Local wildlife

Paul Allwood

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7200HSTD, homemade FEL, front flail mower, forks & ballast box, tiller
Jul 8, 2025
795
1,482
93
Baranduda, Victoria, Australia

Shawn T. W

Well-known member

Equipment
'05 L5030 HSTC - '21 MF GC 1725 MB - '18 JD Z960M Z-Trak
Dec 9, 2024
839
1,519
93
SW Missouri Ozarks
You seem to have your fair share of snakes. Are they venomous ?
Some are ... The little itty bitty ones I posted above in the fresh dirt are Baby copperheads, they are quite common around here ... But keeping the grass cut, allows my cats to get the mice better, which is why the snakes are here ...

This one wasn't happy when I was evicting it! I pulled 7 of these black rat snakes out of my basement after I moved in ... And I was trapping over a dozen mice every time I came home, they weren't keeping up!

IMG_20230403_184545006_HDR~2.jpg

I sealed it up better, and now the cats got it under control for me!

Hers a tiny one that I busted the rock that was its roof with my mower!

IMG_20260710_123613670~2.jpg

Here's a yellow bellied racer in the center of the picture, just sticking its head up to watch me as I was mowing the lawn on the other side of its field!

IMG_20260605_105408914.jpg

Turkey Buzzards ... Probably the day after a coyote nailed one of my cats and it was able to crawl into the shed before dying that the two are sitting on top of on the left . . .

#2 1 4_29_26.JPG

Here is a video of a bunch of barn swallows getting lunch!
Barn Swallows
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Well-known member

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
3,673
6,870
113
Central Piedmont, NC
NCL4701 , the one with whiskers on it's legs is new to me. What is it called?
It’s a Praying Mantis. Most are green, at least they are here. But they can also be brown. They can change color when they molt, which allows them to blend with their primary environment whether that’s green or brown. I don’t recall ever seeing more than a handful of brown ones. The whiskers on the large front legs are spikes for grasping prey.

That particular mantis was a very patient model for a brief photo shoot.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

jaxs

Well-known member

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
1,107
831
113
Texas
I failed to realize pic 2&3 are the same creature due to camera angle in 2. They are common in Texas,spent lots of time playing with them when I was a kid. Same as yours,predominatly green with an occasional darker hues.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
3,962
2,460
113
WestTn/NoMs
Some are ... The little itty bitty ones I posted above in the fresh dirt are Baby copperheads, they are quite common around here ... But keeping the grass cut, allows my cats to get the mice better, which is why the snakes are here ...

This one wasn't happy when I was evicting it! I pulled 7 of these black rat snakes out of my basement after I moved in ... And I was trapping over a dozen mice every time I came home, they weren't keeping up!

View attachment 180030

I sealed it up better, and now the cats got it under control for me!

Hers a tiny one that I busted the rock that was its roof with my mower!

View attachment 180031

Here's a yellow bellied racer in the center of the picture, just sticking its head up to watch me as I was mowing the lawn on the other side of its field!

View attachment 180032

Turkey Buzzards ... Probably the day after a coyote nailed one of my cats and it was able to crawl into the shed before dying that the two are sitting on top of on the left . . .

View attachment 180033

Here is a video of a bunch of barn swallows getting lunch!
Barn Swallows
I'm glad to see you have turkey buzzards; all I see around here now are black buzzards. And you can keep your snakes; I'm trying to appreciate them, but so far it isn't working.