2014 RTV1140CPX power steering problem

OkieDutchman

Equipment
RTV1140CPX,L4701 tractor
Dec 3, 2017
Summerfield,Oklahoma
As a new member let me first say "hi" to all.....My question concerns the power steering valve on my 2014 RTV1140CPX. I've never dealt with this type power steering so have no knowledge of it nor can I find any on the internet or my owner's manual which means it may be rare. From what little is listed in the owner's manual I'll assume there isn't a reservoir for the power steering unit but instead fluid is fed to the valve then on to the steering box from some other hydraulic source. I'm assuming this valve body is my problem since a loud growing noise is coming from it's locale and my steering has gotten rather stiff to turn. I've found some of the valve units on the internet priced well below what Kubota want's and am hoping some members may have experience in diagnosing and replacing these valve units if that's what is at fault.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The hydraulic oil for steering comes from the tank, to the steering pump mounted on the right side of your engine, then to the steering valve.

Usually the noise and stiff steering on an RTV is from a bushing in the column right below your steering wheel. Originally they used a rubber bushing and have up graded it to plastic. Put a few drops of oil on the shaft below the wheel and see if that changes the noise and feel.

OkieDutchman

Equipment
RTV1140CPX,L4701 tractor
Dec 3, 2017
Summerfield,Oklahoma
Thanks for your reply Whitetiger. The problem must be the pump from your description as to it's location. That is exactly where the very loud growling is coming from and from what little information I could get from my owner's manual and internet checking I thought the steering valve was located there to control fluid flow to the steering gear box via the hydraulic lines. All power steering I've ever dealt with has had a pump with it's own independent fluid reservoir and driven by a belt. So this type of hydraulic fluid pump being fed from a universal tank is new to me. The RTV has low hours so do you know of any reason the steering pump would be failing such as a cause for fluid to not be reaching the pump from the reservoir tank ? I can't find any other RTV1140CPX owners who've had their power steering go bad which makes it difficult to locate the problem and I hate purchasing a new pump then have it go bad if there's a reason fluid is not flowing to it from the reservoir tank.

OkieDutchman

Equipment
RTV1140CPX,L4701 tractor
Dec 3, 2017
Summerfield,Oklahoma
Thanks for your reply Whitetiger. The problem must be the pump from your description as to it's location. That is exactly where the very loud growling is coming from and from what little information I could get from my owner's manual and internet checking I thought the steering valve was located there to control fluid flow to the steering gear box via the hydraulic lines. All power steering I've ever dealt with has had a pump with it's own independent fluid reservoir and driven by a belt. So this type of hydraulic fluid pump being fed from a universal tank is new to me. The RTV has low hours so do you know of any reason the steering pump would be failing such as a cause for fluid to not be reaching the pump from the reservoir tank ? I can't find any other RTV1140CPX owners who've had their power steering go bad which makes it difficult to locate the problem and I hate purchasing a new pump then have it go bad if there's a reason fluid is not flowing to it from the reservoir tank.

OkieDutchman

Equipment
RTV1140CPX,L4701 tractor
Dec 3, 2017
Summerfield,Oklahoma
With some of the very knowledgeable videos posted on the internet referring to this site I certainly thought I'd get several replies concerning my described power steering problem by becoming a member and requesting advice from those who've either had this issue or are mechanically knowledgeable on Kubota RTV1140CPX vehicles . Maybe I posted it on the wrong board to get attention but it seems to me it would be a service,repair & maintenance issue. I hate taking it to my local Kubota dealer because their parts and labor cost will probably make me shy of ever buying another Kubota as I've also has some minor issues with my Kubota tractor.

jordan2140

Oct 1, 2017
US
I own the same model in a 2009. That's a heavy machine to be without power steering. Good luck! I have been fortunate no issues with my steering.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Is the noise coming from under the steering wheel where your control valve is located or is it coming from the right side of your engine???
Have you tightened the hose clamps on the suction hose between oil tank and pumps??
Did you check the oil level in the tank??
Does the machine make the noise when raising the dump bed??

I service a lot of 1100 and 1140 RTVs, many with several thousand hours use and have never had a hydraulic steering complaint.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Is the noise coming from under the steering wheel where your control valve is located or is it coming from the right side of your engine???
Have you tightened the hose clamps on the suction hose between oil tank and pumps??
Did you check the oil level in the tank??
Does the machine make the noise when raising the dump bed??

I service a lot of 1100 and 1140 RTVs, many with several thousand hours use and have never had a hydraulic steering complaint.

Same experience I've had. If the tank is low on fluid, or filter plugged/restricted/dirty, they'll make noise, be jerky, etc...but usually accompanied by bed lift issues.

Also....check the cargo bed lift lever to make sure it's not stuck in the power down position. That'll affect power steering by the system's design.

The power steering doesn't have a steering box. It's hydraulic. There's a cute little hydraulic pump living down on the engine, which runs the bed lift and the power steering. In a nutshell, it feeds the steering controller, which directs pressurized oil in one of 3 directions. If you don't touch the steering wheel, it returns oil back to the tank. If you steer left or right, it directs oil to one side of the hydraulic steering cylinder, which is a double acting cylinder-and no steering box or rack & pinion. It's a pretty simple system and that's a good thing because they rarely have issues.