Tooth Bars??

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Measure carefully, though, because you get one bolt for each side that's BARELY long enough to start the threads on the nut. If you give them dimensions a little too short, you're gonna have fun getting those bolts put in. I'm probably going to replace the bolts on mine with some Grade 8's about 1/4" longer when/if I take the bar off for any reason.
All 11 bolts on my tooth bar lined up perfectly with the holes in the bucket, and the hardware provided was all Grade 8. These are some of the reasons I was happy to pay $160 more for the EA. I'm sure the BX is a good bar too and will serve most users very well.

Why,. dealer should have the dimensions of the bucket.If not, call Kubota,they HAVE to have a drawing 'somewhere' witht he dimensions on it....
I can't see how/why the dimns wouild be different within the same series of buckets. After all they gotta FIT the loaders....
Look at the difference between the hardware that Kubota uses vs. that provided by EA. Kubota isn't that confident in the bolt on cutting edge lining up with the holes in the bucket but EA nailed all 11 holes. Do you know how hard that is to do?

Kubota hardware

tooth_bar_8.jpg

EA hardware

tooth_bar_7.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
All 11 bolts on my tooth bar lined up perfectly with the holes in the bucket, and the hardware provided was all Grade 8. These are some of the reasons I was happy to pay $160 more for the EA. I'm sure the BX is a good bar too and will serve most users very well.

Look at the difference between the hardware that Kubota uses vs. that provided by EA. Kubota isn't that confident in the bolt on cutting edge lining up with the holes in the bucket but EA nailed all 11 holes. Do you know how hard that is to do?

Kubota hardware

View attachment 65385

EA hardware

View attachment 65386
I got the two bolt version with the hooks that go over the edge. I would have preferred what you have, but didn't see that as an option last December.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The Piranha is a good bar. I'm happy with mine. It'll add a ton of strength to the lip of the bucket as well as drastically improve the aggressiveness and usability. I dug a little with my bucket with the factory edge, and it would stop the tractor on the smallest of roots if they were dense, or if I was trying to use the whole bucket width. It simply wouldn't dig. Add one Piranha, and bingo, it slices through root 2-3 inches in diameter, pushes small rocks out of the way (into the bucket) rather than stalling the bucket, and makes the bucket so much more useful than just an overgrown wheel barrow.

Word of caution, get in the habit VERY quickly of putting that bar flat on the floor/ground any time you are not using it. Those teeth are extremely sharp. I don't think I'll wear mine out in my lifetime.
I agree wholeheartedly!

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL

Kubota hardware

View attachment 65385

EA hardware

View attachment 65386
I know exactly how hard it is. Try aligning the stator on a 21000 HP electric motor or an MG set with 1 motor and 6 generators. The first time is the tricky one, but then you drill the feet and put dowels in them for future maintenance.

Those holes in the bucket will have been made by a CNC machine, and will be very accurately spaced. EA knows that, and duplicates it. If I had it to do again, I'd probably go with the EA bar, but I liked the edge of the Piranha better, and like I said, no one seemed to be offering one that just bolted on using the existing holes. Probably didn't hurt that the Piranha was on sale for about $300 cheaper than the EA at the time. My bucket only has 7 holes, so it would have been even easier. Not sure why BX doesn't use that method. I'm sure there's engineers saying it's the best. If you want 5 ONLY ways to do something, just ask 5 engineers.

The only negative thing I can think of with Grade 8 bolts being subjected to everything the bucket digs up is that if they seize/rust, and you ever need to get that bar off for any reason, that's gonna be a tough job without damaging the bucket or the bar. I guess you could cut/grind the heads off on the underside, though. Are the bolt heads recessed into the bar, or do they stick out? Not that it makes any difference, just curious. I like the attachment method, certainly better than the two-bolt method. But that too has it's advantage that the bolt threads are not likely to be damaged (as much) on the side as they are on the edge of the bucket, especially if you're handling riprap.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
USA
the only reason I wouldn't buy a bar from EA would be the wait time, what are they at now, 6 months? Even though bxpanded takes a while its still less time than EA, and is every bit as useful.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
USA
I just emailed them to ask how the order was moving, since it updated to 'in process'. she replied in less than 30 minutes, should be here in a week. So that's about 5 weeks, not too bad. EA sets the delivery bar really low, so any retailer delivering stuff in less than 6 months looks like a real winner! :ROFLMAO:

