Looking for a new trailer...

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Congrats...and good choice.

Before you pull the trigger, perhaps inquire about fork carriers....something like these. You may be able to do them as a small add on....

View attachment 115511

View attachment 115512
I might have to add fork carriers to my two equipment trailers, not because I need to take a set of forks anywhere, but because they're cool. :ROFLMAO:

If I need to transport a tractor and a bunch of implements anywhere I'll use the M1078, which has a 5,000lb pay load rating in the "bed", and pull one of the 15k rated trailers behind.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
THANKS EVERYONE for your input!!

I decided to go with the 10K trailer. Having the 12" vs 10" brakes and overall heavier suspension, is worth the extra $$. Just the better braking capability will be worth it. Besides I'll be towing the tractor for MA to NC in the spring, so having the heavier trailer will be safer overall.

Thanks again!
Those RICE trailers look good with plenty of nice features. Congrats on the purchase. I have a bit of a trailer obsession with seven and counting, well, six and a half.

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Those are good ideas! I figure once I get it, I can fabricate any add-ons I might need.
Fork pockets are a simple add on, and I love mine.

One bit of advice I will share from my own personal experiences with adding fork pockets is that instead of using 2 rectangular tubes (3x6 if I recall) I would fab up 'one wide box" with possibly a support in the middle.

This way if you adjust your fork width for some reason you wont have to "re-adjust" them to fit the fork pockets when loading them back on the trailer.

One "wide box" will allow for a less than perfect "angle of attack" when loading as well.

It's not a huge deal, but something to consider.

Here's my version if your bored some day.

06B3030

Equipment
B3030, LA403, BH75, York Rake, Plug Aerator, 6' Rear Mower, Forks, Weight Box
Sep 21, 2015
MA
Fork pockets are a simple add on, and I love mine.

One bit of advice I will share from my own personal experiences with adding fork pockets is that instead of using 2 rectangular tubes (3x6 if I recall) I would fab up 'one wide box" with possibly a support in the middle.

This way if you adjust your fork width for some reason you wont have to "re-adjust" them to fit the fork pockets when loading them back on the trailer.

One "wide box" will allow for a less than perfect "angle of attack" when loading as well.

It's not a huge deal, but something to consider.

Here's my version if your bored some day.
That came out really nice!!!!!!

Jasonized

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3902, LA526, box scraper, grapple, pallet forks, tree ripper, lane shark 3
May 16, 2023
California coast
Congrats...and good choice.

Before you pull the trigger, perhaps inquire about fork carriers....something like these. You may be able to do them as a small add on....

View attachment 115511

View attachment 115512
oh, I like those… took me a minute to figure out what I was seeing, but looks good. You could probably make a simple addition to trailers without by welding on braces below the rails.
Might not need them, as most people seem to just put them on the front and buckle them down, but still.. if I was going to add them, I would probably also weld on a bracket to lock them in place (drop bar?) to make it quicker to secure.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
oh, I like those… took me a minute to figure out what I was seeing, but looks good. You could probably make a simple addition to trailers without by welding on braces below the rails.
Might not need them, as most people seem to just put them on the front and buckle them down, but still.. if I was going to add them, I would probably also weld on a bracket to lock them in place (drop bar?) to make it quicker to secure.
Where they (fork pockets) really come in handy, is when you need to take multiple attachments.

Since I made mine, the forks pretty much stay with the trailer 100% of the time if they are not on the tractor, so it also doubles as a convenient, out of the way storage device.

06B3030

Equipment
Sep 21, 2015
MA
Does anyone use D-Ring Pocket Stakes to tie down (Like these), or just hook the chains in the pockets???
Just curious.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Does anyone use D-Ring Pocket Stakes to tie down (Like these), or just hook the chains in the pockets???
Just curious.
I use inserts like those.

I thought about just using the pockets, but I was concerned that if I ever used a "cloth" strap for something lighter duty, it might get worn/cut on the edges.

Edit: Those are clearly better than the ones I have though.

