they go down. Then you can see if the the hydraulics raise them back up. There is a control valve under the seat that sets how fast the arms will go down, you may also want to check that valve.

Be careful on the maintenance stuff. If you can talk the owner into draining the tranny fluid and checking the hydraulic filter screen, that would be ideal. That will tell you somewhat of a history on what kind of maintenance it has had. If that screen is all plugged up and nasty, you may want to pass on the tractor. The screen is located on the RH side of the tractor, below and slightly to the rear of the break pedals. You can search the site here for pictures on exactly what it looks like.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

mud from mo

Equipment
b8200
Dec 17, 2010
New Melle MO
I've had a B8200 for 15 years. Almost indestructable, if you don't mind a few dents. Check to see if the brakes will hold on a hill with the "parking Brake". The little notched piece to the left of the brakes. Mine dosen't and can be a pain.

phildac

Equipment
1984 B8200E, L260F
Jul 29, 2009
Wentzville, MO
mud from mo,

You can adjust the brakes so the parking lever will hold them. I had to adjust mine on my B8200 when I bought it. I can't wait for snow so I can test my refinished 6 foot blade.
[/IMG]

Last edited: