BX23S-RCK54BX Mulch Kit - Thoughts.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
As you can see, ALL THE DECKS configuration and design are VERY similar.

My BX 54" deck.
1000022843.jpg

A JD visual reference, with a proven design that works very effectively and efficiently.
1000022842.jpg

Another JD reference.
1000016570.jpg

And another.
1000022845.jpg

I'm thinking that designing and building a Mulch Kit for the Kubota DECKS would be a fairly simple task.

I know I could make one for my deck, however, I'm talking in terms of mass production.

Someone should take on the idea and market them.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Houston we have a problem, none of the picture are visible. :unsure:

You might have to save the pictures and then reattach them.

Edit: All better now! 😁

Last edited:

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Uhhhh.........Kubota did that already. I have their mulch kit on my 54" deck.
Does it look like the kits depicted in the reference images?

What gauge tin is it?

Is this what you're referring to?

Reactions: 1 user

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Yes, looks like the kit installed in the video. I did not do the install. My dealer did it before I took delivery 7 years ago. Sorry, I don't know the gauge of the metal, but it's not as thick as the deck itself. I don't use the Kubota blades. I use G6 Gator blades.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Yes, looks like the kit installed in the video. I did not do the install. My dealer did it before I took delivery 7 years ago. Sorry, I don't know the gauge of the metal, but it's not as thick as the deck itself. I don't use the Kubota blades. I use G6 Gator blades.
My posting is in reference to/for a "commercial" mulch kit. Not the one you have.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
What do you think would be the difference for a "commercial" mulch kit?
I come to the Kubota BX23 series from a John Deere X739. The previous was a great piece of equipment, though lacking in several areas that I needed. It wasnt cost effective to add a rear PTO and FEL for lack of capabilities afterwards. The BX series was almost identical LxWxH in comparison, plus it was overall more capable.

The JD 54HC deck did great (much better) with the addition of the Full-Time Commercial Mulch Kit, which consisted (as pictured) of the 1/8" thick dividers. It cut beautifully wet and dry for me.

The "kit" Kubota sells (my opinion) is not a true mulch kit as compared to whats available for the JD. That's the part I miss.

I don't recall the price for the kit you have on yours, I think it was $300-$350 area. The commercial FT JD kit was comparable (pre-covid) in price. I'd venture a Kubota commercial kit to cost $450-$500 if they were available now.

Kubota has had commercial kits available for some models, though not the decks designed for the BX Series. Why? It makes no sense. I feel if someone were to design a HD Kit to a mass producer, it would quickly become a top seller.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
While you make think it's a great idea and makes 'sense' you have to look at the bottom line 'cents'.
To R&D a 'mulch kit' will take serious upfront coins. You could easily rack up 20-30K for the prototype, another $10-15K for CNC tooling.Then there's actual manufacturing, marketing, warehousing, shipping,etc. Could have $50K spent, more like $100K. At $50k, you need to sell 100 kits to breakeven IF you can make it for $250. Steel isn't cheap anymore, CNC is $100+ /hr, need a press for the 3 semiarcs, and a LOT of 'little' details cost time and money( nuts and bolts, how to install instructions,shipping boxes ).
Like many 'great ' ideas once you do the 'math', it's just not profitable.

I've done R&D and POC(Proof Of Concept ) for electronic devices for decades and the 'Devil's in the details'. At $100/hr most projects end up on the bench NOT out the door. did they work, yes, can you make a buck, no....

Reactions: 1 users

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
While you make think it's a great idea and makes 'sense' you have to look at the bottom line 'cents'.
To R&D a 'mulch kit' will take serious upfront coins. You could easily rack up 20-30K for the prototype, another $10-15K for CNC tooling.Then there's actual manufacturing, marketing, warehousing, shipping,etc. Could have $50K spent, more like $100K. At $50k, you need to sell 100 kits to breakeven IF you can make it for $250. Steel isn't cheap anymore, CNC is $100+ /hr, need a press for the 3 semiarcs, and a LOT of 'little' details cost time and money( nuts and bolts, how to install instructions,shipping boxes ).
Like many 'great ' ideas once you do the 'math', it's just not profitable.

I've done R&D and POC(Proof Of Concept ) for electronic devices for decades and the 'Devil's in the details'. At $100/hr most projects end up on the bench NOT out the door. did they work, yes, can you make a buck, no....
You can lead a horse to water...

A Mulch Kit isn't in the realm of that.

Draw it, program into the plasma cutter, cut it, roll it, jig it, weld it, add some hardware, done. Basically.

A place like TractorToolsDirect could make the product very profitable.

Last edited:

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
So what's wrong with the one Kubota already sells? Doesn't look all that much different from the JD photos you posted.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Camels have only 2 humps and dromedaries have but one. The animal on the pack of Camel cigarettes is s dromedary.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
So what's wrong with the one Kubota already sells? Doesn't look all that much different from the JD photos you posted.
I've never seen (am not aware of) a Mulch Kit like the one JD makes for the RCK54-23BX. The only one I've ever seen, is like the one in the video I posted above.

Edit
All I've found has been discontinued

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re:
Draw it, program into the plasma cutter, cut it, roll it, jig it, weld it, add some hardware, done. Basically.

humour me Trimely, if you think it's THAT easy.......
Please spend the time and 'draw it'. Keep accurate time on the hours you spend,which includes taking deck off,making templates, drawing it into computer,measuring everything, confirm it can be 'simple bolt on install'.
The 'program into plasma' is the easiest for me, as long as there are 3 accurate dimensions on your drawing.
Forming the piece( OK, not a 3 humped camel, more like a 'Nessie' ) would be interesting. Still like to see a 'roller' do it,though I suspect the 400t B+B press will do it.

My hunch is that procutters use 'fancy' blades' that mulch and they cut grass more often ,so no 'mulch kit' is needed for their machines.

Reactions: 1 user

biketopia

Equipment
B2650, RK 60" BB, 42" tiller, 72" LP FM, Forks, Grapple, FEL
Feb 15, 2024
Warrenton VA
A BX is not a machine a commercial operation would use to cut grass, at least not efficiently. The speed and maneuverability of one makes it prohibitive. So there is really no need for a high end "commercial" grade mulch kit. The one Kubota offers I'm betting will serve the majority of homeowners for the life of the machine. A commercial guy is going to put 1000+ hours a year cutting grass typically. For them speed is money so a zero turn or stand on will produce a better, quick cut.