Truck got totaled

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
So............
My truck was totaled by a driver who wasn't paying attention (I do not know why she wasn't). We (My family and I) were stopped because of traffic jam and she hit us going an estimated 45-50 Mph. My family and I are still a bit banged up but are on our way back to somewhat normal. Anyways my 2004 Silverado is gone :(

Question for my Orange friends. I was able to have a nearly 2 months 7,500 mile test drive of a 2017 Ford F250 6.7 diesel crew cab with only 10 miles on the odometer when I left the rental lot. We were absolutely impressed with the power and towing capability. We averaged 19ish Mpg non towing and 11ish-12ish towing my 8,500 travel trailer over 3 mountain passes and an overall elevation change going from 3,000 feet to sea-level and back.

Does anyone have an fact based opinion of the new Ford Super Duty? Was my performance what could be considered normal?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
First and foremost, I am happy you are here to tell the story, and that your family is safe.
Lil Bro and Dad liked Fords, me not so much, I have had so much good luck with my GM trucks. From people that I know that own the Ford diesel they love them, big time, and thats about all I know. They aint cheap to work on or get fixed, but then nothing is any more.
So ya pays your money and takes your chance, and if you and the clan like it then, thats all that matters.
Just thank what ever deity you believe in, that every one is OK, and get a good lawyer

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
First, good to hear everyone's ok.
All the new rigs from every manufacturer are Very nice compared to trucks from 10 years ago. The new series of Ford Diesels (6.7 Powerstroke) are so far ahead of the old Diesel school bus motors of years past. Do some research and read comments from all the info sights and forums. Ford has FINALLY designed a diesel truck motir instead of purchasing someone else's, and it shows. Maintenance is much better on the new designs too. Get the nicest package you can afford, especially if you will keep it for 10 years, you don't want to be disappointed every time you drive it! You want to hop in and say to yourself how much you love it.
You live by the biggest Dodge dealer in the West, measure by the seat of your pants. Go hop in a GM and Dodge too. Don't be in a hurry to buy something your not in love with! I recommend the Ford Super duty King Ranch 4x4, it's a cowboy Cadillac.... yes I'm a ford guy

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Just glad you and your family are alright. Like bearskinner said if your not in a hurry go take them all for a drive, they're all nice trucks but money talks and lots of reviews on them all...good luck.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
You live by the biggest Dodge dealer in the West, measure by the seat of your pants. Go hop in a GM and Dodge too. Don't be in a hurry to buy something your not in love with! I recommend the Ford Super duty King Ranch 4x4, it's a cowboy Cadillac.... yes I'm a ford guy
Because of that dealership and what they have done to my town Oh HECK to Dodge. I know a bit closed minded. It helps my mindset that most everyone I know who owns them are working on them often. :(:(:(

I am a Chevy guy who may just get my first Ford :eek::eek::eek:

I am not 100% sure of my decision yet

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Do they still have to take the cabs off the Ford diesels in order to do any work on the motors? Or has Ford finally changed the design of the truck so that they can be worked on without removing the cab?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Do they still have to take the cabs off the Ford diesels in order to do any work on the motors? Or has Ford finally changed the design of the truck so that they can be worked on without removing the cab?
Cab off. Same for Chevy/GMC's, depending on what needs to be done.

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Taking the cab off actually saves a ton of time, and gives you unlimited access to the engine compartment. The Ford and GM V8 Diesels are huge, and it's hard to get to major components. Dodge is easier with the inline 6 Cummins. Just like doing a fuel pump on a truck, it's easier to remove the bed than drop the tank. Once the beds off access is excellent.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Back in 04, a coworker and I replaced a fan belt on a power stroke. Took us 4 hours with lots of cussing. Will never do another one. Only thing I'll do on one is replace an alternator and service one. Everything else is too tight to get too.

fatjay

Equipment
Kubota B8200, B7200, ZD21
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
Glad you and your family is safe.

I'm all ford, all the way, even though I currently drive a GM. It's just reinforced my passion for Fords, and will be getting back into one soon. I tow big loads and it is night and day between ford and gm.

Cab off is amazingly easy for fords IF you have a lift. 8 bolts, 2 wiring harnesses, and a couple hoses, you can have it off in 30 minutes. However if you don't have a lift, or don't need special access, you can do the majority of the engine work undoing the 8 bolts, leaving the harnesses and hoses connected, jacking the cab up 4 inches, and putting it on jack stands. I can do it in about 20 minutes now. All trucks inevitably have their issues, especially if you run them hard. I've found that fords have been easy to work on once you know what you're doing.

