Traveller (TSC) 80W-90 gear oil

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
My bad.

So just to be clear are you telling us the bevel gear failure was caused by the use of UDT and would not have occured with a conventional gear oil?

Dan
No sir. That's not what I'm saying at all.

I replaced bevel gear components on that machine (2006 BX23) because I had quite a bit of slop in the bevel gear parts and it was starting to leak some axle fluid. You could rock the wheel vertically (like checking ball joints) and feel the clunk/slop. I used that machine pretty hard (landscaping business).

My issue is with the UDT leaking after the surgery (new parts and all new seals). The leaks stopped after switching to gear oil for me.

If you take a look here and on another "tractorby..." forum, you'll find its been a pretty common problem (at least with BX machines). The consensus was that the UDT oil is simply too "thin".

I'm not telling anyone what to use, I'm only relaying my first hand experience with that issue. I'm not having a problem with my B2650. Changing the axle fluid was simply a maintenance item. The history with my BX is stuck in my head.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Local Kubota dealer recommended changing to gear oil on new tractor service. Used gear oil when repairing leaky front axle seals on an older tractor.

It takes a while for new oil to work thru the hub bearings. Topped up several times over several days. Wasn’t using it. Finally reach the book fill amount. One reason switched to synthetic 80-90 gear lube. Do like the newer tractors that have a dipsticks.