Talk Sense to Me about Pallet Fork Capacity

Pete Puma

Member

Equipment
L245DT
Oct 28, 2025
34
10
8
Eastern Washington
I'm going to be getting a pole barn kit delivery that includes multiple 1200 lb pallets of steel siding and roofing.

I have a L245DT plus Model 1200 loader with clamp-on pallet forks.

My gut feeling is that this would be pushing the limits of my tractor, especially since the other day when I used the loader to hold the front end of my riding lawn mower off the ground while I futzed with the deck I noticed drops of fluid from my hydraulic cylinders so it's time to rebuild them.

Am I worrying too much about overloading the loader or should I play it safe and rent a telehandler for that delivery?
 

Caden

Active member

Equipment
1979 B7100
Apr 16, 2026
348
195
43
Virginia
That's too much. I think its a bit much for the tractor its self, but especially with clamp on forks is a no go.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pete Puma

Member

Equipment
L245DT
Oct 28, 2025
34
10
8
Eastern Washington
Yeah, I'm convinced. I should totally go with my first instinct on this one. The telehandler would mostly be because no one around here seems to have outdoor forklifts for rent.

I did move a rock that must have been getting close to that weight with the loader when I had nothing on my three point and even a couple inches off the ground it was pretty sketchy. I figured if I tried this I'd have at least 500 lbs of weight on the rear, but I'm not going to try it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

MapleLeafFarmer

Well-known member

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
1,202
1,195
113
E.
are you installing the pole barn yourself?

the reason i ask is because around these parts all pole barns are delivered on flat deck trailers that either have their own fork lift on the back or a crane on the front. A lot has to do with what type / length of posts being ordered / used.

Have you checked with your supplier or installer?

I don't think your tractor is going to be big enough.



1791488137095.png

1791488189532.png
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

nbryan

Well-known member

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
1,438
951
113
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
That loader is likely capable at tops of safely lifting 1000 lbs, at the bucket pin. I'm pretty sure you'll need heavier lifting capacity.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
13,017
7,361
113
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I'm going to be getting a pole barn kit delivery that includes multiple 1200 lb pallets of steel siding and roofing.

I have a L245DT plus Model 1200 loader with clamp-on pallet forks.

My gut feeling is that this would be pushing the limits of my tractor, especially since the other day when I used the loader to hold the front end of my riding lawn mower off the ground while I futzed with the deck I noticed drops of fluid from my hydraulic cylinders so it's time to rebuild them.

Am I worrying too much about overloading the loader or should I play it safe and rent a telehandler for that delivery?
You wont get a 1200# pallet off the ground.

Dan

Dan
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pete Puma

Member

Equipment
L245DT
Oct 28, 2025
34
10
8
Eastern Washington
are you installing the pole barn yourself?

the reason i ask is because around these parts all pole barns are delivered on flat deck trailers that either have their own fork lift on the back or a crane on the front. A lot has to do with what type / length of posts being ordered / used.

Have you checked with your supplier or installer?

I don't think your tractor is going to be big enough.



View attachment 180236

View attachment 180237
That's a bit of a sore point. The barn is coming from several states away and after we were well into designing it they changed trucking companies. The old company had unload services but the new one doesn't. And now we're trying to figure out if they'll bring a 72' cab+trailer into my driveway or if I'll need to unload at an alternate location 24 miles away.

Biggest items in terms of length are the 24' trusses, but they come on a tilt bed and just slide off.

And in theory my contractor is doing most of the installation in partial trade for some property but he had heart surgery and I'm stressing about him being caught up enough to get the shell on this done before winter sets in. The whole thing is pretty anxiety-inducing.

Yes, I'm thoroughly convinced that I shouldn't be considering unloading the pallets with my tractor. I was almost convinced before I even asked the question.
 

Caden

Active member

Equipment
1979 B7100
Apr 16, 2026
348
195
43
Virginia
Yes, I'm thoroughly convinced that I shouldn't be considering unloading the pallets with my tractor. I was almost convinced before I even asked the question.
Sounds like you are in a tough spot. Sometimes those "bite the bullet" situations make it easier to spend the extra rental money to do things the right way so nothing else goes wrong.

Any way you can block a lane of a road for 20 minutes to unload at the foot of your driveway?
 

