Can installing a new battery with high cranking amps be good or bad?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It’s a long long story I’ve posted about previously…so I won’t go into it in detail again…But…

When I bought my tractor from it’s second owner … he’d allowed the battery to completely fail before he bought another. Problem was…. when it failed… it had shorted internally …(probably due to rough terrain breaking the ever-thinning plates apart)… which took out that expensive Kubota alternator. (That defect was not discovered by me until after I got it home…. that new battery demonstrated the tractor just-fine the day I looked it over.… It was a week later that I troubleshot and discovered the failed alt.)

Automotive starting batteries are not as robust internally as batteries intneded for off-road and marine use that can expect pounding surf or terrain. When those plates fracture from rough treatment the battery dies and can cause additional damage to the electrical system. When it’s time to replace your battery… consider a battery intended for the purpose…not necessarily one intended for the street vehicle.

Not saying that an old battery kills alternators… that is a very rare occurance…. but it CAN happen.
“An ounce of Prevention is worth a pound of cure.”

Last edited:

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Jay,
Is that true for all Kubota models? I seem to have remembered reading that the glow plugs are not energized when the key is in the start (starter energized) position.
It's easy enough to find out by connecting a volt meter to glow plug circuit while starter is engaged. Even if plugs aren't operating while starter turns engine battery amperage was temporarily reduced by gp load. To see that effect in action ,test battery voltage then cycle plugs and recheck voltage immediately afterwards.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I want to get a new battery for my B8200 Kubota diesel. I am finding there are many cranking amp options available. One option is 936 cranking amps with 750 cold cranking amps. My first thought is the higher the amps the better the diesel engine will start. Then the other side of me worries that maybe too many amps could end up damaging something with the tractor? The old battery now has 560 cranking amps and 420 cold cranking amps. I would like to get a stronger battery but not sure how much bigger I should go. Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
If the replacement battery is the correct type, voltage, size, and the terminals match position and type, then the more the merrier when it comes to cranking amps advertised, CA & CCA.
It basically means there's more power available under any temperature range than the old one.
New tech has made this possible.
But the prices, well, you more or less do get what you pay for, which can be a lot!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

New tech has made this possible.
Maybe…. Or it can be thinner/spongier plates that offer greater surface-area….(but at the expense of fragility and life expectancy as they erode over time.)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
RE: glow plugs on when starting.
Consensus says yes, so far every wiring diagram I've found shows that they are.
Now some newer 'computered' Kubotas have a sensor to not power them IF engine is at 'operating temperature'( whatever that is..... ).

Easy to confirm/deny... firmly connect an 1157 on the glowplug feed and see what happens when you 'start'.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I noticed the exact same thing. Factory batteries are great.

But I must admit that I use Wally World specials most of the time, so "you get what you pay for " probably applies.

Now my Trolling motor batteries are a completely different story. Those are the "high end" AGM's.

Not being able to go to work cause your truck won't start is one thing, but not being able to troll for Walleye is totally unacceptable. ;)
IMHO, Wally World Everstart Maxx, are the best battery buy in the marketplace.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
So where does one buy a DieHard off road industrial battery theses days GeoHorn ??
Another thing is with all the advancements in technology and batteries it would seem the lead/acid battery is obsolete??

Last edited:

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Maybe…. Or it can be thinner/spongier plates that offer greater surface-area….(but at the expense of fragility and life expectancy as they erode over time.)
Regardless, there's more CA & CCA there. I look at battery warranties carefully, too.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
A lot of analogies have been made. I'll add one more:
You plug your phone charger into a outlet in a 15 amp circuit. It doesn't draw 15 amps. The starter can be connected to a 500 CCA battery, or a 900 CCA battery. It's only gonna draw what it is designed to.
One bit of advice- go with a AGM battery. They are more resistant to vibration damage.

