Truck / trailer questions

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
It's a total pain to have to register them every year. I have 4 trailers that I have to do every year! that's on top of everything else, boat, kayak, ATV, both vehicles, etc...
Any way for NY to make money right?

Cars or trucks over 10 years old qualify for a permanent plate up here, so my F250, Jeep TJ, boat and five trailers all have a one-time permanent registration.

Do the trailers have to pass an inspection where you are?

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
Any way for NY to make money right?

Cars or trucks over 10 years old qualify for a permanent plate up here, so my F250, Jeep TJ, boat and five trailers all have a one-time permanent registration.

Do the trailers have to pass an inspection where you are?
You're lucky! That's how it should be.
Luckily we do not have any inspections here in Indiana.
Jeep TJ eh? I've been building and wheelin jeeps for 35 years.

Reactions: 1 user

Sidekick

Equipment
Sidekick 850, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
It's a total pain to have to register them every year. I have 4 trailers that I have to do every year! that's on top of everything else, boat, kayak, ATV, both vehicles, etc...
The part that stinks here is as they get older the rates continually rise and it costs more every year. At least boats are 5 years here. I will admit that I chose the wrong state to retire in.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
You're lucky! That's how it should be.
Luckily we do not have any inspections here in Indiana.
Jeep TJ eh? I've been building and wheelin jeeps for 35 years.
I've had my TJ for almost 25 years! I've been into off-roading for decades, but not as long as you. I've made a lot of changes to my Jeep over the years to improve off-road performance and safety. They are so much fun and incredibly reliable.

Reactions: 1 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I've had my TJ for almost 25 years! I've been into off-roading for decades, but not as long as you. I've made a lot of changes to my Jeep over the years to improve off-road performance and safety. They are so much fun and incredibly reliable.
Edit, My appolgies... Much of the following will not make sense to the non-Jeep folks.

Sold my 05' TJ Rocky Mountain 4.0 six in 2019 because it had to pass smog in CA every two years. Failing the last 6 year's, I had to let it go. Sad shame too.
Mine had Detroit's front and rear, tummy tuck, full cage to frame, body cut mount rock sliders, RockHard4x4 skids and bumpers, 8K Warn. Currie control arms on 5" lift and 35's. 4.56 gears. So much I can't remember. And, I did it myself in the garage.
Took it over several black diamond trails. Hammer visits a few times. Was a Jeep Club guy back then.

Girl was my baby. Died (to me) due to Gov regs.

For what it's worth to you TJ owners; Best mod I EVER did to it, was the tummy tuck.
EDIT: O yeah, I can't forget Tom Woods Driveshafts and RCV front axles. I still have a couple Jeeps. A YJ crawler and a JT Mojave.

Last edited:

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
Edit, My appolgies... Much of the following will not make sense to the non-Jeep folks.

Sold my 05' TJ Rocky Mountain 4.0 six in 2019 because it had to pass smog in CA every two years. Failing the last 6 year's, I had to let it go. Sad shame too.
Mine had Detroit's front and rear, tummy tuck, full cage to frame, body cut mount rock sliders, RockHard4x4 skids and bumpers, 8K Warn. Currie control arms on 5" lift and 35's. 4.56 gears. So much I can't remember. And, I did it myself in the garage.
Took it over several black diamond trails. Hammer visits a few times. Was a Jeep Club guy back then.

Girl was my baby. Died (to me) due to Gov regs.

For what it's worth to you TJ owners; Best mod I EVER did to it, was the tummy tuck.
EDIT: O yeah, I can't forget Tom Woods Driveshafts and RCV front axles. I still have a couple Jeeps. A YJ crawler and a JT Mojave.

The CJ's are my favorite Jeep of all but the TJ is running up up there with it for me. My last two Jeeps were a 17 JK and a 22 JKU both were Willys. The JKU was the GF's ride and she had to have it in a manual shift.
I installed my lift on the side of the road in her housing addition. Used 20 ton floor jacks to get the Jeep high enough so I could drop the axles to fit the 4.5" lift. I did metal cloak all around including upper and lower control arms. That was the smoothest suspension I've ever installed on Jeep. I also went with the Adams driveshafts. The Rzeppa joints just don't hold up when you get to this kind of lift on a 2-door Jeep (real Jeeps lol). Not to mention, you don't wanna be wheeling on factory shafts with the tires we run. I tried talking the GF into letting me put a lift on her new JKU but she wasn't having no part of that lol.
I'm on the hunt for a CJ now to start building. a 1978 CJ 7 was my first Jeep. My pop bought it for me when I was a teen and I've been hooked ever since.
JK.jpg

• Love

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Yes, the price is similar between 7k and 10k trailers but be careful of the tires the trailer manufacturer uses. The biggest difference here in NY is the registration cost every year is considerably higher for the extra 3k rating. Also be careful that the 10 k rating even if you don't use it doesn't push you over the combined gross vehicle weight rating of the truck should thereever be a problem. The manufacturer ratings for towing have been thoroughly tested and staying within those limits, hitch weights, and combined weights will be trouble free. Ask about the requirements for an equalizer hitch as over 5k on a 1/2 ton they are usually required.
"registration cost is considerably higher"

Have you considered trailer registration in Maine.
You do not need a Maine residence, or Maine mailing address.
MANY over the road commercial trailers are registered in Maine.
Flat fee ($20) per year for up to ten years.

Sidekick

Equipment
Sidekick 850, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
"registration cost is considerably higher"

Have you considered trailer registration in Maine.
You do not need a Maine residence, or Maine mailing address.
MANY over the road commercial trailers are registered in Maine.
Flat fee ($20) per year for up to ten years.
That is illegal in NY now and supposedly they are cracking down on it. If you have NY plates with a Maine plated trailer you will have a good chance of being singled out by State Ploice. The local sheriff's are good guys and most won't harass you. If your license and registration are in your name and over 30 days old the trailer had better not be in your name registered to a different state. You have 30 days to get a license and switch registrations to NY and anything you tow has to be switched also after moving to NY. If the trailer has a different name on the registration or is a rental no problem. Otherwise you will be issued a ticket and the judge will most likely toss it out after you agree to pay several hundred dollars worth of surcharges. Welcome to NY, a state that is trying to suck upstate residents dry to feed NYC waste.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
That is illegal in NY now and supposedly they are cracking down on it. If you have NY plates with a Maine plated trailer you will have a good chance of being singled out by State Ploice. The local sheriff's are good guys and most won't harass you. If your license and registration are in your name and over 30 days old the trailer had better not be in your name registered to a different state. You have 30 days to get a license and switch registrations to NY and anything you tow has to be switched also after moving to NY. If the trailer has a different name on the registration or is a rental no problem. Otherwise you will be issued a ticket and the judge will most likely toss it out after you agree to pay several hundred dollars worth of surcharges. Welcome to NY, a state that is trying to suck upstate residents dry to feed NYC waste.
You are SO fortunate to have both Kathy Hochul, and Eric Adams! :giggle:
I will NEVER have NY plates,...... so guess I am safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user