When is additional weight too much weight?

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Where I grew up into adulthood, I operated commercial and some Ag equipment. Almost every piece of equipment had water ballast in the tires. It was in the southwest area, with no long-term freezing temps.

I hated it. Changing a tire filled 60 to 80 percent with water, or any liquid, is a PITA. That being said, it was common and helped with stabilization. And traction.

The issues I see are twofold.

Number one is stress on the axle and transmission housing when the rear filled and has weighted tires. It hits a bump and lifts off of the ground. The weight far out on the tire and installed into the outer wheel rim has massive leverage on the housing and axle.

Number two, is the transmission has to start rotation, from a stop, or in reversing, that much more weight. A LOT more weight. Especially with hydrostatic transmissions. With a manual, you almost had to stop to change directions. With hydrostatic, it's instant. Rotating mass.

Be well. I AM a fan of 3 point implements used as a counter ballast. I know that I'm not always right for all situations. And I don't mow grass with a compact tractor.

Choose wisely. It's your repair money.

Last edited: