BX25 Brakes squealing like metal on metal....Help

Jonny C

New member

Equipment
BX25
Sep 27, 2026
2
1
3
Central Virginia
I need some help. When the brakes are applied on my BX25, they sound like metal on metal. I have over 500 hours on it. Probably closer to 1000. My small farm is on a hillside and my wife likes to use the brakes. I was an auto mechanic years ago. Is this a big deal to change the brakes? I do have a fairly well equipped shop at my house. Where can I get a manual so I can get torque specs. Is there a factory manual available. Where can I get one.

Jonny
 

North Idaho Wolfman

Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
36,423
11,221
113
Sandpoint, ID
Fairly easy job.

1790563656874.png

The manual is called the WSM.

Look at the envelope top right of your screen. ;)
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

RPro

New member

Equipment
BX25D, BX23S, tiller, box scraper, chipper/shredder,
Sep 26, 2025
1
2
1
Northern CA
Your BX25 it has wet breaks. In general, they get ruined by leaving the parking brake on while driving. Nonetheless, I use the reverse pedal to stop and then use the break to hold the tractor while parked. I heard that it costs about $4000 to have Kubota replace the disks because of the labor. The parts are under $100. The right rear axle case needs to be removed and it is difficult to get to all the bolts with the fender/floor pan in place. Changing the brakes on a truck is trivial, but replacing the disks on a BX is not a trivial DIY job.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jonny C

New member

Equipment
BX25
Sep 27, 2026
2
1
3
Central Virginia
Your BX25 it has wet breaks. In general, they get ruined by leaving the parking brake on while driving. Nonetheless, I use the reverse pedal to stop and then use the break to hold the tractor while parked. I heard that it costs about $4000 to have Kubota replace the disks because of the labor. The parts are under $100. The right rear axle case needs to be removed and it is difficult to get to all the bolts with the fender/floor pan in place. Changing the brakes on a truck is trivial, but replacing the disks on a BX is not a trivial DIY job.
$4000 even $2000 is well out of my budget. I am retired and on a fixed budget. I do have time and experience with building engines and transmissions. I am sure it isn't that hard. I have pulled off the rear fenders and seat before. I have a lift in my shop so I can use that to help with any lifting. I guess I will video it while I am going to log everything just in case. I always have my son to help if necessary.

Thank you for the assistance.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
12,929
7,334
113
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
$4000 even $2000 is well out of my budget. I am retired and on a fixed budget. I do have time and experience with building engines and transmissions. I am sure it isn't that hard. I have pulled off the rear fenders and seat before. I have a lift in my shop so I can use that to help with any lifting. I guess I will video it while I am going to log everything just in case. I always have my son to help if necessary.

Thank you for the assistance.
I have removed both outer axle housings on a B7200 which is probably a bit larger.

Based on that experience I dont see this as terribly difficult - just messy and time consuming. I would replace any seals along with the brakes. Basic hand tools, a floor jack and stands should be all you need

Dan
 

whitetiger

Moderator
Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
3,776
2,183
113
Kansas City, KS
The right rear axle case needs to be removed and it is difficult to get to all the bolts with the fender/floor pan in place.
It is impossible to remove the rear axle housing without removing the rear fenders, fuel tank, and then removing the transaxle assembly from inside the frame.
After that, the RH axle housing is easily removed to access the brake assembly.
The parts are over $100.00 also.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user