Tunaslayer

Equipment
L2501 TLB, Wheelhorse 417-8/414-8
This is my 17' gasser. Love it! You should do some research. These trucks have way to many options, and not all configurations are eligible. I settled on this one over a diesel for the 9k price difference, but the powerstoke is a rocket ship. This truck is no slouch, but when I looked under the hood, and saw that big diesel shoe horned in there, I saw hundred dollar bill flying out of my wallet. The 6.2L Boss engine is a worker, and has a good pedigree. I'm seeing 16-18 mpg hwy, and 12-14 city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I have a diesel, 2003. Yes I changed the fan belt recently. And water pump. Under an hour for both. It's not as hard as people make it out to be. Unfortunately, once the D word (diesel) hits, the price for repairs goes up. Water pump on mine was $174 and the belt was $48. I have changed a water pump on an old 351w gas burner for $50 today's cost-including gaskets and coolant. For that matter, I also did my 2003 Lightning (5.4 supercharged) water pump for cheap-using motorcraft parts and coolant.

Anyway....

if you plan on keeping it, make sure to keep some sort of warranty on it, unless you enjoy forking out a lot of money down the road for repairs. Gas or diesel, but diesel obviously costs more.

Diesel....you have DEF to deal with; among other things. Personally after owning and running diesel pickups, I don't see the hype (and yes it's mostly hype). I think I'd just as soon go back to a gas burner; and honestly unless you're pulling a load for a living, diesel engines aren't needed. But some folks just have to have the biggest most powerful engine to satisfy their ego or whatever. I understand that, and don't get me wrong I'm not bashing anyone...that's just the way some folks are. BUT the thing about the diesel engine is resale. A gas burner is going to resale for a LOT less than a diesel will, and I mean a LOT less. Out here, my exact truck with a V10 gas is going for around $4500 with similar mileage. Diesels are going for around 10,000. That should tell you something right there.

Ford vs chevy. IF you get the chevy, make sure the warranty is good on the engine. We have an 07 at work (shop truck) with 127,000 miles on it as of today. It's had all 8 injectors replaced, high pressure pump, alternator, transmission twice (Allison which is supposed to be "bulletproof"), wiring harnesses, 2 glow plugs, fuel line failed at one point while I was driving it, 3 sets of brake pads. That's all I can think of right now. The turbo vanes are sticking so we may end up having to replace that ($4000) in the forseeable future. Batteries are 2 years old (Delco OE replacement) and they're nearing end of life (slow to crank). We've put almost $13,000 into the truck in repairs...more than it's currently worth. We will not buy another Duramax. It is the most uncomfortable, worst riding and UGLIEST 1 ton I have ever driven. When you first sit down in the seat, it feels good. After about 10 minutes, I find myself trying to move around to a different spot to get comfortable, and I can't. Not much leg room. Transmission can't figure out what gear it want's to be in. I'm 6'5 so I need leg room. The A/C only works sometimes; sometimes it's going nice and cold, and a minute later you're burning up, then it's back to cold again in maybe a minute, sometimes 30 minutes. This one does not have DEF. I like how quiet it is, and it's got power, but it's also come at a cost. Prior to this we used a 2003 F350, 7.3 auto. Had it since new, put 118,000 miles on it. Alternator was installed at 43,000 miles and a wheel / hub bearing failed at 93,000. Those were the only two issues we ever had. OH I forgot about the glow plug relay too, which I personally did mysel using a Stancor relay; thinking that we were keeping the truck. Boss sold it and bought the Durmajunk thinking that the old 7.3 was getting some miles on it. Wish we'd have kept it honestly.

Dodge, you buy an engine and get a piece of truck with it. I have not been happy with Dodge (now Fiat) trucks in many years, other than the engine...and even then, I haven't been all that impressed with them. At one point I worked for a wrecker service and we had 2 06 Dodges and 2 06 F350 wreckers. All the same trucks but different brands. The Ford's would run off and hide from the Dodge's. Wasn't even close. I didn't care for the inline 6's slight vibration at low speeds either; but that's personal preference. Some enjoy it but if it was my truck, I don't know if I could get used to it. Also on the inline 6 cylinder, they aren't real powerful unless the pipes are packed (turbo is making boost). That's one reason they went to a VGT turbo, so that you get boost right off idle and retain some top end power. Ford did it too on the 6.0's; and it works good but I felt that the 6.0 had more power. I am aware of the 6.0 and it's "problems", but honestly they're better engines than people give them credit for. They got a bad rap from the early 2003's; as well as those who run the poo out of them and never maintain them. We never had a minutes' problem in 243,000 miles, at least that's what one of the wreckers had when I quit that job. I think the other one was closer to 200k. The dodges had around the same mileage give or take a few. The owner of the company wouldn't buy the GM trucks because of the expense to repair them. At one point GM (or Isuzu) extended the warranty on the injectors to 200k miles but that was only for personal use as I understood it. If it were to be used as a commercial truck, it carried the normal commercial warranty, which applied to wreckers. May have changed since then. That was in 2009 when I quit. The injectors for our current shop truck ended up about $600 EACH, plus a ton of labor to disassemble half of the top of the engine to get to them. Could have gotten them cheaper elsewhere but also takes longer and we'd still have to pay someone to put 'em in. I'm done with GM products after this deal with the shop truck. We are going to replace it and I am pretty sure the boss has decided to get a Ford this time, and likely a gas burner. I don't blame him, not one bit.

