B7100 transmission shim question

airheadrob

Equipment
Kubota B7100
Apr 23, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
Hello, I have a 1983 B7100, I am replacing the FWD shaft inside the gearbox as it has suffered a bit of a catastrophe, I'll post the story when it is fixed. After the gearbox was lifted out I found a shim on the floor that must have come from the gearbox. Would anyone be able to tell me where it would have come from? (photo attached) I can't a shim on the WSM drawing.
Thanks in anticipation,
Rob Hargreaves, Howick, NZ
B7100 gearbox shim.jpg

MountainMeadows

Equipment
L2501, JD 655, Ford 841, JD 6x4 Gator, Gravely 432.
Jun 6, 2022
Poconos, PA
It looks to me like it matches the upper bearing race and would most likely go in the bore that lines up with that bearing to adjust shaft end play.

Reactions: 1 user

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
It looks to me like it matches the upper bearing race and would most likely go in the bore that lines up with that bearing to adjust shaft end play.
I agree. From the looks of what is there and the size of it, that would be my guess too.

airheadrob

Equipment
Kubota B7100
Apr 23, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
Thank you for the quick reply, I'll check what you have suggested and post another reply
The shim fits over the two ball bearings on the upper centre shaft very neatly, I can slip it over these bearings but I can't see that it would have any effect on the shaft end play, is this the place referred to in the post 579682?
Thanks,
airheadrob