Portable gas cans

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
I don't know about you guys but I got blindsided about the change to "no spill" gas cans that happened back in '99?. Like most other people I had several of the older (and loved) cans for a bunch of years and never needed any more. Heck, I gave some away because of having too many not being used.

Well that all changed when daughters family came for a week and wanting to rent a jet ski for a couple days went and purchased 2, 5 gal cans to go with the older 5 gal I'd had for years. I said "what is this crap on them" and they're a pain to pour.

I did some checking and found out what a lot of you had probably already known. Gone, never to return!
So I checked Ebay and found they were now going for $30 or better (5 gal) plush shipping. WTF

Now I'm keeping my eyes open for good used "old style" cans in various sizes at garage sales and flea mkt's. I've picked up two like new 5's this summer and if I can find two more I'll be happy. I know you can modify the new ones to pour better, but I'd rather have the beloved old style.

Am I the only one who was unaware of the change and scrounging for the old style cans, or am I one of the many on here?
Now I'm keeping my eyes open for good used :
Toyboy:

You hit on my favorite thing to hate!!! The "environmentally friendly gas can"!!! It's the worst thing to ever hit the market at the force of the government...

For something that is supposed to prevent spills, thus save the ozone layer, it actually causes spills and destroys the environment.'

I've been able to get and keep some the old fashioned real genuine gas cans and I'll never let them go.

I wish that Andy Rooney could have done an expose' on these useless, expensive and dangerous "safety" products like this. When we are forced to join the "World Wide Safety/environmental" movement, it reflects on us Americans as innovators. These new cans are not innovations, they are problems.

Burt

ck21084

Equipment
L3200-DT, LP 1672,B7100 enrossi 5ft finish mower, 7ft backblade, 20"subsoiler
Jul 6, 2013
United States
I hate these new cans as well. I usually just take the spout off and use a funnel to fill the tractor. It does pour much faster through a 2 inch opening.

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
I refuse to buy or use anything that is called "UN Compliant" like these new gas cans. So, I bought a bunch of old style ones at tag and garage sales the last couple years. Enough to last me the rest of my life. People mostly don't realize the inflated ebay price they could get for them.
Anyway, you can buy the old style spouts in TSC and they fit right on in place of that gubbermint spout and drill a hole for a vent and plug it with some of the creative ideas described here. :D

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
I refuse to buy or use anything that is called "UN Compliant" like these new gas cans. So, I bought a bunch of old style ones at tag and garage sales the last couple years. Enough to last me the rest of my life. People mostly don't realize the inflated ebay price they could get for them.
Anyway, you can buy the old style spouts in TSC and they fit right on in place of that gubbermint spout and drill a hole for a vent and plug it with some of the creative ideas described here. :D
I refuse to pay XX$ for something that I have to modify right away to make it work properly. Call me stubborn! I'll just keep my eyes open for some good "old" ones. They're lots out there, just have to be patient.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I hate these new cans too. As others have mentioned they actually cause spills because of the awkward way you have to pull the little lever to get the spout to open up and the ridiculous short spout that cannot pour into a car or truck.

I see gas cans on the side of the road at least once a week. If it is safe for me to stop I do and I check them out. I have found two of the old style cans in the last year. One needs a new spout. I may find a spout sometime in the future and if I do, I have the can for it.

Toyboy

Equipment
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
Order a set of these, they work GREAT. Just Drill a Hole in your New Can, and it Pours Like the Old Ones

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360657081144?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
I've dealt with that seller before and she also has the replaceable spouts/gaskets if you you need them. She is extremely nice to deal with and very fast on delivery. I have some spout gaskets coming from her this week...... tomorrow probably.
I recommend checking her out if you need parts for your old style cans.

Steamguy

Equipment
BX2370
So, nobody here has tried the 'No-Spill' brand ?
Yes, I have. Mine works great! Take a moment to let the last drip happen, and NO drips or mess on the fender of the tractor!

Here's a link to one on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W9P83S/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Before I had this one, I was using one from Deutsche Optik. It's a NATO-spec can, you can get other sizes. They all take the same spout and spout gasket, although in the ten years I've had mine, I've never needed to change it. They also sell 5 and 10 liter cans, if the 20 is too big for your needs. Here's a link:

http://deutscheoptik.com/NATO-20-Liter-Jerry-Can-SINGLE-CAN.html

The reason I got the No-Spill can is that my arm doesn't work right anymore due to an accident, and with my old can I would be getting diesel all over the place when fueling the tractor. Ease of handling was my #1 thing, and no mess was the #2.

