Portable gas cans

PoconoTom

Equipment
Kubota B2650 tractor, BH77 backhoe, LA534 front loader
Oct 2, 2013
White Haven, PA
I hear you! I had 2 cans from big box stores that leaked like crazy before they jammed up completely and went into the trash. With my son's advice, I bought a 5 gallon No Spill (that's the brand name!) diesel can from Amazon (about $35). With this can I can put 5 gallons of diesel in my tractor without spilling a drop (and barely smelling the fuel).

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I hear you! I had 2 cans from big box stores that leaked like crazy before they jammed up completely and went into the trash. With my son's advice, I bought a 5 gallon No Spill (that's the brand name!) diesel can from Amazon (about $35). With this can I can put 5 gallons of diesel in my tractor without spilling a drop (and barely smelling the fuel).
The cheap cans suck! I've modified a couple to work but still no good.

The No-Spill cans really are that good! I have two diesel and 2 gas right now.

I'm fixin to give my old cans to my brother and get a few more No Spill cans. :D

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
I can't see what you'll like about the "no spill " cans. The button is so hard to press and hold while the fuel is comeing out, very slowly, that I had to stop twice and relaxe my fingers with just 2 gallons of fuel. It takes one hand on the nozzle while pushing the button and only one hand to hold the rest of the jug. With 5 gallons in it, I couldn't do it. So,, I modified it. Cut the little green button off, pulled the air bleed out, stopped the hole up that the air bleed tube came thru and put an air bleed in the other side of the jug at the top. Now I have my kind of jug, flows fast.

zman8537

Equipment
Mowing, Snow Plowing, Hauling
Sep 8, 2013
Chicora, PA
So, nobody here has tried the 'No-Spill' brand ?
I have a couple of the No Spill brand gas cans, they are a little on the expensive side but they are the best ones that I have found. The O-ring sometimes comes out, but other than that I think they work pretty good!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Hey Z man ( I have to assume you got that name cause you got/had/ or collect the Z series , or ya got a Z 28) anyway, hows the new tractor? Did you get any pics yet common man lets see it,, ;)

zman8537

Equipment
Mowing, Snow Plowing, Hauling
Sep 8, 2013
Chicora, PA
Hey Z man ( I have to assume you got that name cause you got/had/ or collect the Z series , or ya got a Z 28) anyway, hows the new tractor? Did you get any pics yet common man lets see it,, ;)
Actually, my last name starts with "Z" so I got branded Zman from fellow employees and it just stuck.

Attachments

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I can't see what you'll like about the "no spill " cans. The button is so hard to press and hold while the fuel is comeing out, very slowly, that I had to stop twice and relaxe my fingers with just 2 gallons of fuel. It takes one hand on the nozzle while pushing the button and only one hand to hold the rest of the jug. With 5 gallons in it, I couldn't do it. So,, I modified it. Cut the little green button off, pulled the air bleed out, stopped the hole up that the air bleed tube came thru and put an air bleed in the other side of the jug at the top. Now I have my kind of jug, flows fast.
The No-Spill flows plenty fast for me and I have no problem holding the button down? The 5 gal can rest on the hood of my tractor until it gets down to 1/3 or so. I like em better than the old cans. :cool:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I cant remember the last can I bought,,, you would be surprised how many I find along the highways and along the interstate,, some are pretty well junk but others like brand new but for a few scrapes and bumps from blowing out of truck where some one has not tied them down. I have a yellow can I found about 2 weeks ago had to tie it to the bytch seat on the Harley and a blue one for kerso laying in the middle of the interstate still had a little kerso in it and not a mark,, Ya know what they say about one mans loss :D

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
The No-Spill flows plenty fast for me and I have no problem holding the button down? The 5 gal can rest on the hood of my tractor until it gets down to 1/3 or so. I like em better than the old cans. :cool:
To each his own, but I'll take the "old" cans over the new one all day.

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
All:

Isn't it amazing that the original purpose of the "no-spill" gas cans was to stop putting gasoline vapors into the atmosphere to save the penguins and caribou but instead, they leaked more vapors. Then there was the safety aspect, to not spill gas. However, they actually spill more gas!

Instead of realizing that this is the opposite of what the intention is/was, they just keep the stupid regulation in place.

If Andy Rooney did a piece on this, you'd see the reality of stupid at work. Thanks Uncle Stupid for duping all of us with these dangerous cans.

End of rant.

Burt

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
All:

Isn't it amazing that the original purpose of the "no-spill" gas cans was to stop putting gasoline vapors into the atmosphere to save the penguins and caribou but instead, they leaked more vapors. Then there was the safety aspect, to not spill gas. However, they actually spill more gas!

Instead of realizing that this is the opposite of what the intention is/was, they just keep the stupid regulation in place.

If Andy Rooney did a piece on this, you'd see the reality of stupid at work. Thanks Uncle Stupid for duping all of us with these dangerous cans.

End of rant.

Burt
The 'No Spill' brand cans do not leak at all.

But I agree if you are talking about the cheap cans. They are junk!

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
I just restored 3 fuel jugs with ez pour kits and I didnt use the included extensions on 2 of them so on my diesel jug I used the 2 extra ones.
Having a almost 3 foot long hose on that jug looks kind of strange but for filling the tractor with the fuel fill in the middle of the hood it really works great, I can set the can up on the loader arm and put the nozzle in the tank before tipping the can. No more funnel needed.

Fredhargis

Equipment
B2920, FEL, BH, MMM, tiller, grader, snowthrower
Jan 7, 2011
Waynesfield, OH
I put vents in mine, still not as good as the old ones, but a damn sight better. You also need to modify that useless spout. But on a few I went with the "redneck fuel vent"; that's just a tire valve put into the topside, near the back.
That really does look redneck, so I then stumbles across these. Drill a 1/2" hole (33/64" would be better) and put it in. In my case I had to hammer it lightly, it was a tight fit. Much more elegant!

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
I put vents in mine, still not as good as the old ones, but a damn sight better. You also need to modify that useless spout. But on a few I went with the "redneck fuel vent"; that's just a tire valve put into the topside, near the back.
That really does look redneck, so I then stumbles across these. Drill a 1/2" hole (33/64" would be better) and put it in. In my case I had to hammer it lightly, it was a tight fit. Much more elegant!
Thanks for posting the link, I ordered a few. Planning to add one to my no-spill can to make it drain faster. Am I going to mess anything up by doing that?

-- Carl

Fredhargis

Equipment
B2920, FEL, BH, MMM, tiller, grader, snowthrower
Jan 7, 2011
Waynesfield, OH
You just need to make sure when you drill the hole none of the swarf stays in the can. Be sure to check the diameter of the vent body f0r the correct size hole. Mine was 1/2" (I think) but it may be different, and the fit on mine was very tight....like I said I had to tap it in. Then I cut the end of the fill spout to remove all that spring loaded apparatus so I could just pour the fuel in.

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
You just need to make sure when you drill the hole none of the swarf stays in the can. Be sure to check the diameter of the vent body f0r the correct size hole. Mine was 1/2" (I think) but it may be different, and the fit on mine was very tight....like I said I had to tap it in. Then I cut the end of the fill spout to remove all that spring loaded apparatus so I could just pour the fuel in.
I put the vent in and man, does that thing pour now, much better! The neck on the vents I got were .525", I used a half inch spade bit and it worked fine, I closed the vent, put it on the ground, and turned the tank upside down on it and leaned on it to seat the vent in the hole.

When you removed the spring loaded apparatus, did that disable the pushbutton?

-- Carl