Snow chains…do I need them?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I've used chains for many years. Rear only on my BX, but I do have a set for the fronts I haven't used (yet).

Stone driveway that isn't very big but has some slope to the apron to the road. Can get icey, although I do sand it regularly.

Some winters not needed.

However, we've had many snowstorms of 18-36" hit us where I couldn't push the front snowblower hard enough without chains. Tractor would break traction with chains on.

Like others said - - it's cheap insurance.

You don't want to wake up to 36" of snow on the ground and decide you should put chains on.......(this storm was forecast at 12-18, and we got 35" between 8PM and 5AM)

That’s a Chevy Silverado buried under the snow.

IMG_3762_Original.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in Profile-About)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
I have a concrete driveway that ices up during Wisconsin winters due to runoff and a BX2370. I understand I should run turf tires for the best traction, and likely will need chains for not sliding off areas of the drive.

Where can I purchase chains?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I've used chains for many years. Rear only on my BX, but I do have a set for the fronts I haven't used (yet).

Stone driveway that isn't very big but has some slope to the apron to the road. Can get icey, although I do sand it regularly.

Some winters not needed.

However, we've had many snowstorms of 18-36" hit us where I couldn't push the front snowblower hard enough without chains. Tractor would break traction with chains on.

You don't want to wake up to 36" of snow on the ground and decide you should put chains on.......(this storm was forecast at 12-18, and we got 35" between 8PM and 5AM)

View attachment 139582
Wow! That Silverado must have one hell of a butterfly intake / bird catcher under there. 🥶

• Haha

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Wow! That Silverado must have one hell of a butterfly intake / bird catcher under there. 🥶
Yeah - - that one was a surprise. Seems like it was very early December. We've had a couple Blizzards on March 14, but don't think it was one of those.

For the OP - - I don't know the first thing about Colorado weather and how much snow you get.

I'm in Upstate New York, and we can get clobbered but not nearly as much as @Tughill Tom.

The wheelwell/fender clearance on a BX is pretty tight. Many folks choose to put spacers on the wheels to give a little more room.

I don't have spacers, but have been okay if I keep the chains tight and cheat them a little to the outside of the wheel.

IMG_5411.jpeg

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have a concrete driveway that ices up during Wisconsin winters due to runoff and a BX2370. I understand I should run turf tires for the best traction, and likely will need chains for not sliding off areas of the drive.

Haven't used them myself, but many have and recommend them. I've shopped their site several times.

Tire Chains-Best Snow Chains-TireChains.com

I actually bought mine from a local hardware store that ordered them in from an unknown source.

Reactions: 1 user

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
First day no chains needed, this is the 2nd day of 30", icy and snow compacted down to 24", needed full chains, just free semi-truck chains I worked to fit my tractor, worked great.
IMG_5368.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
First day no chains needed, this is the 2nd day of 30", icy and snow compacted down to 24", needed full chains, just free semi-truck chains I worked to fit my tractor, worked great. View attachment 139585
And that's an L47. Pretty stout TLB with the BH off in favor of the rear blade.

The OP is looking to push snow with his BX TLB loader bucket also.

I'm not familiar with his snow amounts, but that looks like a great reason to get chains! ;)

TerryKing

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST-D
Aug 18, 2024
Topsham, Vermont USA
arduinoinfo.mywikis.net

Best prices recently were at Amazon. We have Prime = Free Shipping.
Like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MTJ4T6K/

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880 with loader, mower and 3 point
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Not fond of chains as they eat into the rubber. But at times I supposed they work out. When I had my rig, bought the cables instead, which saved my bacon a few times.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Really? That's about 1/3 the price of what I saw when shopping this week.
Well, you don’t have a BX23 like the OP does, which is who I was replying to. Of course chains for your LX3310 are going to cost a lot more.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY

Some winters not needed.

View attachment 139582
Up here well that a Dusting........LOL:)

• Haha

unhdsm

Equipment
B7500
Jan 9, 2024
Bradford, VT
Hi, I'm over in West Topsham with a B7100HST. What tires are you running? I have Turf. About to get chains I think. Have short but 15 degrees driveway. Will be first Winter with this tractor.. Thanks!
Probably 10 min away in Bradford. I have R4 tires. My chains came in last week so I should be ready this year. I actually did get them from TireChain.com on Amazon.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You guys talking about the amount of snow and need for chains..... You get more snow in one event then we get in 10 years. Myself and a neighbor run up and down the county road clearing everyone's driveway, and both of us have R4's....never a problem.

I do have highly modified tread design though, which does help!! ;);)

L4240 front tires grooved 006.jpg

Attachments

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Tirechains.com is the go to place for tire chains.

More information about chains than you will ever want to read.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Yeah - - that one was a surprise. Seems like it was very early December. We've had a couple Blizzards on March 14, but don't think it was one of those.

For the OP - - I don't know the first thing about Colorado weather and how much snow you get.

I'm in Upstate New York, and we can get clobbered but not nearly as much as @Tughill Tom.

The wheelwell/fender clearance on a BX is pretty tight. Many folks choose to put spacers on the wheels to give a little more room.

I don't have spacers, but have been okay if I keep the chains tight and cheat them a little to the outside of the wheel.

View attachment 139584
I've purchased multiple sets of two-link ladder chains similar to the ones on your tractor from tirechains.com for various tractors and found all to be well made and reasonably priced.

Two-link ladder chains ride and grip much better than the less expensive four-link ladder chains and are suitable for most applications.

Of course, tire chains are sold to fit multiple tire sizes, and it is usually necessary (and certainly advisable) to fit a new set to a specific tire size. Few people take the time to do this resulting in poor fitment and the need for otherwise unnecessary accessories to keep the chains in place.

Properly fitted and installed, tire chains will remain in place without the need for tensioners, bungees, etc.

Clevus

Equipment
Ko Buddha
Oct 23, 2021
NW Michigan
Turf tires perform better than R4s or R1s in snow and probably better than R14s but I have no experience with R14s.

Tractors are not designed for snow.
I keep hearing that.
I recently upgraded to a B2601 with turf tires. I thought I wanted to look for an R4 swap, but the local experts tell me Turfs are better in the sno.