B2400HSD clutch failure

Dunslandloy

Equipment
B2400HSD
Aug 4, 2017
SE OH
Hello all. My B2400HSD recently had a complete clutch failure.

I was mowing the yard and went into a turn and everything but the engine stopped. No PTO, forward or reverse, and there was a grinding noise that would only stop if I pushed the clutch in.

I took it to my local dealer. They told me when I took it in that it was likely the clutch. I got a call from them yesterday and was told they were at $680.00 just in parts but hadn't split the tractor yet.

This tractor has never been abused, only has a little over 1100hrs and used mostly for mowing the yard and tilling the garden. I've always used Kubota fluids, filters, and replacement parts.

Seeing as I use the clutch so little, starting and pto, what would cause such a catastrophic failure.

Thanks.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

I was mowing the yard and went into a turn and everything but the engine stopped. No PTO, forward or reverse, and there was a grinding noise that would only stop if I pushed the clutch in.

I took it to my local dealer. They told me when I took it in that it was likely the clutch. I got a call from them yesterday and was told they were at $680.00 just in parts but hadn't split the tractor yet.

This tractor has never been abused, only has a little over 1100hrs and used mostly for mowing the yard and tilling the garden. I've always used Kubota fluids, filters, and replacement parts.

Seeing as I use the clutch so little, starting and pto, what would cause such a catastrophic failure.

Thanks.
No real way to explain that failure.
You should get a labor estimate also.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Thanks.
What parts have they done if they haven't even split it?
That's real confusing?

I bet in those 1100 hours you never adjusted the clutch either?
Clutch disks fail for a multitude of reasons, exact reasons are usually unknown.

Dunslandloy

Equipment
B2400HSD
Aug 4, 2017
SE OH
No real way to explain that failure.
You should get a labor estimate also.
He ballparked me at $2000 when I first dropped it off, unless he runs into other issues. Now he's saying beyond that number based on parts he'll have to replace.

Dunslandloy

Equipment
B2400HSD
Aug 4, 2017
SE OH
What parts have they done if they haven't even split it?
That's real confusing?

I bet in those 1100 hours you never adjusted the clutch either?
Clutch disks fail for a multitude of reasons, exact reasons are usually unknown.
The only clutch adjustment in my manual service intervals is clutch pedal free travel, and that is checked yearly when I do the fluids / filters.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I got a call from them yesterday and was told they were at $680.00 just in parts but hadn't split the tractor yet.
I don't understand if they haven't even split it to do the clutch disk how could you already be into it for $680 in parts????

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I don't understand if they haven't even split it to do the clutch disk how could you already be into it for $680 in parts????
May that is the quote for clutch plate and a few other clutch related parts?

Looking at Messicks prices that could be the clutch plate and pressure plate

IMG_0095.png

Reactions: 1 user

Dunslandloy

Equipment
B2400HSD
Aug 4, 2017
SE OH
My assumption is as Russell said in post below Clutch, pressure plate, bearings and possibly rear seal.
Oil seal makes sense as I forgot that when we were pulling the mower deck to get ready to put on the trailer, my FIL noticed oil dripping out of clutch housing vent tube onto mower deck. Thanks for the help.