PTO shaft question with slip clutch

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
I got a quick hitch. Now one of my implements shafts is too short! :eek: What is some of my options, can I just get a longer PTO shaft and mount the slip clutch to that shaft or do i need to get another shaft with a slip clutch?

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
PTO shaft extenders introduce a lot of stress and leverage at the tractor end and are responsible for many broken output shafts. They also put your pivot point in a location that neither the tractor, nor the implement were designed for. Get a longer driveshaft. If you match the tube size and style, you can reuse your ends if they are not welded on.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
This is an example of a COMER pto shaft.

Remove roll pins 5 & 9 and the two shaft halves are free and replaceable.

Each brand of PTO shaft will have its own profile so a COMER will not fit another brand,

Dave

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
PTO shaft extenders introduce a lot of stress and leverage at the tractor end and are responsible for many broken output shafts. They also put your pivot point in a location that neither the tractor, nor the implement were designed for. Get a longer driveshaft. If you match the tube size and style, you can reuse your ends if they are not welded on.
Ramos thanks, I was thinking the same. I wanted to know what my options were.