B7100 Sector Shaft Replacement

MrRedfive

Equipment
Kubota B7200d
May 16, 2024
England
I must be missing something???
Every measurement in your pictures matches that one I put up on eBay?
The 26.13 measurement does not matter.
I’ve bought two sectors of the correct part number for the correct model, which are exactly the same as the two you linked, exactly the same dimensions and they are both too small, they are literally completely different shafts. This is what’s confusing the situation, I suspect at some point the steering box on my 7200 has been swapped with a different model and as such I can’t find the correct sector. The front part needs to be 27mm to fit correctly and the rear needs to 22mm to fit into the cover on the side of the steering box. This is why I’m hoping the original poster who uploaded the photo I replied to can tell me what it’s from as it’s the only one I’ve seen in many hours of looking that matches my one.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok we'll back up a little:
First: The chances of the OP coming back on here is slim to none, as this thread is 10 years old.
Second: I'm not seeing anywhere where he states the dimensions?
Third: He also states that the shaft is the one I posted:

I'm looking at the pic and I'm not seeing a difference in the shaft ends, I'm also not seeing it on yours.
Yea the center is fatter but that surface simply does not matter as long as the bearing surfaces are the same then it will work.

Give me the tractors serial number and maybe there is some variable there that we do not see.

Also if you would give me the measurement of your shaft just like they did in this picture:

1715901197240.png

MrRedfive

Equipment
Kubota B7200d
May 16, 2024
England
Ok we'll back up a little:
First: The chances of the OP coming back on here is slim to none, as this thread is 10 years old.
Second: I'm not seeing anywhere where he states the dimensions?
Third: He also states that the shaft is the one I posted:

I'm looking at the pic and I'm not seeing a difference in the shaft ends, I'm also not seeing it on yours.
Yea the center is fatter but that surface simply does not matter as long as the bearing surfaces are the same then it will work.

Give me the tractors serial number and maybe there is some variable there that we do not see.

Also if you would give me the measurement of your shaft just like they did in this picture:

View attachment 128540
I was hopeful the user kubotasam would see my post as under his profile it said he was last active yesterday. But as I’m new to this type of forum then maybe I’m wrong.

it’s very late here but I’ll post more pics tomorrow to try and explain better. In my steering box the shaft behind the splines does not sit in a bearing, it sits in the metal casting of the steering box with an oil seal on the outside. (I’ve attached a pic that I happen to have on my phone, I’ll get better ones tomorrow). Therefore the diameter of the shaft needs to be the same as the opening or it will move and break, and one in the pic you posted which is the same as the replacement I have doesn’t fit, it’s too small. I’ve literally put it in the steering box and it won’t work. I wish it would as I currently have a very immobile tractor that I need to use.

(just an edit to say that you have given me an idea that I could replace the oil seal with a bearing which may solve my problem. )

Attachments

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Perhaps this place has a complete steering box assembly for your tractor? You will need to call according to the website

And could the box you have be from a B7001 that can become a B7100 in some cases?
If you provide the serial number then @North Idaho Wolfman can help better identify your tractor.

MrRedfive

Equipment
Kubota B7200d
May 16, 2024
England
Perhaps this place has a complete steering box assembly for your tractor? You will need to call according to the website

And could the box you have be from a B7001 that can become a B7100 in some cases?
If you provide the serial number then @North Idaho Wolfman can help better identify your tractor.
Thanks, I’ll certainly contact them as I suspect replacing the whole thing would be a lot easier, although finding the right one has proven difficult.

Will post the serial number tomorrow when I get up.

This is a link to what looks like the exact same steering box as mine. But I can’t find one in the uk and none of the us sellers have replied regarding shipping abroad.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Thanks, I’ll certainly contact them as I suspect replacing the whole thing would be a lot easier, although finding the right one has proven difficult.

Will post the serial number tomorrow when I get up.

This is a link to what looks like the exact same steering box as mine. But I can’t find one in the uk and none of the us sellers have replied regarding shipping abroad.

I hope you find what you need. I did not notice you were in England.

I have heard good things about Kumar Brothers and there is another vendor in Cyprus (?) that seems to be able to supply parts for odd things. See this site

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think we might be getting to the bottom of this.
Some EU units are not the same as the USA units, hence why there might be some confusion.
Or yes it could be very possible that someone has swapped parts around, and that does make it very difficult to find the right parts.
Try comparing dimensions on these:

MrRedfive

Equipment
Kubota B7200d
May 16, 2024
England
I hope you find what you need. I did not notice you were in England.

I have heard good things about Kumar Brothers and there is another vendor in Cyprus (?) that seems to be able to supply parts for odd things. See this site
Thank you for helping, I’ve emailed the Kumar bros a couple of times with no response, which is a shame as they have exactly what I need. I had a quick look on the other website but nothing came up but I’ll try again later.

MrRedfive

Equipment
Kubota B7200d
May 16, 2024
England
Some EU units are not the same as the USA units, hence why there might be some confusion.
Or yes it could be very possible that someone has swapped parts around, and that does make it very difficult to find the right parts.

