Rust cancer treatments ???

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Daren,

I'm glad it worked out for you, and thank you for sharing. Too bad I couldn't use this process on my house to remove the old peeling paint! :p

Markw

Jan 22, 2016
Houston
I would use an automotive paint sander "DA" and sand as much as you can. Sandblast the rest. I would also use Ospho for any light remaining rust and your ready to prime and paint.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
How did you keep the process of electrolysis going on from attacking the bucket heater?

did you measure the rise in temperature? I have one of those and attempted to use it to warm bathtub water while my hot water heater was out. Came to the conclusion it would have taken 24hrs at least to get bath warm water.

As long as it doesn't touch the piece that was grounded, or the positive lead, it won't attack the heater.

I didn't measure the temp increase.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Pulled the plug on the hood. Gonna hit the last stubborn spots with some paint stripper and call it good :D Put the handles in the tank to pull the coating off them. Then it's just a matter of prepping and painting :rolleyes:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
(PSSSST! Guys... whaddya wanna bet Daren can't stop with the hood and fenders? Next will be rims and a motor/tranny "touch up!!! :))

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
(PSSSST! Guys... whaddya wanna bet Daren can't stop with the hood and fenders? Next will be rims and a motor/tranny "touch up!!! :))
I dont know. ......his wife might place the noose around his neck .....

"honey, I want all that crap out of the floor - I am tired of looking at tractor parts!"

then again - she might be the one doing the painting!!!!:D:)

I do want to see the finished project!:)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
All the blue is gonna get a touch up :p back tires need to be pulled so the hubs can get painted. Course while they are off, the rims will get a good buffing and painted to match the fenders ;) Actually finishing off the project with a set of hodge's stabilizers :D

There might be a new seat in the near future as well :eek::p:D

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Been rebuilding/repairing an old 1960 era Sears horizontal band saw. Besides being abused & missing a lot of parts, it had been stored outside for years. The saw came with a couple blades which did not appear to have much (if any) use on them, unfortunately they were pretty rusty. Seemed like a good time to try this electrolysis rust removal process.
Used an old plastic tub, 4-5gals hot water, 4 heaping tablespoons of A&H washing soda, battery charger @12v & 10a, 4-5 hrs, flipping the blade a couple times. Pics show before, during, the cathode after 2 hrs, and the results.

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Lil foot, those baby's look brand new!!!

It worked great for removing the rust off the fenders and hood. I've been trying to use the process to remove paint as well with mixed results.

I keep forgetting I have the side covers for the motor to drop into the tank and try as well :rolleyes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
All the blue is gonna get a touch up :p back tires need to be pulled so the hubs can get painted. Course while they are off, the rims will get a good buffing and painted to match the fenders ;) Actually finishing off the project with a set of hodge's stabilizers :D

There might be a new seat in the near future as well :eek::p:D
Your getting closer to my last post... still need new tires and refurbished steering wheel to look new...I know armour all, but do you really want synthetic shine on "your tractor". How about raised orange lettering on the side walls...:D:D How about a little help here CaveCreekRay or skeets...;)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Your getting closer to my last post... still need new tires and refurbished steering wheel to look new...I know armour all, but do you really want synthetic shine on "your tractor". How about raised orange lettering on the side walls...:D:D How about a little help here CaveCreekRay or skeets...;)
Still waiting on ya to drive down here and pitch in :p:p

It's gonna get the bull horns replaced with a custom push bumper as well. New hazard lights, and a work light for the back. Gonna buck up and put some better head lights on it also. :rolleyes: gotta run the wiring for the work light, and tie it into the hi beam in the key switch. So the headlights and work lights are on at the same time :D

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Still waiting on ya to drive down here and pitch in :p:p

It's gonna get the bull horns replaced with a custom push bumper as well. New hazard lights, and a work light for the back. Gonna buck up and put some better head lights on it also. :rolleyes: gotta run the wiring for the work light, and tie it into the hi beam in the key switch. So the headlights and work lights are on at the same time :D
I would be on my way, but the idiot who is supposed to plow the shared road up here didn't show up, and like always has a mile long sob story.:( When I went for the mail I found 3 ft drifts. Luckily I got through a narrow opening with the BX and got the mail which just happened to include my new tire chains.:D How is that for planning they arrived on the day I just happened to need them.;) The truck and suv were not going to fit through where the tractor passed so we were snowed in. Went back home, put on the chains and cleared the 3 ft drifts.

Back to your tractor, it sounds like it is being dressed up to lead the Easter Parade.:cool:;):)

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
So, I have been sitting here quietly in the background watching this process,
and wondering, rust = good, paint = better, how about rusty chrome?

The rear fender handles are something I have been wondering how to "fix"?

Rear Handles.jpg

Left_566x800.jpg

Right_601x800.jpg

Any thoughts?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Lil foot, those baby's look brand new!!!
Even my wife was impressed! I hit them lightly with a soft stainless brush as a final clean, but it did not take anything off, just shined them up a little. This process will definitely go into my "bag of tricks".

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
So, I have been sitting here quietly in the background watching this process,
and wondering, rust = good, paint = better, how about rusty chrome?

The rear fender handles are something I have been wondering how to "fix"?

View attachment 20790

View attachment 20791

View attachment 20792

Any thoughts?
Mine are rusty too. Ran them through the tank, and it knocked some of the plating off. Getting impatient though :rolleyes: Gonna hit them with some 80 grit and paint them black :D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Bill, I will tell you how to clean rusty chrome. Sounds silly, but don't say anything until you try it.

Take some aluminum foil, wad it up in a ball (something like the size of a golf ball), dip the foil in some water. Rub wet foil over rusty chrome. It removes rust, just like that!

Cleaned many a chromed bicycle fenders this way.

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
Bill, I will tell you how to clean rusty chrome. Sounds silly, but don't say anything until you try it.

Take some aluminum foil, wad it up in a ball (something like the size of a golf ball), dip the foil in some water. Rub wet foil over rusty chrome. It removes rust, just like that!

Cleaned many a chromed bicycle fenders this way.
I will give that a try, but I was thinking more along the lines of removal,
then I could (cost dependent) have them re-chromed.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Getting closer to done. Been working on stripping the rest of the paint that has been stubborn.

Two pieces are done. :D The grill, and coolant access cover. The hood is almost done. Got just a couple of spots being stubborn.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456619123.850216.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456619136.964279.jpg

Gonna have to steam clean the hood to get all the crud out of the nooks and crannies.

Side covers are a work in progress. The small expanded metal in them makes it a chore.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456619242.874938.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456619019.479384.jpg

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Getting closer to done. Been working on stripping the rest of the paint that has been stubborn.

Two pieces are done. :D The grill, and coolant access cover. The hood is almost done. Got just a couple of spots being stubborn.

View attachment 20824

View attachment 20825

Gonna have to steam clean the hood to get all the crud out of the nooks and crannies.

Side covers are a work in progress. The small expanded metal in them makes it a chore.

View attachment 20826

View attachment 20823

I sandblased my screens, but then i have a large blast cabinet. Makes all kinds of ugly go away.