Dustball

Equipment
2016 B2650HSDC
Sep 15, 2023
Hudson, WI
A lot of analogies have been made. I'll add one more:
You plug your phone charger into a outlet in a 15 amp circuit. It doesn't draw 15 amps. The starter can be connected to a 500 CCA battery, or a 900 CCA battery. It's only gonna draw what it is designed to.
Fully agree! A battery or a power supply will only provide as much current as they're being asked to. They don't push the current, it's a draw of current. The more amperage you have available, the less chance of starving whatever is needing the power. High draw devices such as starters, winch motors, and glow plugs perform better when they're not starving for power.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Fully agree! A battery or a power supply will only provide as much current as they're being asked to. They don't push the current, it's a draw of current. The more amperage you have available, the less chance of starving whatever is needing the power. High draw devices such as starters, winch motors, and glow plugs perform better when they're not starving for power.
Yes but. Continued cranking reduces the amount of current any battery can supply and that eventually begins to starve the load. The benefit of the higher CCA ɓattery is extended cranking time.

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
So, when the WSM provides battery specs with CCA, the number given is for minimal start power? If so, why do they suggest that? And, if that's the case, why don't they say miminal CCA.

TG

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
So, when the WSM provides battery specs with CCA, the number given is for minimal start power? If so, why do they suggest that? And, if that's the case, why don't they say miminal CCA.

TG
Same reason the manual for your car probably doesn't either. Nor does it say the minimum alternator output. It's simply a specification of what is in there to begin with.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

TG
Like every OEM they size it to accomodate a normal starting scenario. As long as that scenario holds you are fine.

Bit that can change. For example if you are starting in unusually severe cold the starter draw and crank.time can go up. Or glow plugs get weak and engine compressuon drops off with age and you have to cranl longer to get it started. In those scenarios you may benefit from a larger reserve. Simple enough?

Personally, when I shop for batterries i will readily pay a SMALL premium for a little extra CCA.

Dan

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You'd have to ask a Kubota tractor electrical design engineer as to HOW and WHY they print the specs they do. The CCA 'spec' could be based upon sampling say 10 tractors at various temperatures and starting conditions. As such ,it might be the average of the CCA needed to properly start the tractors.
I spent about 3 months doing R&D on getting the best battery for my remote energy control systems. In the end made the cabinet larger so it'd fit.
What I foud interesting , is the BX23S spec of 8.6 A for recharge rate, so if you start a very cold machine with a weak battery, you'll need to run at med-hi revs for a long time to recharge the battery !

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
You'd have to ask a Kubota tractor electrical design engineer as to HOW and WHY they print the specs they do. The CCA 'spec' could be based upon sampling say 10 tractors at various temperatures and starting conditions. As such ,it might be the average of the CCA needed to properly start the tractors.
I spent about 3 months doing R&D on getting the best battery for my remote energy control systems. In the end made the cabinet larger so it'd fit.
What I foud interesting , is the BX23S spec of 8.6 A for recharge rate, so if you start a very cold machine with a weak battery, you'll need to run at med-hi revs for a long time to recharge the battery !
Along with other benefits such as extended battery life that's good reason to have seldom used equipment on a maintainer while not in use. In above scenario not only will battery be fully charged when cranking, battery will be recharged to full capacity in the event tractor isn't run long enough to replace amps used while cranking. Remaining in less than full charge for extended period is detrimental to amp storage capacity and battery life.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Thanks to the replies to my question about the manual specs for a battery. I, in my ignorance, bought a battery as specified. Had I known, I would've gotten more CCA. Oh, well...live and learn. I seem to be doing more of the former than the latter!

TG

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks to the replies to my question about the manual specs for a battery. I, in my ignorance, bought a battery as specified. Had I known, I would've gotten more CCA. Oh, well...live and learn. I seem to be doing more of the former than the latter!

TG
Absolutely nothing wrong with following the book.

Dan

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

TG
Simple rule of thumb: Buy the battery with the most Cold Cranking amps (CCA ) that will fit in your battery holder.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas

TG
Get your chin up ! If ignorance were a hanging offense all of us would be standing in line waiting to pay the penalty. Well,,,,,,,,most of us at least. A few think they know everything about anything 🐸 and were born that way.