B7100 Front Axle Lube (with a couple xtras)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
These questions have come up before in PMs, so I'm posting for the general public.

The center section (differential) has a fill plug (#2) and a drain plug (#3). Fill to the bottom of the fill plug hole. Manual says 90w, I use 85-140w.

Outboard gear cases have a fill plug (#4) and a drain plug (#6). Fill to the bottom of the fill plug hole. Manual says 90w, I use 85-140w.

There is also a grease zerk on the top of the king pins, I give it two or three shots a couple times a year.

There is a small sheet metal case over the front u-joint where it attaches to the differential pinion shaft.
I'm told that very early models used an open, non-greaseable u-joint, requiring an oil bath for lubrication.
This was discontinued early on, negating the need for an oil bath. It also has a fill & drain plug. (could not find a drawing) When I rebuilt my front axle, I lapped the housing flat, and put in a new gasket where it mates with the diff. I then filled it to the bottom of the fill hole with 85-140w. Figured it can't hurt.

On the timing marks, there is a rubber plug access window on the right side of the bell housing, down near the bottom of the fuel filter bowl.

There is also a window on the other side of the bell housing to access the zerk on the throwout bearing slider. A shot of grease once a year has been sufficient for me.

pumpkin drfil.jpg
gcdrfi.jpg

Reactions: 1 users