B2150 no start problem?

Gern Blanston

Equipment
Kubota B2150 - 1995 era
Apr 9, 2024
California
Good morning, Forum,

Took a couple of photos of the tops of pistons this weekend...there are clearly holes in the pistons, that I can poke a long pin tool through.

Two of these pistons have nearly identical holes in exactly the same position on the piston. One shot is focused enough to make it look like the hole is manufactured...(Piston 2)

I have never seen anything like this...I am curious to know how identical holes in identical positions suddenly appear after the tractor sat for a winter. Backstory: tractor ran fine, was parked for a winter will not start. All four cylinders make less than 200psi.

I am completely baffled.

Piston 1
Piston 2

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Have you ever used starting fluid ,gasoline or anything else to help it start? Has anyone else had access to tractor since your dad passed that might have used starting fluid? Is it possible gasoline or some kind of additive was added to fuel tank? One piston appears to have a piece missing leaving a hole but one looks like a burned spot that doesn't go all the way through. Are both indeed holes? It would seem that what happened was since it ran 2 weeks ago but although unlikly it's remotly possible pistons were somehow weakened/damaged earlier then imploded while running 2 weeks ago. You are correct,very starnge.

Gern Blanston

Equipment
Kubota B2150 - 1995 era
Apr 9, 2024
California
Hello Jaxs...

Yes we did try some starting fluid, per local Kubota shops recommendation. Amount was very minimal, and there was no noticable 'explosion', it actually made the engine seem more resistant to 'trying' to start. The engine cranking sound and behavior remained unchanged before and after the starting fluid exercise.

No gasoline or additives were added to fuel. Some fuel was drawn to check for water, no water.
New fuel in the tank.

This pic shows the pick tool I was able to send through the hole in one of the pistons. There was no resistance at all poking it down in there...

pick through piston

Regarding the 'ran a week ago', I was misunderstood the 'last time it ran' information. My brother primarily uses this tractor, and the real timeline is that it ran fine, then sat covered for a few months (through winter) and then would not start. The last time it actually ran was in October 2023. Tried to start it early Jan 2024, and have been trying to troubleshoot and start since then.

The property is under camera surveillance, and is a few miles out of town, and at the end of the road. It's highly unlikely that someone messed with it.

I suppose the starting fluid theory could explain the similarity of the damage between the two pistons, if that is a thin spot in the part design, then it would probably fail in the same fashion...

Gern Blanston

Equipment
Kubota B2150 - 1995 era
Apr 9, 2024
California
some pics inside the intake manifold

First two pistons have dry and rusty intake valves...#3 and #4 look wet with fuel.
Injector #1 looks plugged to me, which would explain the 'dry' #1 intake valve. #2 injector was not as built up with carbon, but still had a coating of carbon.

Now I'm thinking 2 plugged injectors, corrosion on the valves preventing proper valve seating, and starting fluid (for diesel engine) causing holes in pistons?

Intake Valve #1
Intake Valve #2
Intake Valve #3
Intake Valve #4
Injector #1

Last edited: