Z725 Stalling out

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
on the Kohler's, get the engine number and call Kohler directly--ask them if there's any upgrade for the ignition modules. Some of them had a kit that was to be installed; replaces both coils with updated ones that to my knowledge, don't fail. Kubota had a part number for SOME of the Kohler engines on the smaller Z 100 series mowers that might work. Just depends on what coils you already have. There's MDI coils and there's DSAI coils. The DSAI's are failure prone.

hunt_ak

Equipment
Z723
Jul 12, 2023
Alaska
Kubota.jpeg

Remove the hose from the shut-off valve on top of the tank, pull the shut-off, and standpipe from the tank. The rubber grommet may come with it, no problem.

Blow backwards thru the valve, preferably with compressed air. It probably has grass debris in it.

To reinstall, remove the rubber grommet from the valve and insert it into the tank, then push the valve back thru it. It will snap into place, it's easier with a little lube at the valve. Reinstall hose and go mow.
Sure enough, I had a little wad of crap come out as well. Was fighting what I thought was an overheating issue as it was losing power/dying under heavy load (dynamic turning, mowing quickly, etc.). A little more googling found me here and after a 10 minute fix we seem to be in business running better than ever!

Reactions: 1 user

hunt_ak

Equipment
Z723
Jul 12, 2023
Alaska
I saw the tip about removing a tube and using a compressor to blow it out. I would like to try that but I don't know enough about my mower. Can someone be more specific with instructions? Thanks so much!!
Lift up your seat to expose your fuel tank. At the rear find the fuel pickup which has a red shut-off valve on it (see photo in post above of part). Remove hose from barbed end then pull assembly out of the tank. Blow compressed air backward through the tube and you'll probably get a little wad of grass/gunk/etc. Put the grommet back into the tank, then put the tube back into the grommet. Reinstall fuel line and you're done.

brooster

Equipment
B5200, BX2360, L3940, Z781i KW
May 15, 2021
Troy NC
Back again with more problems with my Zero Turn.

My Z725 stalls out when I push the control arms forward. I can pull them back to the neutral position and the motor will pick back up and idle fine.

Seems fuel related not sure where to start though. Anyone experienced this or heard of something similar? Any help appreciated.
I have a cub tank 60 with a Kawasaki 31 hp, it is stored outside but under cover. About every 2-3 yrs it will start running crappy, have found out to be the coil packs, moisture gets to them and they start to de-laminate, replace them and runs like new

wilkinsa11

Equipment
Kubota z724
Jul 7, 2024
North carolina
I have a cub tank 60 with a Kawasaki 31 hp, it is stored outside but under cover. About every 2-3 yrs it will start running crappy, have found out to be the coil packs, moisture gets to them and they start to de-laminate, replace them and runs like new
Is it considered an ignition coil?

JenJen

Equipment
Z725 mower
Aug 24, 2022
Ohio
View attachment 107075

Sure enough, I had a little wad of crap come out as well. Was fighting what I thought was an overheating issue as it was losing power/dying under heavy load (dynamic turning, mowing quickly, etc.). A little more googling found me here and after a 10 minute fix we seem to be in business running better than ever!

Would you happen to know the part number for this and/or the grommet? I can't seem to find a diagram with this, but it is definitely the problem! My grommet disintegrated!