TheOldHokie

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
13,017
7,361
113
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
That's a bit of a sore point. The barn is coming from several states away and after we were well into designing it they changed trucking companies. The old company had unload services but the new one doesn't. And now we're trying to figure out if they'll bring a 72' cab+trailer into my driveway or if I'll need to unload at an alternate location 24 miles away.

Biggest items in terms of length are the 24' trusses, but they come on a tilt bed and just slide off.

And in theory my contractor is doing most of the installation in partial trade for some property but he had heart surgery and I'm stressing about him being caught up enough to get the shell on this done before winter sets in. The whole thing is pretty anxiety-inducing.

Yes, I'm thoroughly convinced that I shouldn't be considering unloading the pallets with my tractor. I was almost convinced before I even asked the question.
Rent a small all terrain fork truck. Its not that expensive. Unload the trailer on the road and ferry the load to your worksite. I have done this many times snd with far heavier loads.

Dan
 

Pete Puma

Member

Equipment
L245DT
Oct 28, 2025
34
10
8
Eastern Washington
Sounds like you are in a tough spot. Sometimes those "bite the bullet" situations make it easier to spend the extra rental money to do things the right way so nothing else goes wrong.

Any way you can block a lane of a road for 20 minutes to unload at the foot of your driveway?
Yeah, rental is definitely looking like the best option.

The manufacturer says the other open trailers can be unloaded from the road but for some reason the enclosed one with the steel on pallets can't be. My property is on a "minor rural collector" (I think that's what they call it) and is fairly busy, but if I end up doing it at the alternate location that's out on a dirt road in real farm country and no one would care.

Personally I think a decent driver should be able to pull a 72' rig through a 16' wide gate 40' from the edge of the road, especially because the available width of the driveway at the road is doubled by an old unused cattle guard made of beefy i-beams that wouldn't have any problem taking the weight if they needed to drive on it. Of course, never having driven a 72' rig myself I'm only going to put up so much of a fight on this point.

At one point the county wanted me to fill in the cattle guard but they dropped it. If I end up having to dump a couple yards of 5/8th minus in it so a semi can get in without feeling nervous that might be worth it.
 

Shawn T. W

Well-known member

Equipment
'05 L5030 HSTC - '21 MF GC 1725 MB - '18 JD Z960M Z-Trak
Dec 9, 2024
848
1,563
93
SW Missouri Ozarks
As a truck drive of 34 years, and driving 72' long semi-trucks ... It generally figured that you need the length of your truck to turn ... What I mean is if your road is 22' wide, your driveway should be 50' wide ... Those two numbers added together equally 72'

Sounds like you have about 32' of road frontage, how wide is the road? If it soft ground and he gets stuck, a wrecker bill will start around $1000.

Now ... With that said ... A experienced driver can generally get it done with less room ...

Here are a few pictures of my driveway that I built myself for backing my truck off the 19' wide county road ... The gate posts are 80' from the roadway (so I can back off the road before opening them!) and they are 26' apart ...

IMG_20260128_093021315.jpg

You can see that I flared out the ends of the driveway between the 60' culvert, and road to get a headstart on getting the trailer in.

IMG_20240515_081213105_HDR.jpg

Over all I have about 70' of road frontage to "blindsided" (backing towards the right side of truck) back in off the road, this gives me plenty of wiggle room to make up for being tired or bad weather, or dark ...

IMG_20240413_154614917.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2 users

JasonW

Well-known member
Jan 29, 2015
898
605
93
Al
I don’t have any pictures although a few years ago now I went to help a friend have a building offloaded from a truck at his rural property.
He rented a Lull forklift and I ran it while he was busy with everything else.

Well the driver was too confident and buried the truck and trailer in this driveway after I recommend it wasn’t a good idea. Soft sand and uphill. Had to cut trees down and unload the truck while it was buried. About 8 hours later to finish a 30min job the truck was unloaded.

Long story your tractor is too small. Definitely with clamp on forks. You might be surprised how little you can lift with that set up. Leverage does wonders.
 

GreensvilleJay

Well-known member

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,
Apr 2, 2019
13,893
6,328
113
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
check with 'sunbelt rentals' close to you. heck with a valid credit card they'll drop off a green painted Kubota excavator and no experience needed to run it. Yeah, neighbour did that...kinda freaked me out !
 

