2005 BX 23D Fuel Sending Unit Leak

TV Kubota BX 23

Equipment
2005 Kubota BX 23 with loader & Backhoe
Nov 21, 2023
Maryland
I have rebuild the entire fuel sending unit with all new parts, gaskets etc. Had to buy each nut, bolt, gasket separately as the kit is no longer available. Problem is I have a constant leak between the sending unit and the tank itself. It appears the entire sending unit carefully fits into the opening but as see nothing that holds the sending unit tight to the tank. I am obviously missing something here. Any suggestions or recommendations would be very helpful and much appreciate. Than you.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have rebuild the entire fuel sending unit with all new parts, gaskets etc. Had to buy each nut, bolt, gasket separately as the kit is no longer available. Problem is I have a constant leak between the sending unit and the tank itself. It appears the entire sending unit carefully fits into the opening but as see nothing that holds the sending unit tight to the tank. I am obviously missing something here. Any suggestions or recommendations would be very helpful and much appreciate. Than you.
Look at this diagram and tell us where or between what components the leak occurs

1717895834352.png

TV Kubota BX 23

Equipment
Nov 21, 2023
Maryland
It is leaking between the rubber gasket #30 and the tank itself. Brand new rubber gasket. Am I correct that this assembly just sits onto the tank with nothing keeping pressure on it to seal? I know it must be turned perfectly to sit down in the opening flush. I am not sure what I am doing wrong here. I purchased every part new in that breakdown. Thanks

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
It is leaking between the rubber gasket #30 and the tank itself. Brand new rubber gasket. Am I correct that this assembly just sits onto the tank with nothing keeping pressure on it to seal? I know it must be turned perfectly to sit down in the opening flush. I am not sure what I am doing wrong here. I purchased every part new in that breakdown. Thanks
Please tell us more on this history of this problem that led you to rebuilding the sending unit.
Sometimes rubber bits benefit from a bit of lube to help them seat properly.
Grease, vaseline it is not important.
Also, with the rubber removed, carefully study the tank opening looking for a nick, cut or crack.
Parts #130 and 120 look like they could go under the lip of the tank. This is just a guess but if they did they would compress all parts together against the tank
Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

TV Kubota BX 23

Equipment
Nov 21, 2023
Maryland
Please tell us more on this history of this problem that led you to rebuilding the sending unit.
Sometimes rubber bits benefit from a bit of lube to help them seat properly.
Grease, vaseline it is not important.
Also, with the rubber removed, carefully study the tank opening looking for a nick, cut or crack.
Parts #130 and 120 look like they could go under the lip of the tank. This is just a guess but if they did they would compress all parts together against the tank
Dave
Dave, I inherited the machine from my father in law whom passed away and noticed the fuel gauge was not registering so I tried to order the complete rebuild kit which is NLA, so I bought every last piece individually from Messicks. It appears the rubber gasket sits down into the tank slight which I have done, but continues to leak. Very frustrating. I want to make sure I am doing everything correctly while installing before considering a new tank at $600. The machine has 1200 hrs on it and was always serviced by a Kubota dealer. I have now taken over services On the machine. I figure out what is suppose to keep the gasket sealed as it just seems to sit on top of the tank with the sending unit on top that, maybe suction keeps it in place? Thanks

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I don’t think it would just sit onto the top of the tank.

I assume that the #30 rubber part has to fit into the tank half way with a lip inside and a lip outside the plastic tank edge. Can you post a picture of what that part looks like?

I think you may need to loosen the nuts on the #120 and #130 parts and remove the #30 part from the assembly.

Then install #30 into the tank around the edge of the hole. BE CAREFUL not to drop it into the tank! I know that is what would happen if I was doing it so maybe fold a long string over it in case it falls? Remove string after it is in place.

Then install the rest of the assembly into that rubber hole and rotate the #120 and #130 parts to clamp the rubber part #30 to the tank. Watch that you are not pushing the rubber #30 part into the tank!

Hope that makes some sense.

If that doesn’t seem right to you then maybe just loosen the nuts #120 and #130 and see if that helps get #30 to push into the tank and snap into place.

You might ask the service department at the dealership how to get it to stop leaking.

TV Kubota BX 23

Equipment
Nov 21, 2023
Maryland
Dave, I inherited the machine from my father in law whom passed away and noticed the fuel gauge was not registering so I tried to order the complete rebuild kit which is NLA, so I bought every last piece individually from Messicks. It appears the rubber gasket sits down into the tank slight which I have done, but continues to leak. Very frustrating. I want to make sure I am doing everything correctly while installing before considering a new tank at $600. The machine has 1200 hrs on it and was always serviced by a Kubota dealer. I have now taken over services On the machine. I figure out what is suppose to keep the gasket sealed as it just seems to sit on top of the tank with the sending unit on top that, maybe suction keeps it in place? Thanks
Dave,

You were right on, the light bulb went off, part #130 the screw has a slot on the top for a screwdriver, you put the sending unit in and turn the screw to lock under the tank lid then snug up the bolts. Problem solved. God is good! Tony

Reactions: 1 user