post hole auger

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
There are 3 farm auctions coming up soon, and the thing I want (but probably don't really need) is a post hole auger.

I was wondering how big a unit my B7001 can handle well, both length and diameter. Any special point to watch for wear? Better to rent one for a few weeks?

There are the usual fence posts, plus my wife wants a few dozen trees to block the view of the neighbor's car graveyard.

Thanks

Stuart

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
There are 3 farm auctions coming up soon, and the thing I want (but probably don't really need) is a post hole auger.

I was wondering how big a unit my B7001 can handle well, both length and diameter. Any special point to watch for wear? Better to rent one for a few weeks?

There are the usual fence posts, plus my wife wants a few dozen trees to block the view of the neighbor's car graveyard.

Thanks

Stuart
Stuart,
I don't blame you for wanting an auger, even if you just drink beer and look at it :cool:

Here is a link to everythingattachments.com. Scroll down and there is some neat videos. Maybe you already know what they have but nice to watch anyway.

Scott

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hi Stuart. An auger is some thing I am interested in as well. I used a full size on my B7200 and it would drill like crazy, it just would not lift it out of the ground worth a hoot. Rookie mistake I know. Your tractor has more weight and more power than a B7200 so you may be OK. :D Dusty

digg71

Equipment
B3200 w/ FEL, Box Scraper, Post Hole Auger, 4' Rotary Cutter, Snowblower
Mar 7, 2010
Western N.Y.
I am in the same boat and looking for a nice auger myself. I think I have one I can borrow, not sure if that is an option for me still. A few years ago I built my significant other a small pole barn for her horses and borrowed one from a friend. I would rather buy my own. I am looking to put a pole addition on my stick bult garage this summer. I also still have a "temp" horse pasture fenced in, I would like to one by one replace the tee posts with wooden fence posts.

Jim

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
With a post hole auger for me anyway, (since I modify pretty much every piece of equipment I get) can be rusty or bent up as long as it has a good gear box. You can straighten and paint fer cheap but that gearbox is what makes the machine.:D Dusty

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
dusty you sound like I have made adapters for 2 of my pond scoops .I hate to see something laying around rusting away if I can get it for the right price and fix it. But a post hole auger would be very handy as long as your tractor will handle it ok. Stuart it would be nice if you could borrow or rent one to see what size would work for you. I would have to go to the farm auctions anyway. I like owning my own things especially tools and equip.handy

Durangogeek

Equipment
L2800HST, MacBook Pro 13, Cessna 182
Mar 16, 2010
Durango, CO
Where I live the soil is all clay. Because the three point has no downward pressure, an auger just spins on the surface and can't dig in. I have to rent a skid steer with an auger attachment to get the job done.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Where I live the soil is all clay. Because the three point has no downward pressure, an auger just spins on the surface and can't dig in. I have to rent a skid steer with an auger attachment to get the job done.
You bring up a really good point to consider. Perhaps rent a 3pt auger before purchase. Not just to get a fit of the tractor but to test if it will even work in the soil conditions.

Thanks Durango!

Scott

ptwyz

Equipment
BX2660, FEL, tiller, disc cultivator, tine cultivator, rear blade, MMM, & more!!
Jan 7, 2010
McCutchenville, Ohio, USA
You bring up a really good point to consider. Perhaps rent a 3pt auger before purchase. Not just to get a fit of the tractor but to test if it will even work in the soil conditions.

Thanks Durango!

Scott
On Land Pride post hole diggers, there is a "Down Pressure Kit" available which is basically a cylinder mounted on the arm of the digger. The Kool thing is, it will force the auger into the ground so that it can get a bite.

I will try to post a pic.

howald

Equipment
B7001
Apr 2, 2009
Fruitvale, BC, Canada
Hi Stuart,

Let me know what you find out. I'm in the same boat with my B7001 but I don't think I'll make it to any of the upcoming auctions. Let me know what you see there and maybe I'll have to make a trip further west.

Thanks,
Nick

CedarTree

Equipment
L355SS w/1720 loader
Dec 28, 2010
Quemado, NM
Reviving an old thread...

Can someone tell me how a 3-point, pto-powered auger stows if you leave them attached? Can you move the auger up into a "travel position"? I'd like to leave one attached all of the time but only if I can have it tucked up out of the way when I'm using my loader.

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
The special 'compact tractor' model from everythingattachments.com does stow fairly high - check out the video. I would put a chain on it similar to the holding chain on my rototiller (pics in my portfolio) so you don't have to worry about losing hydraulic pressure on the 3-point.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'd say take the auger off and put something heavier on the rear end if you plan on doing alot of front end loader work. Basically as a counter balance, plus with the auger up in the air all the time its going to be rather tall. You'll run the risk of breaking it or snapping off tree limbs and such.

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Vic brings up a good point- Raise the auger often.

Also, augers like to get stuck under any tree roots that are anywhere around your drilling location. I have had to dig mine out on occasion, NOT FUN.

My auger is a homemade one that fits the lift arms on my WD. It consists of two pieces of angle iron, an old car differential, (Plymouth, I think) and a 9" auger. Before I use it again, I am going to weld something on the sides of the bit to try to cut roots, I really don't want to have to dig it out again.

Robert

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
I strongly recomend anyone with a auger to build yourself an auger tree makes is so simple to hitch up ....Dan

Attachments

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Quicker and cheapier then that, drill a hole in the ground and sink a 12'' diameter pvc pipe in the gound and does the same thing alot cheaper!

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
yes but with the auger tree you dont have to lift any weight, maybe it works for you with a little tractor but not for me thanks anyway

asbug

Equipment
B7001 - looks orange to me... Woods 5' scrape, 42" rotary cutter, shreader/chip.
Feb 11, 2011
Varnell,GA - USA
Looks like all the B7001's are interested in the hole diggers.
I too was wondering about the downpressure...
Will keep an eye on this.
KC

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I run a standard size post hole digger behing my B6100. The PVC pipe in the ground was something I saw in a farming magazine article and it seems like a cheap easy way to store a post hole digger. For me I just drop the auger bit on the ground, back up and fold the bit underneath my auger and drop it. I reckon being a big dude I dont struggle putting it on and taking it off.