2016 SVL90-2 Losing power

Chieftan

Equipment
SVL90-2
Mar 22, 2024
Missouri
Hi y'all - new to the forum - I've already found some great info here . but still stumped by a problem I'm having.

My SVL90-2 starts and throttles up good and operates as expected but loses engine revs and power after about 10 minutes of operation under load. Engine does not recover revs and throttle down/up has no affect. After it has bogged down it only limps along and will eventually stall.

Once it cools down , the unit will start again, (does not start right away , it needs to crank for 10 seconds before starting, some times once or twice) and the same symptoms repeat. Any ideas would be appreciated?

Air and Fuel filters are clean, water separator is bypassed, fuel is good.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Remove the hose from the spin-on filter outlet and install a couple of foot-long hose to the outlet nipple so it will reach out of the rear of the engine compartment. Put the end of the hose over a bucket, turn the key switch to the ON position, and observe the fuel flow for a couple of minutes. It should pump at least one quart of fuel a minute.
With the separator bypassed, you probably have debris in the lift pump, or the outlet of the fuel tank is restricted. You can remove the fuel fill cap and blow compressed air into the tank through the hose that should feed the separator. Just give it a quick blast or two and recheck the flow into the bucket.

Chieftan

Equipment
SVL90-2
Mar 22, 2024
Missouri
Thanks whiteriger! I found an inline fuel filter installed that I did not see earlier , it was tucked away. Looks like the previous owner bypassed the water separator and installed this inline filter for some reason. It looks like a regular plastic fuel filter and the filter material is black - not good . I'm guessing debris, as you suggested, probably mucked up the separator and that's why its bypassed. Possibly debris elsewhere too. Short story - replaced the inline filter and that fixed the problem - for now.

By the way - I did the flow/bucket test recommended. Low flow before inline filter was replaced, and good flow after. You could really see the difference.

I'm going to pull the separator unit and attempt to clean it and put it back in line , and monitor the separator and new inline filter closely for accumulation. Hope I don't have debris in the tank.....that would suck.

Thanks again Mod!