As a personal, non-commercial owner, I would also get a gas burner. And I'd also get a Ford. Ford perfected the overhead cam rather than trying to use the cam-in-block design and then adding variable valve timing to it....those GM engines use oil, it's considered normal. One of my coworkers has one and at the 7500 mi interval, it's down about 3 quarts. GM won't do anything about it, saying it's considered "normal". My dad's got a 5.4 powered 3/4 ton and I honestly believe it's got almost as much power as my 7.3 does. I'm impressed with it, highly impressed. It's towing fuel economy isn't great (about 11 mpg) but my diesel's MPG towing is 12.5, so there's not a big enough difference to justify the extra costs. Unloaded, he's seeing 15 mpg. Mine's mid 18 range and fuel costs more; so it evens out.

car compulsive

Jun 25, 2015
MI
I have a '16 4x4 Ram 1500 crewcab Longhorn (like the Ford King Ranch) with the RamBoxes (very handy, but lose bed width), and the 3.0L Ecodiesel. I have about 48K miles on the truck and the only issue has been cracks in the Rambox covers near the locks (replaced under warranty). I drive about 85% freeway miles with a commute of 40+ miles each way and average just over 25 MPG measured with Fuelly. I was leery about Ram's quality reputation and reported issues with the little Ecodiesel, but the truck has been just right for my needs. I'm hoping it lasts about 6 more years until I retire. Then I'll be driving a lot less miles and more trips in town, so I'll switch to a gas powered truck.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I have a '16 4x4 Ram 1500 crewcab Longhorn (like the Ford King Ranch) with the RamBoxes (very handy, but lose bed width), and the 3.0L Ecodiesel.

How does Fiat, or Chrysler handle the 100k mile warranty? Do they require a 50k mile service in order for you to maintain that 100k mile warranty? A friend had an '09 Ram 2500 diesel, brand new, put I think 57k miles on it and he took it in for a switch in the dash. They fixed it and charged him, said since he didnt' have the 50,000 mile service done that his "bumper to bumper 100,000 mi warranty" expired at 50,000. I never heard of it. He questioned the 50,000 mile service and was told that the cost to do it was around $1000.

Could have been a shady service department, dunno, that's why I asked.

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Hey Kubotaman, have you purchased a new toy, 'er truck, yet?

car compulsive

Jun 25, 2015
MI
How does Fiat, or Chrysler handle the 100k mile warranty? Do they require a 50k mile service in order for you to maintain that 100k mile warranty? A friend had an '09 Ram 2500 diesel, brand new, put I think 57k miles on it and he took it in for a switch in the dash. They fixed it and charged him, said since he didnt' have the 50,000 mile service done that his "bumper to bumper 100,000 mi warranty" expired at 50,000. I never heard of it. He questioned the 50,000 mile service and was told that the cost to do it was around $1000.

Could have been a shady service department, dunno, that's why I asked.
You got my curiosity up and I checked the owner's manual. Nothing special about the 50K service, but the 60K service has a number of extra items. It should be due for its next oil change at about 57K, so I'll probably have them do the 60K service items. The expensive items are the suspicious dealer recommended services at various miles.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Last truck was a 2001 F250 7.3L diesel, kept it 10 years before selling it. Only thing I replaced other than fluids and filters was the belt and water pump and it took about 2 hours at most. Sold it with 150k on it. Currently driving a 2011 F250 6.7L diesel with 97k on it. So far only fluids and filters but will replace the belt soon. So far no complaints on the 7.3L or 6.7L but the 6.0L and 6.4L diesels were a nightmare. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the diesels from the big 3, pick the one you like and go with it. I stick to the Fords because I have a really good and trustworthy dealer and probably stay with them until I have reason not to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro