Z725 Stalling out

jmontois340

Equipment
Z725
May 24, 2018
Rochester
Back again with more problems with my Zero Turn.

My Z725 stalls out when I push the control arms forward. I can pull them back to the neutral position and the motor will pick back up and idle fine.

Seems fuel related not sure where to start though. Anyone experienced this or heard of something similar? Any help appreciated.

jmontois340

Equipment
Z725
May 24, 2018
Rochester
Quick update. This was occurring with a 1/4 tank of gas. Filled it up and it seems to be running ok for now.

Maybe the added fuel pressure helps?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Is it gasoline or diesel fuel? I have no idea which but the problem may be similar on either.

The diesel may have a small lift pump between the tank outlet and the injection pump. It may have failed and does not pump fuel to the injection pump. When tank is low the injection pump is starving for fuel. When tank is fuller there is enough head (gravity) to feed the injection pump.

If gasoline it may be the same problem but the pump is mounted close to the carburetor and is driven by the crankcase pressure changes- called a pulse pump. Drives little fuel but enough to keep the fuel bowl full. If the diaphragm is split it won’t deliver enough fuel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jmontois340

Equipment
Z725
May 24, 2018
Rochester
It's a gas Kohler engine.

I replaced the fuel pump and no help. I took the fuel sender out and looked in the tank and it looked clean, no grass or other buildup near the bottom of the tank.

Anyone have any idea? Grass is getting long! :(

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Will the engine rev up to full speed before you try and go forward?

If it dies the instant the control levers go forward, it sure sounds like a safety device is kicking in.

dave

jmontois340

Equipment
Z725
May 24, 2018
Rochester
Engine revs to full speed and can sometimes run for hours without issue.

Then it just bogs down at full speed, you bring the control arms back and you can keep the engine running. If you keep them at full forward the engine will die.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Diagnosis of these kinds of complaints are VERY VERY hard to do online, and most of the time even over the phone.

Now, that said, get on your mower, go make it act up. As soon as it starts to bog/die (if I am understanding correctly it does that right?), reach over and push the choke lever to "choke". Does the engine then increase power and speed? If yes, you have a fuel problem of some sort. If no, you likely have either a mechanical problem or engine problem or perhaps electrical problem.

The safety switches on the control arms work the minute you move the arms from "out" to "in", only have to move them maybe an inch at the most. With parking brake ON, move the arms slowly from out (neutral) to in. Engine should die as you move each arm away from "neutral". IF they do that, then the switches are working properly. Very very rare to have a control arm switch fail because of where Kubota installed them and how they installed them. Seat switch failure is also very rare on the Z700 series. Brake switch sometimes, not often. Not rare but not often. HOWEVER; the brake itself sometimes sticks partially down which makes the system "think" that the brake is on, thus as soon as you move the control arms, the engine will die. To test, the next time it dies while in operation, reach under the brake pedal with your toe and pull the brake pedal up towards you. Does it pick back up and run properly? Yes=lubricate brake shaft. No=you have a different problem.

The good news is that they're fairly simple. The bad news: Kohler. I hate Kohler. Ignition coils and starters have been very very common failure parts as of the last year or so, maybe it's because so may machines are coming with Kohlers, I don't know....I have a stack of starters at the shop, and probably half that stack of ignition coils, specifically DSAI coils but also a few MDI's. I'd just as soon have a kawasaki and actually I may end up converting my ZG127 to a kawasaki now that I've got a selection of engines to choose from (all need repair).

Reactions: 1 user

jmontois340

Equipment
Z725
May 24, 2018
Rochester
Thank you so much for this thorough and insightful response! I will let you know the results of some of the tests you described. Thanks again.

jmontois340

Equipment
Z725
May 24, 2018
Rochester
Ok after driving it for a little bit I would say that when the engine starts to struggle, putting full choke on helps for maybe 2-3 seconds and then it continues to struggle and eventually die.

The parking brake seems fully disengaged.

I also placed an inline spark plug tester in and it does not appear to be losing spark while the engine is struggling which I assume is how any of the safety switches work.

Does this make anyone lean towards a fuel issue? I looked in the tank and it appears clean and free of debris. The fuel filter is new as well as the air filters.

Anyone have further advice?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Ok after driving it for a little bit I would say that when the engine starts to struggle, putting full choke on helps for maybe 2-3 seconds and then it continues to struggle and eventually die.

The parking brake seems fully disengaged.

I also placed an inline spark plug tester in and it does not appear to be losing spark while the engine is struggling which I assume is how any of the safety switches work.

Does this make anyone lean towards a fuel issue? I looked in the tank and it appears clean and free of debris. The fuel filter is new as well as the air filters.

Anyone have further advice?
Remove the hose from the shut-off valve on top of the tank, pull the shut-off, and standpipe from the tank. The rubber grommet may come with it, no problem.

Blow backwards thru the valve, preferably with compressed air. It probably has grass debris in it.

To reinstall, remove the rubber grommet from the valve and insert it into the tank, then push the valve back thru it. It will snap into place, it's easier with a little lube at the valve. Reinstall hose and go mow.

DAlbrecht

Equipment
Z724 zero turn
Oct 13, 2021
tx
Will the engine rev up to full speed before you try and go forward?

If it dies the instant the control levers go forward, it sure sounds like a safety device is kicking in.

dave
I have had the same exact problem on my Z724. Replaced the fuel filter, didn't help, replace fuel pump, didn't help, kabota service tech said carb could have trash ( didn't seem probable since fuel filters were clean but pulled carb and checked) didn't help. Changed air filters didn't help, blew out fuel tank cap, didn't help. It wasn't till I read one of these post to try and go out and pull the fuel shut off/fuel pick up tube out and reverse blow threw it to clear it and guess what. The SOB runs great now. Thank you so much for the one thing I hadn't done or thought of. This is now going to be my go to site for kabota repair trouble shooting. Thanks again.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
The newest revision of the Z700 series has a filter on the pickup tube. The old/originals did not, and these would plug the shutoff valve elbow with junk. How that junk gets into the tank is beyond me. Maybe grass clippings aren't cleaned off of the filler neck when refueling, who knows.

