RTV900 won't idle, runs above idle and stalls at idle

alexrtv

Feb 27, 2018
Hanover
Hi everyone. I have a rtv900 with about 900 hours. It has run great until the other day. I went to start it and it would just crank. I pushed the accelerator pedal down and it fired right up. I left off and it as soon as the engine went to idle, it stalled out. Medium throttle or full and it runs smooth as can be with no smoke.
I first changed the fuel filter, and no change, still stalls out at idle.
I then added injector cleaner and ran it for 30 minutes and no change, still stalls out.
I put on a new mechanical fuel pump and no change, still stalls out.

Am I missing something? Any thoughts?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That's what I needed to know. ;)

The fact that you can push down on the throttle and it will start and run leads me to believe that it's an Idle setting or throttle control issue and not a fuel issue:
It could be an internal issue, but start simple.

First things to check would be the Idle Apparatus (bolts for setting Idle) you do not want to change these you just want to make sure they are in place and tight.
They have a aluminum shield over the Lock nuts that will spin, but the bolt should be tight and locked down to the block.

Next you want to make sure that everything is working on the Throttle control, E.G., Stop solenoid is working (snaps in and holds for approx 5 sec when key is turned off then springs back out.), springs aren't broken, and set bolts are still locked and wired in place.

Attachments

Last edited:

alexrtv

Feb 27, 2018
Hanover
Thank you for the information. I will have to check that tonight. Is the the idle cover item number 060 in your illustration?

alexrtv

Feb 27, 2018
Hanover
Everything seems to be in place and tight. I think I will just take it back to the dealer and see if they can figure it out. Thank you for the help though!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Please check back in with what they find wrong with it. ;)