Ideas to un-stick pivot pin?

tcmeyers

New member

Equipment
B2601HSD, LA434 loader, Skid Steer Quick Attach (SSQA), B2324 bucket, BH70
Jun 4, 2026
15
7
3
70
Washington State
On my BH70 backhoe unit (on Kubota B2601HSD) the large pivot pin (25 mm diameter) on the square tube that that sets the thumb position is stuck. That pin is supposed to be pinned to the frame of the backhoe arm with a small diameter bolt, with the bushing at the not-thumb end of the tube doing the pivot action. That bushing is frozen to the large pin. Forcing the tube to pivot only succeeded to shear the small bolt into 3 pieces. That makes the thumb usable now, but I’d like to fix it properly. Hammering on and drenching with penetrating rust remover hasn’t freed the pin from the bushing.

What should I try next? IMG_4831.jpeg
 

tcmeyers

New member

Equipment
B2601HSD, LA434 loader, Skid Steer Quick Attach (SSQA), B2324 bucket, BH70
Jun 4, 2026
15
7
3
70
Washington State
You could try some heat, but I'd likely just cut the pin with a Sawzall.
Heat the bushing and chill the pin. I’ll try. Maybe a heat gun and ice cube, before I torch the paint.

Sawing would remove some of the bushing but I guess I could even that up with bucket pin shims, or maybe ignore it, it’s just for positioning the thumb. Thanks!
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Well-known member

Equipment
B1750 with MMM. Everything else sold prior to relocation.
Apr 15, 2018
3,703
1,421
113
Montana
Heat the bushing and chill the pin. I’ll try. Maybe a heat gun and ice cube, before I torch the paint.

Sawing would remove some of the bushing but I guess I could even that up with bucket pin shims, or maybe ignore it, it’s just for positioning the thumb. Thanks!
Heat gun will not suffice. You will need a torch.

You could try an impact hammer with an appropriately sized piece of hard bronze rod.
 

85Hokie

Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
11,143
3,089
113
Bedford - VA
I had on exactly like this at a friends house - lots of liquid wrench (or whatever) and a BFH.

Tap on one end - then the other, and play the dance back forth song.

Rock the thumb arm as you oil and hit with hammer

It will move.

Heat will mess up things ......... not easily fixed!
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
6,915
4,243
113
Texas
LUbricafte overnight… then a Port-a-Power to press it out. Your local body shop will have one.

In the future, grease it using Moly grease.
 
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user

Mowbizz

Well-known member

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
634
358
63
New Hampshire
Had the opposite problem when I first bought my thumb for my BX25D backhoe! The damned pin would not fit in the bushing! Hammering lubing, and finally I bought a cylinder hone to work the inside of the bushing…got it in but hope I never have to take it out!!