I ordered the bar before receiving the tractor. I asked two friends what their measurements were and measured one at my local dealer. Averaged them, and placed the order. When the machine arrived, I confirmed it was the correct measurement, wish I had ordered a few weeks sooner but it is what it is. Their products have always been worth the wait and they have good service each time I reach out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
My ONLY beef with the BX brand was insufficient packaging. That isn't a reflection on the quality of the bar, but more so on the post sale customer care side. That issue is more than offset by quicker delivery, though. I think I got mine in about 2 or 3 weeks, but I've slept twice since then. My LX would look odd to me without it now. Between the underrated packaging, and FredEx handling techniques, the box was pretty much pulp when it got here, and I sustained some pretty significant damage to my front porch because the idiot delivery guy put it up on the porch from the second step with the teeth turned down. FredEx wound up paying the claim, though, so I wasn't totally put out. Another difference is that BX did not charge my card for it until it shipped, unlike EA where you must pay for everything in advance. That's one thing that has deterred me from buying EA products. I'm not saying others should follow suit, but I am stating one of the measurements I made for my decision. I looked at a lotta brands and a lotta designs before I bought mine.

D

Deleted member 47704

My ONLY beef with the BX brand was insufficient packaging. That isn't a reflection on the quality of the bar, but more so on the post sale customer care side. That issue is more than offset by quicker delivery, though. I think I got mine in about 2 or 3 weeks, but I've slept twice since then. My LX would look odd to me without it now. Between the underrated packaging, and FredEx handling techniques, the box was pretty much pulp when it got here, and I sustained some pretty significant damage to my front porch because the idiot delivery guy put it up on the porch from the second step with the teeth turned down. FredEx wound up paying the claim, though, so I wasn't totally put out. Another difference is that BX did not charge my card for it until it shipped, unlike EA where you must pay for everything in advance. That's one thing that has deterred me from buying EA products. I'm not saying others should follow suit, but I am stating one of the measurements I made for my decision. I looked at a lotta brands and a lotta designs before I bought mine.
I'm sure the quality is good. But if they are busy with orders and are behind they should say so, not blame the virus.

I read the BBB complaints on BX, they were doing the same thing EA is doing.
Companies are claiming covid layoffs for federal money and their former employees are getting extra money from the feds, that gravy train ends Sept 4.You will see many of these outfits that have slow deliveries suddenly start shipping.

There is no labor shortage, there is a excess of lazy asses that don't want to work.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If I owned a company that was requiring a 12 week lead time for production of a non critical dimensional part, I would put on an extra shift to get caught up, or at least offer the employees overtime to take the pressure off of the sales people. Can you imagine if Kubota said it will take 12 weeks to get you a snow plow or a snow blower? My opinion is that the management teams of these small business, need to step aside, and bring in some professionals that know how to get things done quickly without sacrificing quality. They are making non mechanical parts, not microchips.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
If I owned a company that was requiring a 12 week lead time for production of a non critical dimensional part, I would put on an extra shift to get caught up, or at least offer the employees overtime to take the pressure off of the sales people. Can you imagine if Kubota said it will take 12 weeks to get you a snow plow or a snow blower? My opinion is that the management teams of these small business, need to step aside, and bring in some professionals that know how to get things done quickly without sacrificing quality. They are making non mechanical parts, not microchips.
Dusty - - don't disagree with your sentiments...but:

I would put on an extra shift to get caught up....

Many businesses can't hire help as it is.

How do you add a shift??? Do you add $2, $5 or $10 to the "normal" hourly rate?

How does that affect the bottom line? Does it mean your product now costs 30, 40 or 50% more....how does that affect your clientele?

Do you realize the the cost of employees with benefit requirements (worker's comp, disability, health coverage), payroll taxes, etc?

We've forgotten about Obamacare, but many of the benefit requirements still exist. The penalties are staggering. It is phased by employer size, but my point is there are many implications.

management teams of these small business need to step aside

This I can't agree with. "Small" business usually means the "management team" is the owner, sometimes the spouse, a key person or two, followed by the rank-and-file production workers. The Management Team are often working foremen, so to speak.

How can a small business relinquish the responsibility of the business to "professionals"?

"Professionals" will demand substantial salaries. How does that work while still turning a profit so the owners can sustain themselves?