Pete Puma

Member

Equipment
L245DT
Oct 28, 2025
34
10
8
Eastern Washington
As a truck drive of 34 years, and driving 72' long semi-trucks ... It generally figured that you need the length of your truck to turn ... What I mean is if your road is 22' wide, your driveway should be 50' wide ... Those two numbers added together equally 72'

Sounds like you have about 32' of road frontage, how wide is the road? If it soft ground and he gets stuck, a wrecker bill will start around $1000.

Now ... With that said ... A experienced driver can generally get it done with less room ...

Here are a few pictures of my driveway that I built myself for backing my truck off the 19' wide county road ... The gate posts are 80' from the roadway (so I can back off the road before opening them!) and they are 26' apart ...

You can see that I flared out the ends of the driveway between the 60' culvert, and road to get a headstart on getting the trailer in.

Over all I have about 70' of road frontage to "blindsided" (backing towards the right side of truck) back in off the road, this gives me plenty of wiggle room to make up for being tired or bad weather, or dark ...
Yeah, that's definitely a lot more room than I have.

I happened to be here last year when they delivered the two halves of our 66' manufactured home. I didn't know it was coming that day but I was getting a shipping container dropped off and hung around for the show.

The first driver didn't hesitate about trying it, but then he realized he was going to need to jockey to pull it off and rather than do that he unloaded the tug they carry for positioning the house on the foundation, unhitched, and used it instead. So I think it's doable but with some effort on the driver's part and if one of the three balks I'm screwed.

Maybe I need to start planning on having it all delivered to the alternate location and trailering it down in smaller loads. Most of it I can handle with a rental trailer and my truck, but it's a newer Ranger rated for 7500 lbs towing and based on past experience I'm not sure anyone will rent me a trailer long enough to handle those trusses.
 

Pete Puma

Member

Equipment
L245DT
Oct 28, 2025
34
10
8
Eastern Washington
check with 'sunbelt rentals' close to you. heck with a valid credit card they'll drop off a green painted Kubota excavator and no experience needed to run it. Yeah, neighbour did that...kinda freaked me out !
Yeah, a few years ago I was the very first person to rent a brand new Kubota excavator and it was also the first time I ran an excavator. I was a little nervous about damaging it. Now I've got a mini-ex of my own.
 
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
3,990
2,470
113
WestTn/NoMs
This sounds like a crappy deal; rather than combine into a single load they're maybe drop shipping at least part of it (steel sheeting?) from the manufacturer. Maybe (hopefully) I'm misunderstanding the situation, but it sounds like they expect you to unload part of it over the side of a flat bed, and part of it out the back of a box trailer.

I would ask them exactly how they load the enclosed trailer. Can you drag it out part way and then lift it (this may need 2 machines) or do you have to reach in the trailer and lift it out? You may need more than the driver's assistance. And be prepared with rigging straps, etc. Can the deliveries be coordinated, or will you have to make a 24 mile jaunt at random times?
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

#40Fan

Well-known member
Jul 21, 2022
667
492
63
USA
This sounds like a crappy deal; rather than combine into a single load they're maybe drop shipping at least part of it (steel sheeting?) from the manufacturer. Maybe (hopefully) I'm misunderstanding the situation, but it sounds like they expect you to unload part of it over the side of a flat bed, and part of it out the back of a box trailer.

I would ask them exactly how they load the enclosed trailer. Can you drag it out part way and then lift it (this may need 2 machines) or do you have to reach in the trailer and lift it out? You may need more than the driver's assistance. And be prepared with rigging straps, etc. Can the deliveries be coordinated, or will you have to make a 24 mile jaunt at random times?
100 out of 100 truss deliveries I've seen are just as the OP describes. Trailer pulls up and they slide them off the back and onto the ground.

Then the rest of the wood shows up and then the metal. (Or flipped order of delivery)

I've never seen any of the deliveries in the back of an enclosed trailer.

I'll take a guess that the OP bought from Menards.
 

PoTreeBoy

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
3,990
2,470
113
WestTn/NoMs
100 out of 100 truss deliveries I've seen are just as the OP describes. Trailer pulls up and they slide them off the back and onto the ground.

Then the rest of the wood shows up and then the metal. (Or flipped order of delivery)

I've never seen any of the deliveries in the back of an enclosed trailer.

I'll take a guess that the OP bought from Menards.
In post #11 OP wrote,
"The manufacturer says the other open trailers can be unloaded from the road but for some reason the enclosed one with the steel on pallets can't be."
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user