Frozen loader Control Valve

jodebg

Nov 5, 2013
New Hartford, CT USA
I have a 2004 Kubota B7800 with a LA402 FEL.

The loader control valve freezes during cold temperatures. I understand that
water inside the valve is to blame.

From what I understand, I need to diassemble, clean, lubricate and drill weep holes in the outer covers.

Wondering is someone has done this, has some advise, and maybe some photos would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I think the valve has holes in the back end already, but they plug with dirt/ rust. Depending on valve, the pieces off the back can be removed,cleaned and lubed.
It wouldnt hurt to bag it when not in use.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That's not the type that freezes normally.
Before you jump into taking it apart make sure the handle linkages are free, I'm betting that's where it's freezing up.

And on this model you can NOT drill any holes.
You might need to pull it apart and clean and oil the detents but that model they are semi sealed, but be warned it's not for the faint at heart. :p;)
When you pull it apart all of the parts in yellow will come out. :eek:

Attachments

Last edited:

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100, pto13000kw, Loader, Ripper,Plow,Disc,Mower,Forks,3pt spreader,Box Blade.
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
myself, I would not drill the hole.
I had this same problem on my last L2350, Come to find out it had a small hole in the cap on the hoist/lift spool, when I took the cap off it was full rust & water, (pluged) I don't see how water can get in unless it already has a vent hole,,,, On mine It was "GETTING IN" from me power washing it.. At this point take the cap's off the bottom, at least take a look, the float spring in mine was rusty and deformed, NOTHING, to fall out when you remove the bottom caps.
Hope this helps,,

Last edited:

jodebg

Nov 5, 2013
New Hartford, CT USA
North Idaho Wolfman-

I looked at the parts diagram last year and decided to hold off and hope for the best. When the temp dropped this year, it did freeze again. If I just leave it and it continues to freeze on extra cold days, will the freezing do any damage in the control valve?

The first diagram also has parts that are yelow highlighted. Are these the linkages that need to be lubricated and will I need to remove the plastic cover?

The tractor is stored indoors, but I do wash the tractor several times a year. Can water get into the control valve when I am washing it?

Thanks for your help.

That's not the type that freezes normally.
Before you jump into taking it apart make sure the handle linkages are free, I'm betting that's where it's freezing up.

And on this model you can NOT drill any holes.
You might need to pull it apart and clean and oil the detents but that model they are semi sealed, but be warned it's not for the faint at heart. :p;)
When you pull it apart all of the parts in yellow will come out. :eek:

dtbprc

Equipment
BX2230
Oct 21, 2014
Auburn Township, OH
www.youtube.com
how do you get the caps off? mine are so close no wrench I have will fit- vice grips or crescent are not doing it. I don't want to damage them. they are not left handed threads are they?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes in the first diagram is all the linkage, lube all of them.

Yes you can get water in the valves on rare occasion, but it's usually condensation that does most of the work.

To get the caps off try a socket if you can and they are normal threads.

jodebg

Nov 5, 2013
New Hartford, CT USA
After removing the caps, would it be a good iidea to drill a small hole in the lowest point of the cap to allow condensation to escape?

Would drilling weep holes harm anything?

Yes in the first diagram is all the linkage, lube all of them.

Yes you can get water in the valves on rare occasion, but it's usually condensation that does most of the work.

To get the caps off try a socket if you can and they are normal threads.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Because the caps thread in to the body, drilling holes would be a bad idea because the cap could end up with the holes facing up. ;)

There might be a vent hole in the end cover (S and I) already, if that's the case clean or enlarge the holes just slightly.
Some silicone grease (plumber grease) would really help out in this case.

jodebg

Nov 5, 2013
New Hartford, CT USA
Today I removed the plastic cover on the control valve and lubricated the linkages.

No change in the action. The 2 rods (going into the top of the valve) will lift up
with the control lever, but will not go down into the valve when the lever is moved in that direction..

Hoping this may point us in a direction?

Because the caps thread in to the body, drilling holes would be a bad idea because the cap could end up with the holes facing up. ;)

There might be a vent hole in the end cover (S and I) already, if that's the case clean or enlarge the holes just slightly.
Some silicone grease (plumber grease) would really help out in this case.

DMB7800

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7800, loader, finish mower, monster leaf blower, log splitter, post hole digger
Jan 30, 2015
Kalamazoo, mi
I have the same tractor, same loader and same year with the same problem. I just put an electric heater blowing on valving for about the time I take to put my winter clothes on. Changing the hyd fluid with low temp synthetic did not help. It's just my normal routine.

jodebg

Nov 5, 2013
New Hartford, CT USA
I have a neighbor coming over toe help me disassemble the lower portion of the control valve and to see waht we can do to eliminate the issue.
I will post what we found and what we did, as soon as we are done.