06B3030

Equipment
Sep 21, 2015
MA
I use inserts like those.

I thought about just using the pockets, but I was concerned that if I ever used a "cloth" strap for something lighter duty, it might get worn/cut on the edges.

Edit: Those are clearly better than the ones I have though.
That's what I was thinking as well. They just seem to make sense. These are a little more money, but nicely made. Hell you guys convinced me to move up to the 10K trailer...why not the better D-Ring Stakes, it's only money!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
That's what I was thinking as well. They just seem to make sense. These are a little more money, but nicely made. Hell you guys convinced me to move up to the 10K trailer...why not the better D-Ring Stakes, it's only money!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:
There's a reason why they don't put pockets in coffins.......You can't take it with you...LOL

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
That's why they don't put pockets in coffins.......You can't take it with you...LOL
Yep…and I am pretty Georg strait said they don’t put luggage racks on hearses…but IMO you could be buried with it all if you have a BH…yet another reason for it. 🤪

• Haha

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I bought six of those style of D-rings a few years ago and they work well. I bought them from the local PJ dealer for $9 each which was crazy cheap. I couldn't make them for $9. You can see one in the photo below.

d-ring-3.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

06B3030

Equipment
Sep 21, 2015
MA
I bought six of those style of D-rings a few years ago and they work well. I bought them from the local PJ dealer for $9 each which was crazy cheap. I couldn't make them for $9. You can see one in the photo below.

View attachment 115585
That was a steal!!! I have some 1/4" plate and was contemplating making my own...sometimes it's just easier to buy things and be done with it!!!!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Just curious.
Get the d-ring pockets!

One guy really tore up our other trailer by simply hooking to the pocket and over tightening the chains.

I got mine from amazon or mytee products

06B3030

Equipment
Sep 21, 2015
MA
Picked up the trailer yesterday. My Neighbor tagged along to look at a Ferris is600z zero turn, it was on the home from the trailer dealer. Turned out to be a nice unit. It was a 2013 with 219 hours, super clean!

The trailer was a little "bouncy" feeling with nothing on it. Once the ZT on it, it was super smooth...didn't even know it was there!!! I think it needed a little tongue weight. Had the "Brake Gain" set to 3 and the truck stopped like the trailer wasn't there. Really happy with it!!! AND the best part is...I averaged 23.2 mpg driving home with the trailer!! :D

Bought it in NH...they had to shovel a little snow off it...that time of year!!!

AGAIN...thanks for all your input and suggestions!!!!!!!

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

Truck-Trailer.JPEG

2013 Ferris is600z...thing was in amazing shape!! He got it for $3800. Included the original rear turf tires and a mulching kit.

Ferris ZT.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Nice!

I wish I had not gotten the side railings....I might cut them off.

With that little zero turn on the trailer it reminded me of Chris Farley and "Fat guy in a little jacket"

85r8u5.gif

• Haha

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
Nice!

I wish I had not gotten the side railings....I might cut them off.

With that little zero turn on the trailer it reminded me of Chris Farley and "Fat guy in a little jacket"

View attachment 115955

Yeah side railings are pointless imho. I've had a few trailers with them and at the end of the day any benefit they could offer can be achieved with stake pockets, a couple 2x4s and 2x6s. My latest trailer acquisition being a home build has them for tie off points. I plan on cutting them off and adding stake pockets for ease of loading palettes of material.

20231003_094054.jpg

To anyone in the market this is what an lx looks like on a 16' trailer. Fits like a glove but you can't take anything else with you or any implements longer than a box blade, aka brush hog. Couldn't beat the price though at $600. It'll get the job done for small tasks until I get around to finishing the restoration of my big trailer.

John D 2

Equipment
B2601 LA435 loader, 54inch MMM, carry all, boom pole, fertilizer spreader.
Jun 6, 2023
Texas
Congratulations on a nice trailer.

Now go get some water sealer and put it on the boards.

Especially if it's going to be kept out in the weather.