High speed run, pretty scary

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
So I've had my new tractor for about 2 weeks now. Starting to get used to driving it around and using it. I mainly just putt around in low gear. Yesterday I put it in medium, and am driving around, I start going down a slight incline, and I don't see it pop out of gear, but I do realize WOW it's going pretty fast for medium, let off the HST pedal and it keeps hauling, so now I'm using the brakes very gently to stop on gravel, it does some sliding and comes to a stop partly sideways. Talk about a scary ride. Not sure why or how it popped out of gear. Just glad it didn't happen on any of my super steep hills. Any ideas why it would pop out of gear? I have messed with the gear selector and do see it can be slid easily in and out of gear.

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
So I've had my new tractor for about 2 weeks now. Starting to get used to driving it around and using it. I mainly just putt around in low gear. Yesterday I put it in medium, and am driving around, I start going down a slight incline, and I don't see it pop out of gear, but I do realize WOW it's going pretty fast for medium, let off the HST pedal and it keeps hauling, so now I'm using the brakes very gently to stop on gravel, it does some sliding and comes to a stop partly sideways. Talk about a scary ride. Not sure why or how it popped out of gear. Just glad it didn't happen on any of my super steep hills. Any ideas why it would pop out of gear? I have messed with the gear selector and do see it can be slid easily in and out of gear.

That all sounds perfectly normal, you just need to get used to the machine and how the HST works. There are no "gears to pop out of", it's a form of CVT. Bet you were in 2WD on that hill? Keep it in 4WD on hills so you get better downhill engine braking. 2WD on a downhill can be scary if the rears lose traction since the rear is the only axle with brakes on your tractor. No brakes on the front at all, so no braking in 2WD. Medium range is used much more often than low for most users unless you are doing loader work. L=loader; M= mowing, H= highway is a simplistic way to look at it

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
Sounds weird for a HST. Perhaps you did not get the range selector properly in gear.
Others in forum probably know more. Especially with more info such as tractor brand, model, year, terrain, or whatever you can provide.

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
My 3300 has 3 range selections, I have had it pop out of Medium range into neutral once or twice. Don't pay too much attention to the markings by the selector lever, go by feel with a little wiggling back and forth when you select a range. I can tell when I have mine firmly in whatever range I am selecting by doing this.

jnldr

Equipment
L2800
Mar 12, 2010
Knox TN
My 3300 has 3 range selections, I have had it pop out of Medium range into neutral once or twice. Don't pay too much attention to the markings by the selector lever, go by feel with a little wiggling back and forth when you select a range. I can tell when I have mine firmly in whatever range I am selecting by doing this.

^^^^
This

huntfishquest.com

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I've had my L3200 pop out of "M" as bikerdib said. I suspect the range selector wasn't fully in the Medium detent. In that position the lever is where my left leg can contact it and nudge it out of M and into Neutral.

I'd suspect it wasn't fully in gear and wouldn't think there's a problem with it unless this happened after you were certain the lever was in gear and it wasn't bumped out.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Sounds to me like one or both rear wheel was sliding. Not uncommon.

FEL equipped?

FWA engaged?

SDT

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525-FEL, BMLX-3164 3pt Blower, 72" Coteck Sno Pusher, 60" Box Blade
Feb 20, 2017
St.Francois,New Brunswick. Canada
Same thing happened to me just yesterday. When I pivoted in the seat it popped it out of Low and free wheeled. Almost hit my truck. I will be extra careful about that from this point onward.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I had it happen once too. Was moving a trailer, backing down a slight incline. Put the lever into low range, took my foot off the brake and eased on a bit of reverse with the HST pedal. Everything seemed normal until I released the pedal but the tractor didn't stop. Hit the brakes, thought about things for a moment, then tried the range lever and realized I hadn't shifted it all the way. Since then, I pay more attention to making sure the gears are fully engaged when I change range.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Mine fell out of Range M just after I pulled out of the barn and was headed down a slope toward a a very close fence. Got my attention all right, and my solution has been to leave it in gear when I park it. Yes I know that's not good either, but that other experience was pretty interesting. Was glad the brakes worked.

