B2650 won't start immediately after running it??

LONGBOW42

Equipment
B2650, loader, mowing, seeding, rake, post hole digger, rear blade
May 19, 2020
Chadds Ford, Pa
Hello,
I have a newer B2650 with 100 hours. This has Happened twice in the last week. It starts up fine, then after I ran it, I got off for a second, then went to start it up and nothing, only clicking from the seat switch. Waited about 20. minutes after trying to start, then eventually it started up. Sat for a week in the garage, then went to box grass and it started right up, moved forward a bit, but had to briefly get off to do something, went right back and it won't start again. It's not the battery as it is fully charged. I also checked all the levers and everything is fine, which should be as nothing was touched. All electronics are active and working fine. Any thoughts?? Thank you!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Please post a photo of the top of your battery.
Your symptoms sound like battery terminals with a poor contact.
100 hours but what year is your tractor?
Dave

LONGBOW42

Equipment
May 19, 2020
Chadds Ford, Pa
Please post a photo of the top of your battery.
Your symptoms sound like battery terminals with a poor contact.
100 hours but what year is your tractor?
Dave
Tractor is 2018 model. Terminal connections are tight and no corrosion. It's been garage kept. Thank you.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Tractor is 2018 model. Terminal connections are tight and no corrosion. It's been garage kept. Thank you.
4 years old.
Do you have a meter to measure voltage?
Please advise how you know the battery is fully charged. A fully charged battery may still be unable to deliver required amps several times in a row.
Could you try with booster battery connected.
The cause will turn out to be something simple most likely involving a weak battery or poor connection.
Dave

Reactions: 1 users

LONGBOW42

Equipment
May 19, 2020
Chadds Ford, Pa
4 years old.
Do you have a meter to measure voltage?
Please advise how you know the battery is fully charged. A fully charged battery may still be unable to deliver required amps several times in a row.
Could you try with booster battery connected.
The cause will turn out to be something simple most likely involving a weak battery or poor connection.
Dave
I don't have a voltage meter, but lights are bright and I took out battery and attached to a charger which said fully charged, so believe the battery is good. Also, it started right up initially. Thank you.

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
You can remove the battery, take it to most any auto parts store, and they will load test it for free. It may be fully charged, but the Amp-Hours might not be up to par.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Seat switches don't click to my knowledge.

A starter solenoid can click when it doesn't get enough amperage. It will just repeatedly cycle. Can be caused by poor connections or bad battery.

A battery can be fully "charged," but not have the ability to provide enough cranking amps to crank the tractor.

The last start might have been all it could do.

I would probably check connections and take battery to an auto supply and see if they can load test it.

Your lights are bright. If that works for you, that's cool.

Last edited:

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Buy a meter. $20 gets you a ton of useful information. Don't listen to the gold-platers who think you can't do anything without a $100+ meter. Hogwash. For automotive use, a cheapo is just fine.

But IF I understand correctly, the tractor starts correctly (no struggling) when cold, but as soon as it's been run a bit, it won't even try?

That's not sounding like a battery problem to me.

LONGBOW42

Equipment
May 19, 2020
Chadds Ford, Pa
Buy a meter. $20 gets you a ton of useful information. Don't listen to the gold-platers who think you can't do anything without a $100+ meter. Hogwash. For automotive use, a cheapo is just fine.

But IF I understand correctly, the tractor starts correctly (no struggling) when cold, but as soon as it's been run a bit, it won't even try?

That's not sounding like a battery problem to me.
I think its a switch somewhere. It did the same thing when I accidentally moved the PTO lever slightly.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
A battery can be fully "charged," but not have the ability to provide enough cranking amps to crank the tractor.
Quote from RCW ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Excellent advice

think of it this way ............ you COULD read 12 volts down a hair size wire ............. but once the amps are required - you get nuttin.

I would take the posts off - have the battery "checked" as mentioned and then go the route needed. New battery or clean the connections well.

I got ready to fire up my boat about 7 weeks ago - 18 month old battery was on excellent tender - showed all green lights, and this is a big ass battery - deep cycle and all that fun stuff, hit the switch ...... clicky clicky....... I cussed....
got another "good" battery and jumped it ..... a louder click but no start. I found a "gooder" battery jumped and it started fine......... moral of the story - what looks good aint good enough!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
I think its a switch somewhere. It did the same thing when I accidentally moved the PTO lever slightly.
If you dont think its your battery or connections then learn how to jump the starter.
That will immediately tell the story.
Search on the forum for HOW as it can be dangerous
Dave

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
You think it’s a switch somewhere, but don’t know.

You also don’t know if your battery is good, as you don’t take advice.

This is my parting advice and then I’m done:

Make sure your PTO on/off selector is securely in the Off position.

Then, make sure the mid- and rear PTO lever is secured in mid, rear, or both position.

Then, make sure your H-M-L range selector is firmly in one of the options, or Neutral.

Then, with the key in the “crank” position, gently roll the treadle pedal a little forward/back, just in case the pedal is not centered.

Last edited:

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
B2650, BH77, SG0660 grapple, pallet forks, Bobcat 60" box blade
Oct 5, 2021
Then, the key in the “crank” position, gently roll the treadle pedal a little forward/back, just in case the pedal is not centered.
Recently had a thread where my B2650 wouldn't start at all, ended up being the treadle pedal safety switch. Another easy way to check is, with the key to On, if you move the treadle peddle even slightly, you should hear the relay click (which is removing the ability to start when the pedal is depressed). If there's no click when moving the pedal slightly forward or backwards, then there's a switch problem.

Leading up to that problem (where it would not start at all), I do remember that there was at least one time prior to that when I turned the key and nothing happened. I fully removed the key, inserted it again, and tried, and it started. I just ASSUME it was related to the safety switch (which eventually moved so far that it would never start) as I've not had any problems since fixing it.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Sounds like a safety switch is mucking up the starting. Go through all the starting tractor and trouble shooting steps instructions again. Should lead you to an idea at least what's not connecting.

Reactions: 2 users

LONGBOW42

Equipment
May 19, 2020
Chadds Ford, Pa
If you dont think its your battery or connections then learn how to jump the starter.
That will immediately tell the story.
Search on the forum for HOW as it can be dangerous
Dave
It ended up being the safety switch connected to pedal. That’s an easy fix. Thank you to all.

LONGBOW42

Equipment
May 19, 2020
Chadds Ford, Pa
Recently had a thread where my B2650 wouldn't start at all, ended up being the treadle pedal safety switch. Another easy way to check is, with the key to On, if you move the treadle peddle even slightly, you should hear the relay click (which is removing the ability to start when the pedal is depressed). If there's no click when moving the pedal slightly forward or backwards, then there's a switch problem.

Leading up to that problem (where it would not start at all), I do remember that there was at least one time prior to that when I turned the key and nothing happened. I fully removed the key, inserted it again, and tried, and it started. I just ASSUME it was related to the safety switch (which eventually moved so far that it would never start) as I've not had any problems since fixing it.
You were right! Thank you.

sardillim

Equipment
b2650
Nov 24, 2019
Easton
Sounds like the HST pedal is not returning to center the next time it happens try wiggling the pedal while holding the key in the start position