Thanks for helping, this makes a lot of sense. I’ll reply in an hour or so with some updated pics and measurements and hopefully the serial number.

MrRedfive

Equipment
Kubota B7200d
May 16, 2024
England

Ok, I’ve attached some pics of the old broken sector and the correct replacement which doesn’t fit, along with a pic of the replacement in the steering box. You can see a gap around it in the housing. It may be possible to get a bearing of the correct size to replace the oil seal and hold the smaller shaft but this then gives me the problem of the new sector being too small for the pitman arm. The serial number is B7200D61121. I hope all this helps and makes sense as it’s driving me insane.
thanks again for everyone’s help with this.

edited to add the teeth on both the old broken sector and the new replacement are exactly the dimensions.

Attachments

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Well I am a bit confused by the title saying B7100 but now the serial number ans prof information is a B7200.

I am now assuming that you need the part for the B7200 and will see if I can find anything

@Mountainman may react and have information or parts see this thread about a tractor junkyard that he has

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well I am a bit confused by the title saying B7100 but now the serial number ans prof information is a B7200.

I am now assuming that you need the part for the B7200 and will see if I can find anything

@Mountainman may react and have information or parts see this thread about a tractor junkyard that he has
Russell, the OP had a B7100, Kubotasam put up a picture that @MrRedfive thinks looks like the sector shaft he needs.
The B7100 and the B7200 took the same sector shaft.

Now to complicate the issue further, his B7200 is in EU, and the serial number does not come up as a B7200, it comes up to a B8200.
His steering gear case does not match a B7200 or a B8200.
It's possible that someone has changed the steering gear to some unknown case.

MrRedfive

Equipment
Kubota B7200d
May 16, 2024
England
Russell, the OP had a B7100, Kubotasam put up a picture that @MrRedfive thinks looks like the sector shaft he needs.

Now to complicate the issue further, his B7200 is in EU, and the serial number does not come up as a B7200, it comes up to a B8200.
Now everyone’s as confused as I am. Thanks again everyone for helping. Ever since I’ve owned the tractor I knew the steering needed fixing and I’ve tried many many times over the years to get to the bottom of what’s going on and I’ve always drawn a blank. I think unless the OP magically surfaces to shed some light on it I don’t think we’ll ever know. On the upside I managed to bodge the broken box back together and get it working for now. I also had a response from Kumar Bros, they will ship to the UK but the box is currently out of stock. I think, sadly it’s going to be easier to replace the whole thing than try and solve this puzzle.
Thanks again for everyone’s help and if anyone has an answer please let me know.

Mountainman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501, B7100, B6000, BX24, B1750, B2400
Jul 10, 2022
Attalla Alabama
mossycreekoutdoors.com
Thank you @Russell King . I have a couple bad sector shafts laying around I'll do some measuring on. I do have I believe a good complete steering gearbox assembly from a b6200e which would fit your b7200 assuming it's gear drive. It'll be this evening or tomorrow but I'll get back with you. As far as Kumar brothers, my experience from other customers is 80+ % of the steering setups they sell either don't fit correctly or fail within a few weeks. I've only had a couple people tell me they worked good. Not trying to knock them they do sell other good products. Just my experience through other customers.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas

Oh dang I forgot that this was a resurrected thread and had noticed the difference between current and past posters.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Ok, I’ve attached some pics of the old broken sector and the correct replacement which doesn’t fit, along with a pic of the replacement in the steering box. You can see a gap around it in the housing. It may be possible to get a bearing of the correct size to replace the oil seal and hold the smaller shaft but this then gives me the problem of the new sector being too small for the pitman arm. The serial number is B7200D61121. I hope all this helps and makes sense as it’s driving me insane.
thanks again for everyone’s help with this.

edited to add the teeth on both the old broken sector and the new replacement are exactly the dimensions.
This is Kubotasam. The picture I posted was from one of my B7100s

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
This is Kubotasam. The picture I posted was from one of my B7100s
I do not remember what exact tractor the picture was from. I have had 3 different B7100 tractors.
Sorry can't be more help.
Now that I have had time to think, one was probably sold in Canada. It had the decals in French and English. I bet it was from that tractor.

MrRedfive

Equipment
Kubota B7200d
May 16, 2024
England
I do not remember what exact tractor the picture was from. I have had 3 different B7100 tractors.
Sorry can't be more help.
Now that I have had time to think, one was probably sold in Canada. It had the decals in French and English. I bet it was from that tractor.
When I first replied I didn’t expect to get any sort of response to a 10 year old thread! Thanks to everyone who’s chimed in.
unfortunately I think the plot thickens, I’m not sure we’ll ever find an answer to the mystery sector! But thanks Kubotasam for replying, really wasn’t expecting you to still be here.
As I mentioned before I think the easiest thing will be to replace the whole box, but as I’ve bodged back together and got it working for now I can hopefully put off the expense for a while.
thanks again everyone, I’m sure I’ll be back with another problem soon.