Adding spacer to front wheels -L3200DT

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I just bought a L3200DT, to replace an old L185DT. On the 185, I tried reversing the rims on the front end a couple of times. It made the tractor MUCH more stable on hills, but would nearly break your wrists trying to steer it.
The 3200 has POWER STEERING! WOW! Am I going to tear it up if I widen the front end? I can build 1-1/4" spacers with material on hand, or buy 2-1/2" spacers on EBAY.
As you all know, every little bit helps on the side of a hill.
Also, what is the voice of experience on removing the FEL to mow the field? Now that it is easy to do with quick detach, will it buy very much stability?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I completely understand you wanting to widen the frontend but here's a word of warning. By doing that it will put way more stress on the front axle and it could break but it will for sure leak. It may not do this for a little while but it will leak sooner or later. It will cost over $1000 just to have the seals replaced.

As far as the loader goes, I used to remove mine when I mowed but now after installing a QA I just drop the bucket off and leave the loader. Just loosing the bucket makes a huge difference. If you don't have a QA for the bucket then I would for sure say you will enjoy not having the loader when you mow.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I completely understand you wanting to widen the frontend but here's a word of warning. By doing that it will put way more stress on the front axle and it could break but it will for sure leak. It may not do this for a little while but it will leak sooner or later. It will cost over $1000 just to have the seals replaced.

As far as the loader goes, I used to remove mine when I mowed but now after installing a QA I just drop the bucket off and leave the loader. Just loosing the bucket makes a huge difference. If you don't have a QA for the bucket then I would for sure say you will enjoy not having the loader when you mow.
I second what Bulldog has said. Widening the front track will greatly magnify the leverage imposed. If you feel you have to do it, I'd run it widened with the loader off, but put it back to stock width when the loader is on.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Thanks for the input. I'll leave the wheels be - they are still 5" wider than the old 185. I'll try detaching the bucket. That should help a lot...