L185 PTO turns slowly in neutral

Jatuttle

Equipment
L185 2WD
Nov 26, 2017
MS
Noticed the other day that the PTO shaft is turning slowly on my L185 even when the PTO hasn't been put in gear. I haven't had a chance to really fiddle around with it much, but just wondered if anyone had ideas. Fluid level is ok in trans, it runs fine, goes in/out of gear ok, etc. but this is a new thing far as I can remember.
Any input welcome.
Jeff

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
Mine does sometimes but if you grab it theres no drive to it just free wheeling. I don't know if vibration or what makes it do it sometimes. L260

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Its just the viscosity of the oil in the trans dragging everything along with whatever is turning. If you can stop it by hand there's no problem - all normal.

If its hard to hold it from turning, the clutch might be dragging a bit and may need some adjustment.

Last edited:

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
Please do NOT attempt to stop the rotation by hand
Use a 2x4 or similar thing to block the rotation cause IF it is or becomes engaged there goes your hand or worse

Safety first as ALL pto components r dangerous

gcmiller

Equipment
B2910, LA402 FEL, Caroni TC-910 91" finish mower, RTV900
Mar 13, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I once thought my PTO shaft was spinning when it was in neutral, but it turned out the engine vibration was causing the plastic guard around the shaft to spin. The universal joints were not spinning on either end of the shaft, just the guard. Double check if this is what you're seeing and if it is, then it means you're not using the safety chains on the shaft (I wasn't back then, but I am now).

Jatuttle

Equipment
L185 2WD
Nov 26, 2017
MS
Thanks for the replies, I sure hope it's just a quirk like most have expressed. I don't have anything attached to the PTO right now. I may hook up the finish mower and see if anything still rotates. I kill the tractor while working with PTO shaft anyway.
Jeff