Thoughts of a Mini Excavator

Shawn T. W

Well-known member

Equipment
'05 L5030 HSTC - '21 MF GC 1725 MB - '18 JD Z960M Z-Trak
Dec 9, 2024
839
1,519
93
SW Missouri Ozarks
I was only considering Deere, CAT, Hitachi, Bobcat ...

My "hang-up" was I really had a lot already invested in my SCUT in modifications and add-ons, that to park/hide $8K of BH in the corner of my barn, to buy a Mini-X didn't make sense to me ... My SCUT TLB does what I need done.

I have almost no space constraints, my 16 acres is mostly wide open, so there is plenty of room for my BH, I do wish I had more side swing on my BH, but ... Not enough to make me take a loss on parking or selling it ...
 

someguy9000

Member
Oct 7, 2022
50
23
8
California
Late to the party. If you have the $$ and don't mind the maintenance of an extra motorized machine, get the excavator. The BH77 is NOWHERE near as good. Had mine on an L3901 for 6 years, and its better than a shovel. I've dug up rocks, stumps, used it as a poor man's grapple to move logs ect. Bought the BXpanded quick attach, thumb, ripper, 6 inch bucket, all useful.

Do I regret it....no....I've still had to rent an excavator (4ton) a couple times to dig out massive stumps/rocks. The BH doesn't have the juice. The middle pin finally snapped on mine because its poorly engineered IMO, so now im dealing with that.

Where it 10000% SUCKS is related the weight of the tractor. The BH is strong enough to pull the tractor, to it, so you are CONSTANTLY having to get off and readjust position. With the mini ex, you save alot of time not readjusting position.

In OPs use case, id probably just get all like tasks grouped up, and rent a mini ex. I dug 14 oak stumps out in one day the last time I rented one. I probably spend 2-3 hours working on 1 stump with the BH77, before I either get it out, or decide I'll never get it and save it up for the next mini rental.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

John T

Well-known member

Equipment
2017 BX23S 385XP Miller211 1952 Panhead Orange Ludwig 4 piece
May 5, 2017
1,359
882
113
under a rock
Where it 10000% SUCKS is related the weight of the tractor. The BH is strong enough to pull the tractor, to it, so you are CONSTANTLY having to get off and readjust position. With the mini ex, you save alot of time not readjusting position.
Agree. I've done a lot of work with mine but it is a pain to flip the seat/constantly readjust etc.
it makes a good rear ballast though. :ROFLMAO:
 

John T

Well-known member

Equipment
2017 BX23S 385XP Miller211 1952 Panhead Orange Ludwig 4 piece
May 5, 2017
1,359
882
113
under a rock
I saw this on Marketplace this morning. I suspect someone slapped some Bota decals on a chinese mini. (am I wrong?)

I PM'd him for the model # and a picture of the ID plate.
$7500.00 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

IMG_9165.PNG
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sidekick

Well-known member

Equipment
Kioti CK2620SE cab, RTV-X, BX2360, Z726XKW-3-60
Jul 29, 2023
1,287
1,866
113
N.Y,
I saw this on Marketplace this morning. I suspect someone slapped some Bota decals on a chinese mini. (am I wrong?)

I PM'd him for the model # and a picture of the ID plate.
$7500.00 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

View attachment 180024
Looks like he thought a Kubota sticker would raise the value $4k over the auction price.