The Other Tractors

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Well, I thought I would add my old tractor to the thread. This is a picture I took the day my Kubota was delivered. The other tractor is a Ford 2000 gas. I took it to a friend's farm about a month ago to use during hay season. He went to use it the other day and now the clutch won't release. The clutch isn't more than three years old. Good things I have a new tractor.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Got a late start on it today as I needed to firm up some detail on the Ferguson.
But here is after day 2
Gave it a minor cleanup and removed all the old loader frame. :D

Attachments

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I have a 1952 cockshutt 40. Great machine for piling snow and forking wood. The loader needs a rebuild and a few seals need to be renewed. A handy machine, but you need a lot of room to turn it around. No picture handy.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Man, those old 8N's and their kindred. Can't throw a rock without hitting one. That was one popular family of tractors.

I've posted pictures of my other tractor, 1958 Allis-Chalmers D17 Diesel (Buda 262 engine) that came from the factory with Wagner Iron Works front loader and backhoe on it. She runs fine but needs ether to start. Beat to heck but I have it in my head to bring her back up to full working condition and refit her to work even better. It's a tough machine...

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Man, those old 8N's and their kindred. Can't throw a rock without hitting one. That was one popular family of tractors.

I've posted pictures of my other tractor, 1958 Allis-Chalmers D17 Diesel (Buda 262 engine) that came from the factory with Wagner Iron Works front loader and backhoe on it. She runs fine but needs ether to start. Beat to heck but I have it in my head to bring her back up to full working condition and refit her to work even better. It's a tough machine...

Funny you mentioned the loader and hoe, my loader is cockshutt/wagner. Flimys but does the job.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have never seen anyone turn the hubs around like that to set the wheels that wide.

On those series of tractors - including the fords 8n - there was about 8 different ways to set the tires!! IN - out - somewhere in between!

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Corney,
Nope, no extensions, just rims and hubs set out, they are at 72" right now, can go one more step to make it even wider! :eek:

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
This is a gee whiz I've never seen that before, wish I had a camera, what are those tractors called?

They are building a new expanded Speedway near a business I go to about twice a week, and so have been watching the construction. The company doing the construction has an almost infinite stable of heavy and light pieces of equipment, and the ones in use change by the minute. Besides all the usual dozers, backhoes etc, there are ones that articulate in the middle and apparently both ends steer, and the biggest rototiller device I've ever seen, the guy drove over construction debris, clods, mud, lumps rock etc, and what came out was like flour. Then another big heavy roller device could compact it. Tiny micro track hoes, and today a giant one poised over a drainage swale hundreds of feet deep and wide, and I'd really like to see how he got back to the other side. The oddest so far was a device into which a cement mixer unloaded cement, and which went along very slowly and out the back end came a gutter curbing laid down perfectly shaped, just like you'd pipe frosting on a cake. No forms no nothing. Amazing!

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
The big mixer is called a roto mixer if I am reading your description right.

The other machine is a concrete slip former. Usually made by Gomaco so we call them Gomaco's in our industry. We use the to do curb and gutter, sidewalks with curb and gutter all in one pull. We have done up to 2 m (7') sidewalks. We also have a Gomaco that paves concrete roads at one lane at a time.

Gomaco's are made in the states and are an industry standard that has yet to be matched.

I have been in road building, asphalt and concrete paving for over 30 years.

I too love big iron!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
So does the cement mix that goes into the Gomaco have a plasticizer or something different about it so it doesn't run after the Gomaco puts it down?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's all in the mix of the concrete, some additives, but basically just a lot less water. ;)

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Funny you mentioned the loader and hoe, my loader is cockshutt/wagner. Flimys but does the job.
Most of the Wagner loaders were only light duty 'farm quality'. What's on the D-17 there is their largest loader/hoe combo they ever built (at least from my research) and it rated at medium duty. I still find Wagner's on 8n's and such.

What's interesting is they are still in business. They don't do loaders any more and haven't for many decades but they do have some of their old manuals on line and even some shots of their old logos so you can make replacement emblems and such.

Being generic units, you can pretty much repair them with a welder and off the shelf hydraulics.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Did some more work to the Transformer Freguson TO-20

This is a few days ago, and I'll post more recent ones in the morning.

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
North Idaho Wolfman, that looks like a different tractor! How much time did it take to get it ready for the paint?

When is the remainder of the 'transformer act" going to take place?