Truck got totaled

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
A friend had an '09 Ram 2500 diesel, brand new, put I think 57k miles on it and he took it in for a switch in the dash. They fixed it and charged him, said since he didnt' have the 50,000 mile service done that his "bumper to bumper 100,000 mi warranty" expired at 50,000.
Without knowing the specific details, it sounds pretty shady, especially in the US. First, if the required service interval did not include any service to the switch or related components in question, then they can't deny warranty coverage. EG: they can't deny warranty on a failed transmission because the tires weren't rotated at the recommended interval, but they could if the transmission fluid wasn't changed as required.

Second, the US "Magnunson-Moss" act provides that required service can be done by anyone (including the owner -- but you may have to provide receipts and logs to prove it was done) and still maintain warranty. The only way they can require the owner to use a specific shop (eg: the dealer) is if they provide that service for free.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Unfortunately not yet :( Still need more money for down payment :eek:

If you are shopping, I'm sure you know the GM rebates now. I know your lost truck was a Chevy. Not lobbying for a brand, but I couldn't resist getting my 6th red Silverado.

Seems I saw both Ford and Ram deals lately too?!?

It really sucks you got in this spot, especially from someone not paying attention.....I know it would bother me a lot!

Timing wasn't right (July), but I honestly would have given you a shot a my dealer's trade value for my '13 to get you back into a truck. Was a good truck with only 42k on it. My Dad wanted it too, but my Mother would have shot me if I tried to sell it to him! (He really doesn't need one)

Anyway, good luck in your search and gathering "resources". New or used, they're so damned expensive anymore....still remember when a new 4WD 1/2 ton Work Truck got to $13,000, I thought how can anybody afford that?!?!?

Best wishes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
If you are shopping, I'm sure you know the GM rebates now. I know your lost truck was a Chevy. Not lobbying for a brand, but I couldn't resist getting my 6th red Silverado.

Seems I saw both Ford and Ram deals lately too?!?

It really sucks you got in this spot, especially from someone not paying attention.....I know it would bother me a lot!

Timing wasn't right (July), but I honestly would have given you a shot a my dealer's trade value for my '13 to get you back into a truck. Was a good truck with only 42k on it. My Dad wanted it too, but my Mother would have shot me if I tried to sell it to him! (He really doesn't need one)

Anyway, good luck in your search and gathering "resources". New or used, they're so damned expensive anymore....still remember when a new 4WD 1/2 ton Work Truck got to $13,000, I thought how can anybody afford that?!?!?

Best wishes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the sentiment :) I have only had Chevy trucks. While I'm not a Ford convert yet that unintentional forced test drive has made me want one. It was enough (I'm having a hard time saying this) to give them a shot. I have never owned a new vehicle my lovely Wifey-Poo said we will try to make that happen. I'm still not sure how we are gonna afford it.