Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Service, Repair & Maintenance

Service, Repair & Maintenance Offer your Kubota service advice, repair procedures or maintenance tips. Have a service related question? Post here.

Old 04-16-2019   #11
D2Cat

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Default Re: uh oh... hydraulic oil leak hst

If it comes out again, might try wrapping some teflon tape around the outside of the seal before tapping it back in.

"Remember the quality of your question directly affects the quality of your answer."
D2Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2019   #12
dggott
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: bx2200

It's held us so far, but have only run it a couple of hours. I did talk to the dealer (40 miles away and we don't really have a trailer, plus I'm sure they'd charge her a couple hundred to pull the cover and axle, then they'd want to replace everything while they were in there. He did say that if it comes out again, clean it up and put some locktite (however it's spelled) on it. I think I like the Teflon tape idea a little better. I'd done a post a month or so ago about whether it hurts anything to overfill the hst, since she did (she checked it cold and not running). Everyone seemed to think no problem. The dealer said that one of the things that could have caused it would be if too much pressure built up and blew it out. So, now I guess that overfilling CAN be an issue. She probably lost a quart (well, it seemed like a gallon) between the time it started, the time I saw it, driving 1/2 mile back to the house, and sitting overnight. Now the level is just right. lol
dggott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019   #13
North Idaho Wolfman

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by dggott View Post
It's held us so far, but have only run it a couple of hours. I did talk to the dealer (40 miles away and we don't really have a trailer, plus I'm sure they'd charge her a couple hundred to pull the cover and axle, then they'd want to replace everything while they were in there. He did say that if it comes out again, clean it up and put some locktite (however it's spelled) on it. I think I like the Teflon tape idea a little better. I'd done a post a month or so ago about whether it hurts anything to overfill the hst, since she did (she checked it cold and not running). Everyone seemed to think no problem. The dealer said that one of the things that could have caused it would be if too much pressure built up and blew it out. So, now I guess that overfilling CAN be an issue. She probably lost a quart (well, it seemed like a gallon) between the time it started, the time I saw it, driving 1/2 mile back to the house, and sitting overnight. Now the level is just right. lol
I have to disagree with D2Cat and agree with the dealer, use loctite or RTV on the seal, teflon tape can seriously damage the HST and or hydraulic system if any of it found it's way into the system.

Always check hydraulic levels with the equipment on level ground and cold.

One thing that overfilling can do is flood vents.

Also just plain old dirt/ debris / and other foreign material, can clog vents and cause over pressure issues, and yes pop wheel seals.

Last edited by North Idaho Wolfman; 04-17-2019 at 11:18 AM.
North Idaho Wolfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019   #14
dggott
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Wolfman-

I thought you were supposed to check it hot. Good to know. And good to know about equipment being on the ground. Now, do I have to use Kubota's hst fluid, or can I use something I can get locally?

the dealer told me there's a breather- shaped like a horseshoe- just a piece of rubber hose, right near the fill and dipstick, but I don't see it for the life of me.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2019   #15
200mph
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower

There is a Breather and it is PN: K2561-36330

It can be seen in the attached drawing. Item 210

Both my Grand L's have the horseshoe shaped breather.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Breather BX2200.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	42321  
200mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019   #16
dggott
2nd Yr. Apprentice

hey, do I check it cold with the engine running or off? In gear, or in neutral?
Old 05-01-2019   #17
North Idaho Wolfman

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more

Quote:
hey, do I check it cold with the engine running or off? In gear, or in neutral?
Cold, level, not running, not in gear.
Old 05-01-2019   #18
dggott
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Thanks Wolfman- go trout fishing for me!
Old 05-01-2019   #19
whitetiger
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: Some Blue, some Red &Gray, some Orange.. .. now a Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK54

Quote:
Wolfman-

I thought you were supposed to check it hot. Good to know. And good to know about equipment being on the ground. Now, do I have to use Kubota's hst fluid, or can I use something I can get locally?

the dealer told me there's a breather- shaped like a horseshoe- just a piece of rubber hose, right near the fill and dipstick, but I don't see it for the life of me.

Thanks
Breather on a BX is on top of the three-point cover right over the rock shaft. It is a small red plastic cap about 1/4" - 3/8" in diameter. You do not have the curved hose breather.

The BX rear axle shaft seal can almost be installed by hand so it does not take much for one to get caugt and pulled out. The bigest thing about installing them is to not have oil on the outer surface of the seal or in the axle housing when you install it. Needs to be a dry fit. Aslo a small bead of sealer on the inside of the lip helps greatly.

Last edited by whitetiger; 05-01-2019 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Added paragraph
whitetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019   #20
dggott
2nd Yr. Apprentice

I knew we'd lost some fluid, but had no idea how much. Assumed was a quart or 2. Went to the dealer and was going to get a couple of quarts, but got 2.5 gallons instead. Started adding and checking dipstick. At 5 qts, I figured we HAD to be close. At 9, we finally registered on the dipstick. I'm amazed the thing would still move.

I guess the seal will have to be monitored- I didn't take it off and it clearly had fluid on it. I just tapped it in. I guess we'll see how long it holds.