B7100 won't start, turns over fine

bluewater

Equipment
B7100
May 28, 2015
Montana
HI, would love some advice. Started my tractor this winter, no problem, backed it half way out to of the barn and it rainout of fuel. Now it will turnover but not fire at all, thin black smoke out the exhaust.
1. Will not start with starting fluid at all
2. Tried to bleed the injector lines, saw fuel, but never sprayed fuel after a minute of cranking. ? Do I need to do one at a time?
3. Filled tank with fresh fuel, but 1/5 leaked out, cannot tell where.
4. Decomp knob didn't help either.

? Could the battery be too weak to heat glow plugs even if freshly charged?
Fuel filter?
Thanks, Bluewater Orchard

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
bluewater, this product ("Will not start with starting fluid at all") can dramatically increase the cost of your tractor's operation.

Do not use it. If you can not get your engine to run, correct all the possibilities to get it to run correctly. The explosion of starting fluid can leave you with an engine with major internal damage.

I would suggest if you were low on fuel all winter you may have water in the tank, or even algae.

Since you had some black exhaust you are getting some fuel through the engine.

Did you replace the fuel filter? If not I would. With the filter off be sure fuel is running through the line (to the filter housing). Then bleed fuel system. Have lines loose at injectors and turn engine over in 20 sec. and wait 20 second intervals (so you don't burn up starter.) When fuel is noticed at injector, tighten that nut. Continue with the other two lines.

When all lines have fuel and nuts are tight, engine should (will) start.

Don't let your tractor set all winter without filling the fuel tank. Much less concern with condensation build up. Water in diesel will cause the grief!

bluewater

Equipment
B7100
May 28, 2015
Montana
THanks, that is roughly my plan if I can find a fuel filter for it in Montana. I think the fuel leaked out over the winter, but can't tell where, if it does't sound like the plugs, I'll forget the starting fluid and change the filter, bleed the lines again and cross my fingers. Tank looks clean, no algae likely in the desert there, but sure could have been dirt in the tank,

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Fuel should not be leaking out. You must have a loose clamp, a bad hose, or loose fitting. You need to discover where/why and fix it. It is probably sucking air there also, which will cause starting problems.

bluewater

Equipment
B7100
May 28, 2015
Montana
Good advice, I did already tighten the clamps, but should get a little supply of hose/fuel line at NAPA etc. also before I start taking it apart. Thanks again.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
I failed to mention, when you're trying to get the engine to start, make sure the fuel lever is NOT in the slow position. Have it wide open, you need fuel!

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Could very well be an air leak!!!