Kubota RTV 900 front drive shaft replacement

farmer55952

Equipment
Kubota RTV 900
Apr 13, 2018
Lewiston, MN
I just purchased a 2004 kubota RTV 900. The front drive shaft (round shaft approx 2 ft long with U-joints on both ends) is shot. The U-joints are wore out and are sloppy with play.

I went to my local Kubota dealer and purchased a new drive shaft, it cost $105 plus tax. The dealer thought this would be an easy job to replace - me too.

I removed the kotter key and pin that hold the front drive shaft in place. The front drive shaft slides and neither joint is seized to the splined spindles. But, there is not enough play to remove the front drive shaft yet.

So, I unbolted the center hanger bearing and dropped that down, thinking that this would give me enough play to slide one of the drive shaft U-joints off - no such luck.

Please see the attached picture of the drive shafts (front and rear) and center hanger bearing. The front drive shaft is labeled 'XVCb-012'.

There must be a trick to doing this, I just have not found it yet. I appreciate any thoughts or input you folks may have!

Thanks!

Attachments

farmer55952

Equipment
Kubota RTV 900
Apr 13, 2018
Lewiston, MN
I finally got this new front drive shaft on. In between the front drive shaft and the center hanger bearing was a rubber spacer/boot that was held on by a metal factory crimp clamp. I removed the clamp and rubber boot. There was now enough room to slide the drive shaft further up the splined shaft that was covered by the boot. Once I slid this up, the front U joint dropped off the front wheel splined sh. I slid the new shaft on and put the pin/kotter key back in to secure it. I put the rubber spacer/boot back on the splined shaft and used a hose clamp to secure it.

We are back in business!