Cavitation

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
I haven't seen any refrences to cavitation (erosion) problems with Kubota engines.
It's a problem with other diesels, especially stationery ones.
Anyone got any input?

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Kubota engines are what is called parent bore engine, they don't have liners persay. Engines with sleeves are prone to cavitation and or liner seal leaks hence closer attention to antifreeze and additives must be paid.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ya know there is no end to the knowledge one can find on here

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Cavitation is not limited to wet sleeved engines. I know for a fact Ford engines are parent bore and are subject to cavitation. I own a Ford tractor with a crate motor that I bought used several years ago. Salesman told me engine was replaced due to cavitation. Plus I've read of other parent bore engines with cavitation problems. I never have read about a Kubota engine with cavitation problems.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Cavitation is not limited to wet sleeved engines. I know for a fact Ford engines are parent bore and are subject to cavitation. I own a Ford tractor with a crate motor that I bought used several years ago. Salesman told me engine was replaced due to cavitation. Plus I've read of other parent bore engines with cavitation problems. I never have read about a Kubota engine with cavitation problems.
Well thats a new one. I never place much stock in saleman reports. Cavitation occurs when the section of sleeve exposed to the antifreeze develops tiny bubbles on the sleeve that then burst which erodes the metal and eventually will perforate the liner. Cast iron is not susceptible to this process plus the metal is a lot thicker.

Apparently the ford 7.3l v8 had problems because of the thin cylinder walls. My experience is with inline industrial engines the the consumer junk in vehicles.

Last edited:

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
kuboman
You can believe it or not but Ford tractor engines with parent bores especially the ones built in the 70's -80's have been known to suffer from cyl wall cavitation.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
In an effort to minimize the risk, I switched my tractor over to the same coolant as I use in my Ford/Powerstroke pickup. I use Fleetcharge that is precharged with anti-cavitation additive. It may not be necessary, but can't hurt and then I only need one coolant type on hand for my two diesels.

L3010HST

Equipment
L3010HST w/LA481 loader; Land Pride RB2672 Blade and RF2060 Rotary
Apr 29, 2013
PNW
In an effort to minimize the risk, I switched my tractor over to the same coolant as I use in my Ford/Powerstroke pickup. I use Fleetcharge that is precharged with anti-cavitation additive. It may not be necessary, but can't hurt and then I only need one coolant type on hand for my two diesels.
Ditto! I have a pre 1999 7.3 PSD and an old L3010. My PSD requires conventional 'green' and add a SCA additive or Pre-charged SCA type coolant. I'm running Prestone Command Heavy Duty SCA Pre-Charged. Better safe than sorry with my old Kubota, being they only state to use a 50/50 mix, which tells me nothing 'what' type of coolant or which ASTM, SAE, etc spec it requires.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
It used to be iodine. That was the anti-cavitation additive. The union carbide rep was explaining the difference between heavy duty and automotive coolant. Was all i ran years ago, ucar heavy duty.

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
What Kubota engines are parent bore? I've seen plenty of threads, pics, etc. of early L & B series engines with sleeves. I'm running 50/50 in my B6200 so this "anti cavitation" coolant is new to me. Should I be concerned?

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
What Kubota engines are parent bore? I've seen plenty of threads, pics, etc. of early L & B series engines with sleeves. I'm running 50/50 in my B6200 so this "anti cavitation" coolant is new to me. Should I be concerned?
L3450,M4900,M7040,M7060 are parent bore engines. I think B6200 has dry sleeves as I saw no liner seals in parts catalog

In today's world I think everyone should be concerned/aware of poor coolant caused cavitation. Back when I was a JD dealer service manager(Mid 70's to late 80's) it was very rare for a JD engine to experience cavitation problems but not today.

Last edited:

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
i always add some anti-cavitation fluid in my coolant, on all of my diesels. no issues..
in my gas vehicles, i add some wetter additive, for better heat transfer.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada

!!!! I'm glad you said Fleetcharge when you said you switched to the same coolant as your Powerstroke, because it was that Motorcraft Gold that caused most of the head gasket and failed oil and and EGR cooler problems with the 6.0 Liter.

I switched all my stuff over to Peak Final Charge Global. It is compatible with all coolant types, does not require a complete flush. As long as you have 70% of it, it's as good as having 100%.
No additives needed.

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
Since yesterday was the first real workout my tractor has had in a long time I'm draining the coolant and putting Fleet precharged back in. I'm curious to see what comes out.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Cav is not the only problem that tractors suffer. Lack of regular coolant changes also cause problems. Water pumps, cylinder walls, etc.

One can check the condition of the coolant by measuring with a digital volt meter. Once the coolant reaches 0.4v (DC) it's time to replace it.

It gains voltage because it breaks down; creating acidic solution, which in turn causes the difference in materials (coolant, iron, aluminum) to create voltage like a battery.

0.2-0.4 is considered normal. Above 0.4, time to replace it. It was explained to me that the same principle applies to Ford trucks, dodges, and about everything else. Main problem, however, is that the voltage may differ a little because of material differences, say, like on a VT365 where the cylinder heads are aluminum. I don't know of many kubota's using aluminum cylinder head. Not yet, anyway.

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
!!!! I'm glad you said Fleetcharge when you said you switched to the same coolant as your Powerstroke, because it was that Motorcraft Gold that caused most of the head gasket and failed oil and and EGR cooler problems with the 6.0 Liter.

I switched all my stuff over to Peak Final Charge Global. It is compatible with all coolant types, does not require a complete flush. As long as you have 70% of it, it's as good as having 100%.
No additives needed.
Yep.

I switched all my diesel vehicles to CAT EC-1 spec'd ELC coolant. Should last 5 years and +100,000 miles or more.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Cav is not the only problem that tractors suffer. Lack of regular coolant changes also cause problems. Water pumps, cylinder walls, etc.

One can check the condition of the coolant by measuring with a digital volt meter. Once the coolant reaches 0.4v (DC) it's time to replace it.

It gains voltage because it breaks down; creating acidic solution, which in turn causes the difference in materials (coolant, iron, aluminum) to create voltage like a battery.

0.2-0.4 is considered normal. Above 0.4, time to replace it. It was explained to me that the same principle applies to Ford trucks, dodges, and about everything else. Main problem, however, is that the voltage may differ a little because of material differences, say, like on a VT365 where the cylinder heads are aluminum. I don't know of many kubota's using aluminum cylinder head. Not yet, anyway.
Never heard of that one. Exactly where are you supposed to place the two probes of the voltmeter?

Why not just use a hydrometer?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Never heard of that one. Exactly where are you supposed to place the two probes of the voltmeter?

Why not just use a hydrometer?
Same question I was going to ask ----- the distance between probes. Side by side in the radiator? :) OR IN the fluid and then on the radiator?

Last edited:

L3010HST

Equipment
L3010HST w/LA481 loader; Land Pride RB2672 Blade and RF2060 Rotary
Apr 29, 2013
PNW
Interested in this volt test technique as well.

Hydrometer (one I have) only tests for boil-over and freeze protection and not whether your coolant is worn out.

Also I know when it comes to SCA additives and/or pre-charged SCA coolants, there's test strips you can use to check the anti-cavitation additive condition and add to replenish that protection.

Last edited: