2014 RTV 1140CPX New Project for Restoration - PART 2

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB, 2014 RTV-1140CPX
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
This is a continuation of this thread:

I knew this thread would get long, so here is more work done on the RTV now in Part 2.

The work has been coming along and I've gotten the absolute worst of it done - the cleanup and prep.

Always tough with neglected machinery due to rust, abuse and general malaise toward maintenance.

The following are some photos with some details as I give this machine a good going over.

FRONT AXLE CASES:

They have been cleaned, blasted and now powdercoated. I found some charcoal grey that is a pretty close color to the Kubota Dark Grey.

Front Cases prepped.JPG
Front Cases prepped 2.JPG
Front Cases Completed.JPG

This next set comprises the Rear Axle, Axle Shafts, Bearings and Seals

The Axle is pretty heavy, but can be easily moved by one person - it's a clumsy weight.

Here it is being scrubbed - all the mud and grit removed for paint prep - bearings and seals removed.

Rear Axle Removed for cleaning and painting.JPG

Seals, Spacers and Bearings - the outside seals are noted. They were in really bad shape and NOT meant to be 3 pieces!

There was one bad bearing (gritty feeling when rotated).

Bearings and Seals.JPG

Axle shafts, Spring hangars, Shock Mounts, Shock and Spring Hanger Brackets.

Note one hub has been blasted in the photo

Parts Laid out from Rear Axle.JPG

Closeup of one of the seals - note the multiple sealing surfaces.

Closeup of seal lips.JPG

This is a view of the Axle Shaft bearings and seals and spacer laid out in order of assembly.
The wheel hub would be on the right.

The Axle Shafts connect to the transmission with another set of Ujoints - the design is that the spline on the bottom LEFT engages with the transmission shaft and is protected by a boot.

Dropping the axle allows the transmission shafts (Left and Right) to separate from the Axle Shafts (Left and Right)

Rear Axle Shaft parts layout.JPG

More Parts on the way....