Awesome dogs / Crazy pets Thread

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Got word a week ago that my little buddy has a malignant tumor on his lip/jaw. I can't put him (and myself) thru any staging/surgery. He's never more than 50 feet from me at all times. He's actually laying at my feet as I try to type this message. I'm going to miss him deeply.

We decided to take him back to our previous house for what may be his last swim. He spent the first 4 years at this home and it's wonderful swimming opportunities. Took a picture with him at our old house on the same porch as his first day with us 11 years ago.

1st day with us:

View attachment 111085
View attachment 111086

View attachment 111087

View attachment 111088

two days ago...same porch, 11 years later:

View attachment 111089

the rock then, and now:

View attachment 111090
View attachment 111091

swim:

View attachment 111092

looking at the swimming hole:

View attachment 111093
So sorry to hear.

Take solace in the fact you obviously gave him a great life…he helped improve the quality of your own life as well…

That’s why it’s so hard to lose them….

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
This thread has brought me much happiness and much pain,,, sure wish I could understand why I keep coming back. Oh I know, wanting to see all your kids and not to forget all the buddies I've lost.

Reactions: 1 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I can share your pain. So sorry !
Sorry for your loss Mike. I too have urns and many clay paw prints...perhaps too many.

They sure are wonderful creatures.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Got word a week ago that my little buddy has a malignant tumor on his lip/jaw. I can't put him (and myself) thru any staging/surgery. He's never more than 50 feet from me at all times. He's actually laying at my feet as I try to type this message. I'm going to miss him deeply.

We decided to take him back to our previous house for what may be his last swim. He spent the first 4 years at this home and it's wonderful swimming opportunities. Took a picture with him at our old house on the same porch as his first day with us 11 years ago.

1st day with us:

View attachment 111085
View attachment 111086

View attachment 111087

View attachment 111088

two days ago...same porch, 11 years later:

View attachment 111089

the rock then, and now:

View attachment 111090
View attachment 111091

swim:

View attachment 111092

looking at the swimming hole:

View attachment 111093
It's always hard man. Ya just got to look at the love and happiness in their eyes through all the years. We give em the best we can.
While it may sound heartless, my pops gave me sage advice. He said, when we get this new pup, it's going to be great. Lots of work, lots of play, lots of fun. You just have to know that they will pass through all stages of life before you do. You have to look at that puppy and know that one day they will be older than grandpa in dog years. Can you handle that?
Never looked at a pup the same way since. But it never stopped me from giving them a top shelf life.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Sorry to hear that.
I always feel they give me more than I give them.
I wish they could stay longer.

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Losing a family member is never easy. My first Weimaraner had a brain tumor, and when the time came to put her at rest, I was in the hospital with a bad infection that was being treated intravenously. I left a note on the bed that I had to leave for a few hours, and I knew that it would be easier to ask for forgiveness than it would be to for permission. Because I had to be back in time for my next dose of medication, I wasn't able to be with her for her final moments, but I had all the arrangements made for her burial. I was able to take her to her final resting place and get back to the hospital in time. The friend who drove me commented later on that I was so distraught that he thought that I might have a heart attack.
I know firsthand that making this type of decision isn't made lightly and that in the end, we are doing it for our loved ones so they don't have to suffer. You can rest easy knowing that you have made the correct decision at the correct time for both you and your pet.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Dirtydeed, my thoughts are our pets are God's gift to us, how we treat them is our gift to God. When you do all you can for them in every situation we've accomplished all we can. It all reminds us, life is fragile.

Reactions: 2 users

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Could use some help guys. Our rescue dog just plain won't eat dry dog food even if we mix it with wet can food. We've tried everything even pouring gravy over it and all different kinds of broth but no matter what we try he just won't eat it unless it comes in a can. Anyone make their own dog food or find a healthy alternative that works? Thanks in advance.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Could use some help guys. Our rescue dog just plain won't eat dry dog food even if we mix it with wet can food. We've tried everything even pouring gravy over it and all different kinds of broth but no matter what we try he just won't eat it unless it comes in a can. Anyone make their own dog food or find a healthy alternative that works? Thanks in advance.
One of our dogs is a very picky eater. We don't help by giving her table scraps. We have found that when she is hungry she will eat the dry dog food. ie last night she left the bedroom at abt 2am, this morning her food was gone.
She really likes certain people food (like fish) so this am when I fed her I mixed in very small pieces of leftover swordfish we had last night. Even tho she ate during the night she finishd it all.

Last edited:

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Did you have the dog's teeth checked? Most likely the dog is just being picky, yet our friends had their dog who wouldn't eat hard food. Come to find out the dog had a gum infection and once that was corrected, the dog eats everything now.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
One of our dogs is a very picky eater. We don't help by giving her table scraps. We have found that when she is hungry she will eat the dry dog food. ie last night she left the bedroom at abt 2am, this morning her food was gone.
She really likes certain people food (like fish) so this am when I fed her I mixed in very small pieces of leftover swordfish we had last night. Even tho she ate during the night she finishd it all.
I know you're right and I tried but after losing my 3 beagles (over time) and getting old I broke down and bought the can food for him today however I did refuse to share my deer burger with him today. We'll keep mixing a little dry food in with it but that boy is darn near as stubborn as me. I really appreciate the help.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Did you have the dog's teeth checked? Most likely the dog is just being picky, yet our friends had their dog who wouldn't eat hard food. Come to find out the dog had a gum infection and once that was corrected, the dog eats everything now.
Good thought but no his teeth and gums are fine and they should be him being less than 2 years old. Really appreciate you trying to help though.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
We had a rescue Basset that tried the war of the wills over kibble. Left his bowl of dry food out and no canned food, no snacks, and no table scraps. It took him two days to admit defeat. My wife accused me of being cruel.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
We had a rescue Basset that tried the war of the wills over kibble. Left his bowl of dry food out and no canned food, no snacks, and no table scraps. It took him two days to admit defeat. My wife accused me of being cruel.
Lol, and when they get in that state they can be cruel as well, just sayin'

• Haha