bx2350 3pt drop valve stuck

gregz

Equipment
BX2350
Dec 2, 2019
Lowell
Hi guys, new member here. I recently bought a bx2350 that has been used and abused. I spent the last few weeks cleaning greasing fluid changes etc. I just noticed I cannot turn the adjustment knob for the 3pt lowering speed. I did a search and found similar problems if knob is not used it seizes up. My question is, can this be freed up with time and penetrating oil ? or is disassembly required Thanks gregz

I'd post a photo of my new rig but can't seem to figure that out.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Greg, welcome to the forum. On your tractor, begin by spraying the shaft behind the knob with a rust solvent like PB Blaster. Do this a few times and let it soak a few days. Try to turn the knob without great force. If it moves a bit, don't keep trying to turn it the same direction, but go back and forth each direction a little at a time. Too much pressure too soon and you get to get into it!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I answered your question / post on TBY.Net. Same applies here. No 'Holy Grail' or easy answer other than what I explained on the other forum. Like I said there, sometimes they can be freed up but most times, disassembly is required to access the shaft and needle valve and whatever you do, don't apply excessive force to the knob. It's plastic and will break,

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I answered your question / post on TBY.Net. Same applies here. No 'Holy Grail' or easy answer other than what I explained on the other forum. Like I said there, sometimes they can be freed up but most times, disassembly is required to access the shaft and needle valve and whatever you do, don't apply excessive force to the knob. It's plastic and will break,
I have freed up probably 2 dozen drop rate controls on BX series over the years, I have never had to disassemble one.
As D2Cat stated, spray it with penetrating oil and let it soak overnight. I usually remove the knob and put a small crescent wrench on the shaft to wok it back and forth.

They stick because dirt and moisture build-up where the shaft goes into the housing. There is an o-ring a few millimeters below the surface resulting in a void exposed to the elements.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
My choice in penetrating oils, is Deep Creep.. I find that it works better than PBblaster.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have freed up probably 2 dozen drop rate controls on BX series over the years, I have never had to disassemble one.
As D2Cat stated, spray it with penetrating oil and let it soak overnight. I usually remove the knob and put a small crescent wrench on the shaft to wok it back and forth.

They stick because dirt and moisture build-up where the shaft goes into the housing. There is an o-ring a few millimeters below the surface resulting in a void exposed to the elements.
Easy to take apart, hard to access. and I agree (to a point) that spraying with a penetrant is the easiest solution but not a permanent one. Some models (not the BX) have a jointed shaft, not a straight shaft and the joint also becomes seized. It is a bad design in general and the only solution to the issue is regular lubrication and regular 'adjustment' of the lowering control valve. I 'adjust' mine every time I use the tractors. Give it a turn open and closed and return it to it's original position.

Issues arise because of the location and that location collects 'junk', water from washing and other debris and eventually locks the shaft or the needle valve and especially on cab tractors, access is very limited.

The used M9 I purchased last spring was locked tight but because I stripped and refinished all the tin, I was able to completely access the all the underlying components including the valve, linkage and transmission case and I 'cured' the issue by lubricating the valve and actuation shafting.

Non issue now.