aftermarket hydraulic cylinders

sauto1985

Nov 19, 2011
hell,michigan usa
i have a 1990 b20 and the fel bucket cylinder blew the main seal so i removed the cylinder and took it to the local kubota dealer near me --- the seal kit was 20. to rebuild is 150. but the service guy said sometimes they dont come apart and get destroyed trying to do so because the way aluminum and steel together dont like to separate----well a new cylinder is 900. if they cant fix mine----has anyone had any luck with aftermarket cylinders and where to get and what kind ---thanks for any input

drewscruis

Equipment
B7100D with FEL and tiller
Sep 9, 2011
Eden, NY. usa
well in my instance I was looking for an aftermarket solution to my leaking cylinders, were half what a genuine kubota cylinder was, but I ended up buying 4 rebuild kits online for like $25 (for all 4) took me about 15min a cylinder to do myself. mine were a little easier because there is just a snap ring holding the whole thing together, and I had a 30mm socket and an impact to get the nut off the piston but it can all be done with hand tools.

Breeze

Equipment
L3700, Box Grader, 60" Bush Hog, Rear Grader Blade, York Rake, Boom Pole.
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
I'd buy the parts and locate a competent machine shop in your area that does repair work on buckets, bosses, pins, cylinders and such, and have them do the rebuild.

With all due respect to tractor dealers, they don't have 10% of the experience that a hydraulics/machine shop/rebuilder has with cylinders.

If it can't be disassembled by professionals without fatal damage, search the web for providers of rebuilt/remanufactured cylinders.

Just my 2 cents....

sauto1985

Nov 19, 2011
hell,michigan usa
the kubota dealership was my second choice ----the first cylinder {fel side cyl} went bad last year and i bought a rebuild kit and took it to a compentant hydraulic shop and they butchered it coming apart ----- the aluminum part inside was destoyed at $320.---20.for the rebuild kit and 130. to rebuild--a new side cylinder was only 500. so replace was a wiser choice but now bucket cylinder at 900. if the dealer cant rebuild ?

Breeze

Equipment
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
Ouch!

Well, at any rate, I'm sure you can purchase an aftermarket cylinder cheaper than the OEM dealer unit. Google is full of them.

It is hard for me to grasp that a good cylinder shop can't disassemble but I certainly take your word for it. What part is aluminum? There's a Head, that screws into the cylinder end, with slots for a spanner wrench, some bushings associated with the seal kit both at the head and the piston end, and the piston. I guess you're saying that the head is aluminum and the threads are galled to the steel cylinder? Once the head is unscrewed, the rod, piston and all should basically glide out.

At least on construction equipment, providing a cylinder that can't be disassembled would result in an army of steel toed devils converging on the company with crow bars. Cylinder service is like brushing one's teeth, standard stuff done every day.

sauto1985

Nov 19, 2011
hell,michigan usa
yes the head part is the head is what the dealer called it that part----but it turned out good for me this time as my local dealer called me this morning and teardown and rebuild was a sucess! i just put it back on no leaks full operation----thanks for all input!!!

Breeze

Equipment
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
my local dealer called me this morning and teardown and rebuild was a sucess! i just put it back on no leaks full operation----thanks for all input!!!
That's great! I might be tempted to swipe the threads with anti-seize if these aluminum threads are galling on the cylinder bore threads. It's not corrosion but the thread jacking force wipes aluminum onto the steel and it is almost like a welded joint.

I suppose I have these on my tractor as well but I never ran into this before. The only reason I could imagine for doing that is being cheaper to machine the heads in aluminum than steel?