3 Point Dethatcher vs Pine Straw Rake

carr5600

Equipment
2021 LX3310 with Cab and grapple
Oct 12, 2021
Central Florida
Hello,
We bought an LX3310 and I am getting ready to prep my horse paddocks for over-seeding. I am looking for advice on what is best to use for this purpose. Which implement is best dethatcher or pine straw rake? I am located in central Florida so I’m not worried about winter.

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
As far as i know (not much in this case) the pine straw rake has a lot stiffer 'tines' vs a dethatcher, so if you're trying to disturb the ground the pine straw rake is likely to do a better job.

Also, maybe not everyone's favorite approach but if all you're using the thing for is to scrape up the ground, you can always shorten the tines to make them act 'stiffer'. Just don't overheat them in the process of the shortening as that can ruin their 'springiness'.

I don't care either way but plenty of people would probably say neither one is the 'right tool for the job'. There may be a better idea to use something else that you could also get some other use out of. I've never planted a damn thing so i'm not the guy to speak on what's right for it.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Are you trying to save the grass you have and add to it? Or rip out what you got and start over?

I have one of these to make a nice seed bed: Yard tool is the first photo or (I'm guessing) Ratchet Rake? for the other 2 photos

Attachments

Last edited:

carr5600

Equipment
2021 LX3310 with Cab and grapple
Oct 12, 2021
Central Florida
Are you trying to save the grass you have and add to it? Or rip out what you got and start over?

I have one of these to make a nice seed bed: Yard tool is the first photo or (I'm guessing) Ratchet Rake? for the other 2 photos
Yea I am trying to save the grass and overseed. These are paddocks for my horses so no I do not want to rip out. Just the paddocks have a lot of thatch and some bare spots with I will aerate after dethatching.