The No-Spill has a handle in a good place that allows me to steady it on the fender of the tractor; then I just push the button and the diesel flows... And I don't make a dangerous mess while doing it.

Hope that helps... without throwing diesel on the fire! ;)

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Yes, I have. Mine works great! Take a moment to let the last drip happen, and NO drips or mess on the fender of the tractor!

Here's a link to one on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W9P83S/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Before I had this one, I was using one from Deutsche Optik. It's a NATO-spec can, you can get other sizes. They all take the same spout and spout gasket, although in the ten years I've had mine, I've never needed to change it. They also sell 5 and 10 liter cans, if the 20 is too big for your needs. Here's a link:

http://deutscheoptik.com/NATO-20-Liter-Jerry-Can-SINGLE-CAN.html

The reason I got the No-Spill can is that my arm doesn't work right anymore due to an accident, and with my old can I would be getting diesel all over the place when fueling the tractor. Ease of handling was my #1 thing, and no mess was the #2.

The No-Spill has a handle in a good place that allows me to steady it on the fender of the tractor; then I just push the button and the diesel flows... And I don't make a dangerous mess while doing it.

Hope that helps... without throwing diesel on the fire! ;)
Finally someone who has tried one of the good 'new' cans. I like em better than the old cans. :D

Thank you! :cool:

Toyboy

Equipment
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
"Finally someone who has tried one of the good 'new' cans. I like em better than the old cans."

I'm sure you do and I'm sure they work very well .... BUT ... $42 for a plastic can w/spout seems quite pricy. Now if they were 1/2 that I'd be taking a long hard look at them.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Drill a hole where the vent should be and put a tubeless tire valve in it then remove the stem. When you remove the valve cap your can is vented, works great.
Richard,
Another thought to add, go to lowes or any where that sells clear tubing, buy a foot or more of .25 dia, cut it into a six inch length, drill a hole smaller than the OD of the tube and force the tube in the hole. Use a nail or something to stick in the tube so fumes cannot escape, but allows the can to breathe, pull nail out and no spills, and air can get in

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
"Finally someone who has tried one of the good 'new' cans. I like em better than the old cans."

I'm sure you do and I'm sure they work very well .... BUT ... $42 for a plastic can w/spout seems quite pricy. Now if they were 1/2 that I'd be taking a long hard look at them.
The new cheap crap is no good at all. Doesn't half work and takes three hands! I also didn't pay that much, but it's been a few years.

wolfalalone

Equipment
L3800DT,FEL,BB1260,RCR1260
Aug 7, 2013
Dickson,TN
Sweet...I saw another one that used the old style plastic vent also. They both require a 1/2" hole. I'm gonna have to look into that and fix the 2 useless cans my SIL got at WalMart.
Did this to my cans today what a difference!!!!:D:D:D:D

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
That video was informative and comical. Those good ol boys have NO CLUE why these new cans exist. The EPA mandated them to go into effect because its jackwagons like those who do not know how to pour from a fuel can into a tank without spilling any fuel all over the ground. The EPA came down hard on portable gas can manufactures because sooo much fuel was being spilt all over the ground from over pouring and general not paying attention.

wolfalalone

Equipment
L3800DT,FEL,BB1260,RCR1260
Aug 7, 2013
Dickson,TN
That video was informative and comical. Those good ol boys have NO CLUE why these new cans exist. The EPA mandated them to go into effect because its jackwagons like those who do not know how to pour from a fuel can into a tank without spilling any fuel all over the ground. The EPA came down hard on portable gas can manufactures because sooo much fuel was being spilt all over the ground from over pouring and general not paying attention.
agreed Eric people need to pay more attention to what they are doing but I cant believe the difference this makes with the new fuel cans.:cool:

Toyboy

Equipment
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi

Now I wonder how the EPA came to that decision? Did they have a drone? satellite? watching over everyone using those nasty old cans, or was it just another one of those things that the save the planet groups convinced them was necessary?
Or was it some ham handed klutz that works in the EPA that gave them the idea the we were all the sloppy?

I don't have a lot of respect for the EPA. I think they screw up more things then they help.