Like you, I've never owned a small business. Many folks here on OTT do own businesses.

As a youngster I ran several businesses for my employer. It was the food service industry.

I was always mindful of costs. I was actually more business-minded than my boss, although he was very successful and had been in the business for decades.

I actually looked into buying the businesses and real estate associated, but didn't pursue it.

My only point is that it's never that simple when you're dealing with a small business. I've never forgotten those lessons I learned many years ago.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
And, I would think, demand for these items goes down substantially in the winter months. If a company hired more people, they might find themselves with an over abundance of employees that they would either have to continue to pay or let go.

We're certainly in crazy times right now. and I would think many companies are trying to figure things out as best they can and don't want to stray too far on what has worked for them to date.

D

Deleted member 47704

You build inventory for stock items in the slow months.
You hire part time or temps to help with demand.
You can get rid of temps and part timers easy enough and don't have the benefit load.
Retirees are often an untapped source of labor.
We had a long running job and needed a CNC lathe operator. We got 2 part time retirees, one for 4 hours in the morning and one for 4 hours afterward. we got 8 hours of production per day with no benefit cost,they didn't demand a lot of money, they mostly wanted to do something. Worked out great.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I nearly said what Old Bob said, but was a little more polite about it.

We must think a lot alike, maybe because we both have the same first name. OLD. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 47704

I nearly said what Old Bob said, but was a little more polite about it.

We must think a lot alike, maybe because we both have the same first name. OLD. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I don't mince words.
Old, yup.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
You build inventory for stock items in the slow months.
This day and age, companies are taxed on their inventory, and when every penny counts to keep the owners and shareholders (if there are any) happy with profits, can't be spending profits on taxes.
You hire part time or temps to help with demand.
This is an excellent idea, and is exactly how I got my first full-time job while I was still in college. I worked a summer in pool construction, and picked up maintenance the following year. They figured out they didn't need to pay for electricians with me around, so the put me on full time. I stayed with 'em until I finished college and they accommodated my college schedule willingly because I was saving them some pretty big costs for electrical contractors.
You can get rid of temps and part timers easy enough and don't have the benefit load.
This is the part I'm gonna disagree with, but if you do it with the option of having them back the following season, it makes it easier for them to guarantee themselves a job year round if they have other seasonal work they can pick up. You've got to give workers some loyalty if you expect a quality product to be produced. In addition, this opens a job market for college students that may go home for the summer or want to stay put and work locally where they can attend summer classes too. It worked very well for me.
Retirees are often an untapped source of labor.
I dunno about others, but I've had my turn. Time to let the youngsters figure some of it out. They've already figured out how to pump the pooch, but that pooch is growling and somebody gonna get bit hard in some soft places real soon. Not everyone has had the opportunity to save for retirement the way I have, but I've been stingy all my life with this process in mind. I can retire, but didn't really want to until I'm 100% SS eligible. Either that, or get my doctors and LT Disability Insurance to slap SS upside the head and get me medically retired. Then I'm immediately Medicare/Medicaid eligible, and only have to worry about medical coverage for the missus (for another 12 years).

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I don't mince words.
Old, yup.
I don't normally mince words either. I was told I was abrasive at work. That's the pansy a$$ workplace that used to be a great place to work has turned into. HR folks cringe when they get me in a meeting or call me. Everybody is too sensitive these days. Saying what I think is probably one of the reasons my employer wants to push this old dinosaur out the door.

D

Deleted member 47704

I don't normally mince words either. I was told I was abrasive at work. That's the pansy a$$ workplace that used to be a great place to work has turned into. HR folks cringe when they get me in a meeting or call me. Everybody is too sensitive these days. Saying what I think is probably one of the reasons my employer wants to push this old dinosaur out the door.
I'm not abrasive, but I don't apologize or sugar coat things. I'm not a baby sitter, I expect people to show up on time, conduct themselves in a professional manner, do their job.
Since I've been there customers have noticed an improvement in quality, faster deliveries. Internally more efficient production and assembly. All of which adds to the bottom line.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Do you know how hard that is to do?

I didn't have any problems drilling the 7 holes(5/8"D+) for my BX23S toothbar, using a benchtop Chinese made drillpress'. As for the bolts Kubota supplied, you do need some clearance. You can't put a 5/8" bolt into a 5/8" hole.