B7100 Grinds when pressing in clutch

jacobsmith36

Equipment
Kubota B7100 HST-E
Jan 23, 2023
Mississippi
I have the Kubota B7100 HST-E and the previous owner ran a wire from the key to the I assume the starter, deleting the neutral safety switch. Now it grinds when I push in the clutch and try to change pto speed. I'm just checking to see if no safety switch causes the grinding or if something else could be causing it.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Switch not the problem - an adjustment of the clutch linkage would be my first thing to observe.

How much "play" is there in the movement of the pedal? If some - take it up and see if that helps the grinding.

Reactions: 1 users

Kenonf

Equipment
B7100 hst, l4200dt,b2920
Oct 22, 2019
Florida
Does it grind when you shift from rabbit gear to turtle gear?

Reactions: 1 user

jacobsmith36

Equipment
Kubota B7100 HST-E
Jan 23, 2023
Mississippi
I adjusted the bolt by the clutch pedal and the clutch no longer grinds. Do I keep adjusting that bolt to stop the pto from grinding or is there another bolt for that? Also thank you!

Kenonf

Equipment
B7100 hst, l4200dt,b2920
Oct 22, 2019
Florida
Should have added does the range lever grind if you have the hst pedal depressed and try to move the range lever from neutral to a gear.
It sounds like your clutch is not disengaging.
Reading your first post again the safety switch does not have anything to do with the clutch, you need to adjust the clutch clearances.
To borrow a quote from this website I had directed to me a few years ago, download the workshop manual, you can find many links to it here in the forums.
It will go over the clutch adjustment. Too much and you grind gears, too little and you wear out the clutch.

From your picture, your safety switch is missing. the bolt acts as a stop. the flat bar above the bolt trips the safety switch. Retracting that bolt will will allow the clutch to move further in the disengage direction.

It sounds like that is what is required.

The wire from the key switch to the starter, that is a new one….but since you do not have the safety switch I thought you could just join the two wires from the switch to over ride the switch...

ken

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
That picture is not the clutch linkage. The clut pedal has a rod attached that has something like a turnbuckle that makes the rod longer or shorter. Usually making it shorter will cause the clutch pedal to move the clutch plate farther which is what you want to avoid the grinding noise.

How far down does your clutch pedal move before you start to feel ext force to push against?

jacobsmith36

Equipment
Kubota B7100 HST-E
Jan 23, 2023
Mississippi
Should have added does the range lever grind if you have the hst pedal depressed and try to move the range lever from neutral to a gear.
It sounds like your clutch is not disengaging.
Reading your first post again the safety switch does not have anything to do with the clutch, you need to adjust the clutch clearances.
To borrow a quote from this website I had directed to me a few years ago, download the workshop manual, you can find many links to it here in the forums.
It will go over the clutch adjustment. Too much and you grind gears, too little and you wear out the clutch.

From your picture, your safety switch is missing. the bolt acts as a stop. the flat bar above the bolt trips the safety switch. Retracting that bolt will will allow the clutch to move further in the disengage direction.

It sounds like that is what is required.

The wire from the key switch to the starter, that is a new one….but since you do not have the safety switch I thought you could just join the two wires from the switch to over ride the switch...

ken
I'm not sure , I'll have to check to see if it grinds. It mainly grinds when I'm trying to engage my belly mower. I adjusted the bolt on the clutch pedal and got it to right before it tries to grind. Changing pto lever still grinds but I haven't adjusted the clutch linkage yet.
I downloaded the manuals as well. I had tried to rewire the safety switch but i don't think it works, I had removed it before the picture was taken. I'll just leave as is for now.

jacobsmith36

Equipment
Kubota B7100 HST-E
Jan 23, 2023
Mississippi
That picture is not the clutch linkage. The clut pedal has a rod attached that has something like a turnbuckle that makes the rod longer or shorter. Usually making it shorter will cause the clutch pedal to move the clutch plate farther which is what you want to avoid the grinding noise.

How far down does your clutch pedal move before you start to feel ext force to push against?
It had way too much travel in the pedal I've adjusted the bolt to what the manual said to and I still need to adjust the linkage.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You need to adjust this linkage not only the stop bolt.

And plan on doing a cutch replacement in the near future.

1682141532973.png