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
Yes I'm assuming the same, must not of been fully in that selected gear. I was in 4 wheel drive. I will be more careful in the future. I just thought it was weird, cause I had been driving around for a bit in M. When I saw the selector after I stopped, I just figured it popped out of gear.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
HST should not "pop out of gear" since there are no gears. It's not a CVT, either. It uses a variable hydraulic nozzle, that's all.

HST has less "engine braking" effect than a gear-drive tractor, although it does have some. The higher the range selected, the less braking effect available.

As others have said, most tractors only have rear brakes. Since weight transfers downhill, heading down a slope will cause the front wheels to have more traction than the rear wheels available...but without 4x4 being engaged, no braking is available at the front wheels. It is a good habit to engage 4x4 before going down any steep sections.

skohler

Aug 4, 2014
Gettysburg, PA
"HST has less "engine braking" effect than a gear-drive tractor, although it does have some. The higher the range selected, the less braking effect available. "

If my HST had more "engine" or whatever braking I would likely fly over my loader bucket. Seriously, when I let off the HST pedal my tractor seems to stop VERY fast. 2WD or 4WD. I seldom ever need to use the brakes at all. Once or twice my range selector was not engaged well and popped into neutral- now that was a fast ride! And yes, needed the pedal brakes for that trip.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
If my HST had more "engine" or whatever braking I would likely fly over my loader bucket. Seriously, when I let off the HST pedal my tractor seems to stop VERY fast. 2WD or 4WD. I seldom ever need to use the brakes at all. Once or twice my range selector was not engaged well and popped into neutral- now that was a fast ride! And yes, needed the pedal brakes for that trip.
Have you tried this on a steep downhill slope? I mean actually steep. HST is design to stop the tractor, which it will do on fairly level ground...but won't on a hill. This is where you notice a gear tractor does a lot better.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The OL had a run like that she went to move one lever, so she said and bumped the hi lo lever into N,going down to the orchard,,, good thing there was a big bunch of blackberries to stop her ,, yahooo buckaroo :D

skohler

Aug 4, 2014
Gettysburg, PA
Have you tried this on a steep downhill slope? I mean actually steep. HST is design to stop the tractor, which it will do on fairly level ground...but won't on a hill. This is where you notice a gear tractor does a lot better.
I notice the self braking on all terrain, I guess it depends on ones definition of a steep downhill. I live in PA where there are definitely hills and my farm has a fair share. Steep? Hard to say. When i say I don't use my brakes often, I seriously only use them on very rare occasion. I am usually in 4WD though as I am not often on a road. On any hill around me if I let off the forward pedal, my tractor stops.

I have not ever driven a geared tractor, but I believe you that is stops even more dramatically.

Vidiot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 & several implements
Apr 28, 2017
Purcellville, VA, USA
All I can speak too is my personal stupidity and a reminder to always check things. I keep my bush hog in a lower field down a decent hill and when going to get it recently I had the FEL on and no weight in the back. I'm just going to get the bush hog, what could possibly go wrong?
Did I mention the day before I was mowing in 2WD and that's where I left it when I parked?
You can guess the rest, quite a wild ride with no brakes but I was able to stop in time, just barely. Note to self; 4WD on hills!

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
This is where you notice a gear tractor does a lot better.
I don't know about that. My HST Kubota will creep a bit on a hill, but the best way to stop my old Ford 9N, with it's nearly useless brakes, was to put it in the opposite gear and slip the clutch!

RLinNH

Equipment
B2650,LA534,BH77
Mar 10, 2018
NH
Placed my b2650 into high gear once and let her rip. I was taken a back by the speed. She stays in M these days.

Maine

Equipment
B2650 RTV-X1120
Apr 12, 2016
Midcoast Maine
HST should not "pop out of gear" since there are no gears. It's not a CVT, either. It uses a variable hydraulic nozzle, that's all.

HST has less "engine braking" effect than a gear-drive tractor, although it does have some. The higher the range selected, the less braking effect available.
Kubota's "HST" tractor transmission have gears in the range portion of the transmission which is located between the hydrostatic portion and the output to the axles. Moving the range selection lever engages the appropriate gears for the selected range. In between range positions no gears are engaged and the transmission is effectively in neutral with no braking from the engine or hydrostatic portion of the transmission.