The newest tube/valve assembly is K3811-96210, comes with pickup tube/valve assembly and grommet. If yours is plugged, you'd be wise to replace it with this newest style filtered valve assembly. And-it's not very expensive either. I think about $25 last I checked. Or you can order it from messick and pay about that much in shipping.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB, 2014 RTV-1140CPX
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
I am not familiar with this machine, but wanted to ask if there is a safety switch on the seat that could cause an issue when the operator moves around.

DAlbrecht

Equipment
Z724 zero turn
Oct 13, 2021
tx
I am not familiar with this machine, but wanted to ask if there is a safety switch on the seat that could cause an issue when the operator moves around.
Pretty sure all mowers of any kind have the safety switch in the seat and yes it could cause it to shut off

Tkplus

Equipment
Z724
Jun 10, 2022
Diagnosis of these kinds of complaints are VERY VERY hard to do online, and most of the time even over the phone.

Now, that said, get on your mower, go make it act up. As soon as it starts to bog/die (if I am understanding correctly it does that right?), reach over and push the choke lever to "choke". Does the engine then increase power and speed? If yes, you have a fuel problem of some sort. If no, you likely have either a mechanical problem or engine problem or perhaps electrical problem.

The safety switches on the control arms work the minute you move the arms from "out" to "in", only have to move them maybe an inch at the most. With parking brake ON, move the arms slowly from out (neutral) to in. Engine should die as you move each arm away from "neutral". IF they do that, then the switches are working properly. Very very rare to have a control arm switch fail because of where Kubota installed them and how they installed them. Seat switch failure is also very rare on the Z700 series. Brake switch sometimes, not often. Not rare but not often. HOWEVER; the brake itself sometimes sticks partially down which makes the system "think" that the brake is on, thus as soon as you move the control arms, the engine will die. To test, the next time it dies while in operation, reach under the brake pedal with your toe and pull the brake pedal up towards you. Does it pick back up and run properly? Yes=lubricate brake shaft. No=you have a different problem.

The good news is that they're fairly simple. The bad news: Kohler. I hate Kohler. Ignition coils and starters have been very very common failure parts as of the last year or so, maybe it's because so may machines are coming with Kohlers, I don't know....I have a stack of starters at the shop, and probably half that stack of ignition coils, specifically DSAI coils but also a few MDI's. I'd just as soon have a kawasaki and actually I may end up converting my ZG127 to a kawasaki now that I've got a selection of engines to choose from (all need repair).
Mr Bolt: I had this same problem, just blew out the straw after soaking in GumCutter, and ordered the upgrade with the screen.

Went out and went at some deep grass, all good.

Is there a way I could donate some $ to you or a cause? This is worth at least a few hundred bucks of saved time and $

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Mr Bolt: I had this same problem, just blew out the straw after soaking in GumCutter, and ordered the upgrade with the screen.

Went out and went at some deep grass, all good.

Is there a way I could donate some $ to you or a cause? This is worth at least a few hundred bucks of saved time and $
Nah, the reward is your working mower.

Msh

Equipment
Kubota Z724, Kioti CK20HST
Remove the hose from the shut-off valve on top of the tank, pull the shut-off, and standpipe from the tank. The rubber grommet may come with it, no problem.

Blow backwards thru the valve, preferably with compressed air. It probably has grass debris in it.

To reinstall, remove the rubber grommet from the valve and insert it into the tank, then push the valve back thru it. It will snap into place, it's easier with a little lube at the valve. Reinstall hose and go mow.
I had the same problem and had already replaced the fuel filter assuming it was blocked intermittently. That worked for two weeks and then it started happening again yesterday. Came in, did a quick on line search, saw your post and the one below from lugbolt, pulled the shutoff and stand pipe out, blew it out with my compressor and out spat a little wad of god knows what junk. Put it back in and now it is running just fine. Thanks to you both! Saved me a bundle as the next step might have been replacing the fuel pump.

JenJen

Equipment
Z725 mower
Aug 24, 2022
Ohio
I just had $1000 in repairs (failed gasket and oil loss) and services (all fluids and filters changed) done to my mower. Mowed for 90 mins just fine on Friday. Tried to mow Monday and kept losing power. I would stop moving and/or shut off the blades and the engine would ramp back up. This happened 5 or 6 times while mowing a 100x100 foot section of yard. It wasn't too thick. Today I could turn the key and it would start but then just kind of wind down regardless of where I had the choke. Plenty of gas. I saw the tip about removing a tube and using a compressor to blow it out. I would like to try that but I don't know enough about my mower. Can someone be more specific with instructions? Thanks so much!!

poke71

Equipment
Z725KH-60
Dec 11, 2022
Virginia
On my third rodeo with my Z725KH-60 experiencing the same issue. Starts up, sounds funny, go to move and it loses power, but still runs. One of my ignition coils has failed again. It's running on a single cylinder. Turn off, pull a plug, start it up again. If it starts and acts the same, you found it. If not, reattach and pull the other plug to verify you have the right one. Procure a new ignition coil and buy a few extras for the future. Drop it in and keep moving. Seems like a faulty manufacturer part that should be redesigned and recalled. Reminds me of my old VW GTI I had when I was 21. Drove around with a box of mass airflow sensors in the trunk as they failed every few months.